Dearlove, D. (1998)
William Gates III was born in Seattle, Washington, US, on October 28, 1955. His father, William Henry Gates (II) Jr., was a lawyer while his mother, Mary Gates, was a school teacher. At a very young age, Gates showed a lot of intelligence. At primary school, he was particularly fond of Maths and Science. Since his childhood, he was enjoyed reading business magazines. Noticing his eagerness to learn, his parents enrolled him in Lakeside Preparatory School at the age of 12. Here Gates saw a computer for the first time in his life.
Gates, along with his friend, Paul Allen , used to spend hours in front of the computer. Sometimes he spent the whole day in the computer room reading computer books and magazines and developing computer programs. Gates was so obsessed with the computer that he often missed his classes and never did his homework on time.
In late 1968, Gates and Allen, along with two other schoolmates, formed a group called the 'Lakeside Programmers Group'. Gates and Allen had visions of solving practical problems through the use of computers. They got an opportunity in 1971 when Information Sciences Inc. recruited them to develop a program to manage their payroll system.
Gates and Allen soon got many opportunities to prove their computer skills. In 1972, they started their own company called 'Traf-O-Data.' They developed a portable computer that allowed them t...
... middle of paper ...
...0th century, as well as one of top 100 influential people of 2004, 2005 and 2006. Considering so many hold Gates in the highest standing, it is not surprising
that in many published definitions of an entrepreneur, you will find the name Bill Gates followed closely.
Gates has also given over half of his life earnings to charity and other public minded organisations. This has helped him achieve not only the status of one of the world's greatest entrepreneurs, but also a man who ultimately cares about the future of society, which is reflected in new product developments and technologies, all of which are designed to make our lives simpler.
Dearlove, D. (1998) Business the Bill Gates Way: 10 Secrets of the Worlds Richest Business Leader. Capstone Publishing, Oxford.
Moguilnaia, N. (2006) Entrepreneurship In Business Today. McGraw-Hill, Maidenhead.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- “We've really achieved the ideal of what I wanted Microsoft to become.” -Bill Gates, June 2008 William Gates III was born in Seattle, Washington, US, on October 28, 1955. His father, William Henry Gates (II) Jr., was a lawyer whereas his mother, Mary Gates, was a teacher. At an early age, Gates showcased a great deal of intellect. At primary school, he was especially fond of Math and Science. Ever since his childhood, he appreciated reading business magazines. Acknowledging his ardor to learn, his parents enrolled him in Lakeside Preparatory School at the age of 12.... [tags: Biography, Entrepeneur, Windows]
1291 words (3.7 pages)
- "Bill Gates is a modern business phenomenon: the greatest of the cyber-tycoons. His is not simply a story of technical brilliance and enormous wealth; it is one of remarkable business vision and an obsessive desire to win. It is also about a leadership style that is radically different to anything the business world has seen before." Dearlove, D. (1998) William Gates III was born in Seattle, Washington, US, on October 28, 1955. His father, William Henry Gates (II) Jr., was a lawyer while his mother, Mary Gates, was a school teacher.... [tags: Biography Biographies Bio]
1505 words (4.3 pages)
- Per Inverstopedia.com, an entrepreneur is a person who starts a new business or organization, taking some personal financial risk to do so. This person also receives the rewards that come from their idea that they are trying to sale to people. Entrepreneurship can be very important to a society. Some of the things an entrepreneur can do, but is not limited to, is help create more jobs, help the economy grow in their community, and create positive change for new ideas to keep flowing. The entrepreneur lifestyle is not always glamorous.... [tags: Entrepreneurship, Entrepreneur]
1335 words (3.8 pages)
- Bill Gates Leader Report My favorite leader is William Henry Gates III, or Bill Gates to most people. Bill Gates is a computer engineer and world-class entrepreneur. He founded Microsoft Corporation in 1975 with a high school friend named Paul Allen. The leadership role that he serves is chairman and chief software architect of Microsoft Corporation. Up until 1998, Gates was CEO of the company, but he relieved himself of those duties, and currently is only a software architect and serves on the Microsoft committee.... [tags: Bill Gates]
1327 words (3.8 pages)
- I have picked Steve Jobs and Bill Gates as my choice for the cultural icons. They are well known for the companies they have founded and are very popular in today’s day in age. They are both united into making well-built and magnificent products that are under their business known as Apple and Microsoft. They do have their differences on who makes the better computer or other product, fighting for which is better. Both of them have their popularity, and have their importance in this society, giving hope to young entrepreneurs into starting their own business and they, as well as their team, push technology into a whole new level.... [tags: Steve Jobs, Apple Inc., Bill Gates, Microsoft]
858 words (2.5 pages)
- When people think of a hero they think of Superman, Batman, or Spiderman, but what they should think of are people that make difference. Bill Gates has made a huge difference in today’s world; he is an extremely successful entrepreneur, an active philanthropist, and a very motivated person in general. With this motivation he has and will accomplish anything he puts his mind to. He was CEO of Microsoft and became the richest man in the world. He also created one of the most credible and generous charitable organization in the world.... [tags: Biography, Bill Gates]
1372 words (3.9 pages)
- Have you ever looked at a business like Apple or Microsoft and wondered what it would be like to be the next Steve Jobs or Bill Gates. If you are inspired to be the next big entrepreneur, this is the book for you. Sam Calagione, owner of Dogfish Head Craft Brewery, gives an unparalleled guide in Brewing up a Business: Adventures in Beer from the Founder of Dogfish Head Craft Brewery of how to successfully build your own dream business. A high school dropout, Calagione successfully turns a home brewing kit into a business with annual revenue of fifty million dollars.... [tags: Beer, Brewing, Beer style, Business]
1642 words (4.7 pages)
- One of the most influential and global changing person this world has is a man who at such young age changed the world in a technological way in his garage. This man has began to aid foreign lands with his money to help the people in there with deadly diseases and lack of medicine. He has invested in the education of United States, and has influenced the world in a certain aspects. The man has changed the way we work with our computers and business. This man is Bill Gates the co-founder of Microsoft.... [tags: Technology, Computers]
1360 words (3.9 pages)
- Synopsis Born on October 28, 1955, in Seattle, Washington, well-known entrepreneur Bill Gates began to demonstrate a curiosity in computer programming at age 13. Through technical modernization, enthusiastic business plan and aggressive business tactics, he and colleague Paul Allen built the world's leading software enterprise, Microsoft. In the development, Gates became one of the wealthiest men in the world. Bill was avid reader as small boy, spending several hours pouring over research guides for example the encyclopedia.... [tags: microsoft, ibm, yahoo, competitor]
1640 words (4.7 pages)
- According to Conrad Hilton, an American hotelier and owner of the Hilton hotels quoted that: "Achievement seems to be connected with action. Successful men and women keep moving. They make mistakes but they don’t quit", (Conrad, 2016). In order to be a successful entrepreneur, taking risks and being able to solve problems is vital. This essay will give a general idea of how to become a successful entrepreneur by comparing and contrasting my own characteristics to those found in entrepreneurs, and also with the advantage of taking a General Enterprise Tendency Test, I will be able to self-asses my enterprising potentials.... [tags: Entrepreneurship, Entrepreneur, Joseph Schumpeter]
1549 words (4.4 pages)