I.B.M’s Watson, a highly intelligent computer was able to defeat very smart people in a game of Jeopardy!.According to John Markoff, a Journalist, “Watson, specifically, is a “question answering machine” of a type that artificial intelligence have struggled with for decades…” (qtd. in Computer Wins on “Jeopardy!”: Trivial, It’s Not 212). The smart computer revealed to the world of the powers embedded in its memory by coming up with logical answers in a faster pace than a human mind can respond. Stephen Baker, a Journalist, describes Watsons’ victory against two humans as thrashing (218). What is so defeating about this victory is the fact that Watson is in fact a computer. Of course this phenomenon is now a hot topic on how this smart computer outwits the human mind. Markoff and Baker agree that technology is getting better.
The reason why Watson was such a shock to scientist is the fact that Watson does not have a brain and could process information. John Searle, a Professor of the Philosophy of Mind and Language, described Watson to be a computer that simply was able to manipulate symbols and generate an answer (215). As astounding as this may seem, most would believe that computers should be able to generate a feasible answer ...
... middle of paper ...
... AI is the mimicking. First they are comparing to God 's best creation the human mind, yet they are questionably taking over jobs and our minds. Humans have built smart machines to overpower the human mind and to take over lazy humans jobs. It is crazy how you can program a computer to tell you about a story off the news when you could simply read for yourself. Yet they talk and tell just like we do. We should not be compared for us as humans are deep intellectual thinkers and computers are imitators, they do as we tell them.
Humans are not great at a lot of things but thinking (positively) is our strongest power. Well after all, humans have spent time building these smart machines. Humans have something that can never be imitated or even taken, the mind. We make mistakes but computers will always have glitches. The comparison between humans and AI is incomparable.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- A 15-person startup company called Robotica has the stated mission of “Developing innovative Artificial Intelligence tools that allow humans to live more and work less.” They have several existing products already on the market and a handful more in development. They’re most excited about a seed project named Turry. Turry is a simple AI system that uses an arm-like appendage to write a handwritten note on a small card. The team at Robotica thinks Turry could be their biggest product yet. The plan is to perfect Turry’s writing mechanics by getting her to practice the same test note over and over again: “We love our customers.... [tags: Human, Humans, Earth, Artificial intelligence]
1488 words (4.3 pages)
- There are many concerns about the negative effects of technological advancement including: threat to privacy, electronic error or malfunction, and automation leading to loss of humanity. Many researchers argue that electronic advancement comes at a negative cost to human performance. Leading computer advancement leads to reliance on technology to perform menial tasks. However, there are arguments that state that humans are in fact the ones who threaten all forms of advancement because the produce majority of the error that risks lives and make mistakes.... [tags: Technological Advancements, Privacy, Effects]
1142 words (3.3 pages)
- Description: There are many concerns about the negative effects of technological advancement including: threat to privacy, electronic error or malfunction, and automation leading to loss of humanity. Many researchers argue that electronic advancement comes at a negative cost to human performance. Leading computer advancement leads to reliance on technology to perform menial tasks. However, there are arguments that state that humans are in fact the ones who threaten all forms of advancement because the produce majority of the error that risk lives and make mistakes.... [tags: Technological Advancements, Negative Effects]
1102 words (3.1 pages)
- When AI is discussed it 's often talked about in a very vague and generic way. While it 's certainly true that AI could one day cause damage to people in general, it could also cause damage to specific industries in specific situations.AI in today 's world does have a major impact in most peoples everyday lives, it helps people find solutions to very difficult problems in a more like human fashion. However like everything in life too much of something is bad, and I feel that AI in the future could be a threat to mankind.... [tags: Human, Humans, Thing, Artificial intelligence]
1938 words (5.5 pages)
- Artificial Intelligence, are they an existential threat to us. Artificial Intelligence (AI) is the area of computer science focusing on creating machines that can engage on behaviors that humans consider intelligent. The ability to create intelligent machines has intrigued humans since ancient times and today with the advent of the computer and 50 years of research into AI programming techniques, the dream of smart machines is becoming a reality. These smart machines can mimic human’s thought, understand speech, and do other countless things that was not possible before.... [tags: Artificial intelligence, Computer, Transhumanism]
1174 words (3.4 pages)
- Annotated Bibliography: Bilton, Nick. “Artificial Intelligence as a Threat.” The New York Times. The New York Times, 5 Nov. 2014. Web. 17 Nov. 2014l. Nick Bilton starts “Artificial Intelligence as a Threat” with a comparison of Ebola, Bird flu, SARS, and artificial intelligence. Noted by Bilton, humans can stop Ebola, bird flu, and SARS. However, artificial intelligence, if it ever exceeds human intelligence, would not be stoppable by humans. Bilton, in his article, argues that AI is the biggest threat to humans at our current time, more serious than Ebola and other diseases.... [tags: Logic, Argument, Artificial intelligence]
1942 words (5.5 pages)
- The field of artificial intelligence was created in 1955 by a group of researchers who wanted to “make machines use language, form abstractions and concepts, solve the kinds of problems now reserved for humans, and improve themselves” (Khatchadourian 71). During this time, people aspired for, not feared, a future with civilizations made of intelligent robots. Today, critics of artificial intelligence seem to fear it for the eventual higher than human level of intelligence that its creators planned for it to ultimately possess all along.... [tags: DNA, Gene, Artificial intelligence, Genetics]
1753 words (5 pages)
- Don’t Let the AI Byte. Mankind will be reduced to a lazy, incapable, and less dominant being because of artificial intelligence (AI). This idea is a possible future outcome if artificial intelligence is allowed to be created and used in people’s everyday lives. That is because AI is there to replace human’s need to think. AI’s main purpose is to make people’s lives easier and help reduce the number of mistakes made in society. The majority of the population wants AI to be created to take over their boring, everyday lives.... [tags: Artificial intelligence, Computer, Human, Emotion]
1838 words (5.3 pages)
- Artificial Intelligence The approach to artificial intelligence should be proceeded with caution. Throughout recent years and even decades before, it has been a technological dream to produce artificial intelligence. From movies, pop culture, and recent technological advancements, there is an obsession with robotics and their ability to perform actions that require human intelligence. Artificial intelligence has become a real and approachable realization today, but should be approached with care and diligence.... [tags: Artificial intelligence, Psychology, Mind]
975 words (2.8 pages)
- An Overview of Artificial Intelligence Artificial Intelligence, a concept that would make possible our most remote dreams, specially for housewives. Would not it be interesting to know what is this marvelous thing that is going to make our dreams come true. I think it is. AI(Artificial Intelligence) is a fairly new field in Computer Science, my subject, which I found very interesting. AI it is not a well defined concept yet, which it is not a surprise for me, considering that is a very new term and that it contains a word that is has not been well defined either.... [tags: Technology Artificial Intelligence Essays]
1745 words (5 pages)