Stephen Edwin King was born in Portland, Maine on September 21, 1947. His parents Donald King a Merchant Marine captain and Nellie Ruth Pillsbury also adopted a son, David King that was born in 1945. He and his brother David spent much of their childhood living between Fort Wayne, Indiana, (where his father's family lived) Massachusetts and Maine with his mother and her family. Eventually Stephen, his mother and David were left to fend for themselves when his father left one day, to the store to buy a pack of cigarettes, and never returned. After discovering a box of horror and science fiction books in his aunt's house, he discovered his gift. By the time King was seven he had begun writing stories. When in school, he wrote stories based on movies he had seen recently and sold them to his friends. King attended a grammar school in Durham and Lisbon Falls High school, where he started to write short stories and played in an amateur rock band. In 1960 he submitted his first story for publication - it was rejected. He edited the school newspaper, The Drum, and also wrote for the local newspaper, Lisbon Weekly Enterprise.Inspired by writers s...
... middle of paper ...
...es a straight answer and usually says "I have the heart of a small boy......and I keep it in a jar on my desk," Which is a quote from Robert Bloch, the author of Psycho.
From the beginning of his career, King has been able to interest his audience with terror. Using experiences, king is able to apply a unique twist to his stories. He is one of the most successful horror writers of his time like one of his inspirations Edgar Allan Poe. King's place in the modern horror fiction can be compared to that of J.R.R. Tolkien's who created the modern genre of fantasy. So far King has written over 50 books, all of them are #1 bestsellers. King will continue to hold his title as king of Horror and is currently working on new TV Series and new Novels. Stephen and Tabitha now live in Florida, have three children: Naomi Rachel, Joe Hill and Owen Phillip, and three grandchildren.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Stephen Edwin King, one of the greatest horror writers of the 20th and 21st century, was born on September 21, 1947 in Portland, Maine. Stephen was born at the Maine General Hospital. He was the second son, and only son born from his mother, of the King family. Stephen had a older brother who was adopted two years prior to Stephen’s birth. (1) (2) (5) Stephen King’s parents were only together for a short while after Stephen was born. Stephen, only being a toddler, his father, Donald Edwin King, left Stephen’s mother, Ruth Pillsbury King, leaving her to care for the family with the help of relatives.... [tags: Stephen King Biography]
1249 words (3.6 pages)
- Stephen King was one most of the popular American authors in history. He was born in Portland, Marine on Sept 21, 1947. He was raised by his mother, Nellie Pillsbury, and his father, Donald King. Today, Stephen King and his wife, Tabitha King, are living in Florida. “He and Tabitha Spruce married in January of 1971. He met Tabitha in the stacks of the Fog Library at the University of Maine at Orono, where they both worked as students.” (King) He published his first horror novel while study at the University.... [tags: american authors, the stand]
1006 words (2.9 pages)
- Stephen King a very popular story writer is most famous for his horror fiction stories. He has written many books that have inspired other writers to write and other people to read more. He has made many accomplishments that a lot of writers have never achieved. According to his biography, King has sold fifty bestsellers, and has acted in a few movies that are based on his books. The use of Suspense as a literary element is constant in books written by Stephen King. This will examine Stephen King’s life and the literary criticism of his short story, “The Two Dead Girls” The Green Mile.... [tags: Biography ]
1397 words (4 pages)
- Stephen King is known by many as a successful author, but every author is only as good as his or her works. King has produced various types of works such as short stories, novels, novellas, screenplays, and comics. His work has been the “most important bridge between the horror genre and literary respectability from the late 1960s and 1970s up to the present time” (Hoppenstand 3). Stephen Edwin King was born September 21, 1947 in Portland, Maine. He is the second son of Donald Edwin and Nellie Ruth King.... [tags: Biography]
2354 words (6.7 pages)
- Stephen King; A voice in the Dark “People always ask me why I write such terrifying stories, and my reply always is; Why do you think I have a choice?” Stephen King is one of the world’s bestselling authors (and was before J.K. Rowling published Harry Potter). he is most known for his Horror stories, like IT or ‘Salem’s Lot. But also for his Horror/Fantasy novels, Like The Dark Tower Series. He writes about his fears, his problems, and things he’s overcome, and sometimes the odd. Stephen King (full name is Stephen Edwin King) was born on September 21st, 1947 in the small town of Portland, Maine.... [tags: horror stories, writing, fantasy novels]
1794 words (5.1 pages)
- The King of Horror Films The Write Brigade Stephen King Research Paper Outline 1. Introduction a. Short biography b. Thesis Statement: Stephen King uses many different elements in order to scare his readers. The elements include supernatural elements, real life scenarios, and fear of the unknown. 2. How substance abuse and a childhood accident affected King’s creativity a. Heavy drinking b. Harder drugs c. Intervention and Sobriety d. Watching one of his friends getting hit by a train 3.... [tags: Literature]
1267 words (3.6 pages)
- Stephen Edwin King was born in Portland, Maine in 1947, the second son of Donald and Nellie Ruth Pillsbury King. After his parents separated when Stephen was a toddler, he and his older brother, David, were raised by his mother. Parts of his childhood were spent in Fort Wayne, Indiana, where his father's family was at the time, and in Stratford, Connecticut. When Stephen was eleven, his mother brought her children back to Durham, Maine, for good. Her parents, Guy and Nellie Pillsbury, had become incapacitated with old age, and Ruth King was persuaded by her sisters to take over the physical care of the elderly couple.... [tags: biographies bio biography]
945 words (2.7 pages)
- BIOGRAPHY ON STEPHEN KING Stephen Edwin King was born in Portland, Maine, on September 21, 1947, the son of Donald and Nellie Ruth king. His father, a merchant seaman, deserted the family in about 1950. His mother took a succession of low-paying jobs to support him and his brother, David. A lonely, rather introverted child, King invented a more outgoing alter ego – Cannonball Cannon, a daredevil who “did good deeds” – and derived other vicarious thrills from listening to tales of horror on the radio, reading such spine-tingling comic books as Weird Science, Tales from the Crypt, and Tales from the Vault.... [tags: Essays Papers]
784 words (2.2 pages)
- Both Harper Lee and Stephen King are well known authors throughout the novel world. This could not be accomplished by both of them with out great individual writing styles. While Harper Lee and Stephen King both exemplify great writing styles in relation to the six traits of writing in their books, Harper Lee chooses to focus more on voice in her work by holding the readers attention by using great diction in To Kill a Mocking Bird, while Stephen King prefers to focus more on idea development from using great and vivid detail that is set in a realistic everyday place in his style of writing.... [tags: Literary Comparison]
480 words (1.4 pages)
- Bio of Steven King Stephen King Stephen Edwin King was born September 21, 1947in Portland, Maine, U.S. He is an American novelist and short-story writer whose many novels and story collections, and the numerous films adapted from this large body of work, have established his reputation as the leading author of horror fictions in contemporary literature, and with reviving the genre of horror fiction in the late 20th century. King graduated from the University of Maine in 1970 with a bachelor's degree in English.... [tags: Biography Biographies]
483 words (1.4 pages)