Kouzes and Posner (2012) described the best practices of what makes an excellent leader and what inspires people to follow leaders and develop leadership skills within themselves. Based on research that has been regularly reinvestigated and updated, the authors determine five major practices that consistently emerged in their study of when leaders do their best. The best leaders “model the way, inspire a shared vision, challenge the process, enable others to act, and encourage the heart” (Kouzes & Posner, 2012, p. 3).
From these practices the authors described ten commitments of leadership defined as “the essential behaviors that leaders employ to make extraordinary things happen” (Kouzes & Posner, 2012, p. 5). In order to model the way, Kouzes and Posner (2012) explained that leaders need to clarify their values by determining their own values and affirming the shared values between themselves and the organization. Leaders need to set the example by living the shared values they have determined and teaching others to model these values. Kouzes and Posner (2012) promoted inspiring a shared vision through envisioning the future and enlisting others to help. Leaders find this vision by imagining possibilities and finding a common purpose. Enlisting others helps to determine common ideals and collaboratively brings the vision to life.
Next, Kouzes and Posner (2012) expressed that leaders should challenge the process by taking initiative and using outside ideas for new applications. This practice involves experimenting and taking risks, knowing that failure is not an end but a way to learn how to move in new directions. The fourth practice involved enabling others to act through fostering collabora...
... middle of paper ...
...knowing that what they are learning is beyond the books and answers the higher purpose of living a God-centered life.
I also want to explore how I can contribute to my new school and challenge the process in order to help them build a better school that meets the needs of its students and families. My new principal made it apparent to me during my interview that we are serving as missionary teachers; being a missionary in a focused setting is a new lens for me to view my work through and understand how I am contributing to Kingdom education. My goal this year is to learn how I fit into education and make a significant contribution to building students up for Christian work while preparing them to move forward into their next school. Most of my students are military children who will be attending the American high school next year, a new challenge for most of them.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- What makes a fantastic leader. There are many different supporting parts of becoming a great leader but, the most important figure would have to be the ability to take action. Taking action provides the ability to move forward. Without action nothing would happen and people would stand still. A leader must have the ability to see an opportunity and press on to use such an occasion to the fullest value. Most opportunities do not just present themselves. There must be plans of action that must be made to make opportunities.... [tags: leadership, gates]
939 words (2.7 pages)
- Since I entered into the military school, this term “the leadership” has surrounded me. Many senior officers I acquainted told me that leadership is an art, because it could be demonstrated by whichever you employ and it has no any criteria answer. What is a good leader. What kind of characteristic should a leader possess. How to become a leader. No one has a specific description. Today, I am going to discuss this topic and to share personal experiences of the leadership. What is a good leader.... [tags: Management, Leadership, Question, Platoon]
718 words (2.1 pages)
- Roles of the Mayor What's a mayor supposed to do. To further understand the duties and responsibilities of a mayor, I looked into provincial acts relating to this (The City of Toronto Act). According to this act1 a mayor's role is: As a member of council: to represent the public and to consider the well-being and interests of the City to develop and evaluate the policies and programs of the City to determine which services the City provides to ensure that polices and procedures are in place to implement the decisions of council; to ensure the accountability and transparency of the operations of the City to maintain the financial integrity of the City to carry out the duties of council As he... [tags: Politics, Leader]
929 words (2.7 pages)
- Who is the Better Leader. In a group, there are always people who prove to have better leadership skills then others. The strongest of these people can often influence the weaker people into following them. However, the strongest person is not necessarily the best leader as it is proven in William Golding's book, The Lord of the Flies. Although Ralph is the weaker person, he is still able to show a better understanding of people than Jack who is stronger. Ralph demonstrates his excellent leadership skills throughout the book by keeping the group in line, treating everyone with respect, and staying focused on getting rescued.... [tags: essays research papers]
921 words (2.6 pages)
- Will A Women Make A Better Leader. Marissa Mayer, Martine Rothblatt, Carol Mayrowitz, Meg Whitman and Indra Nooyi; You may have questioned why I used these five names, well the names as mention are the top 5 women that are CEOs of major companies such as Yahoo, United Therapeutics, TJX Companies, Hewlett-Packard and PepsiCo. These five women are also the highest and top paid women CEO but there’s clearly no recognition, billionaires of companies that are males are constantly displayed and recognize more than women.... [tags: Leadership, Ethics, Business ethics, Boss]
1118 words (3.2 pages)
- Have you ever thought about your past or current manager(s) and their leadership skills. Are they good leaders. Think about the different traits and characteristics they have as a manager. A good leader and manager is able to empathize with their employees, take constructive criticism, and actively listen to what their employees have to say. Another aspect that a good leader must have is to be able to create a welcoming environment for each individual employee by providing proper orientations and ways for the employees to get to know each other.... [tags: Management, Leadership, Team, The A-Team]
2491 words (7.1 pages)
- Nursing Leadership Leadership is the ability to lead or guide others. Leadership develop is an action that increases the eminence of leadership in a company or individual. One being taught how to be a leader develops leadership. According to Grossman and Valiga (2013), “emergence as a leader is a developmental learning process in which capacities, insights and skill gained through one experience or at one level serve as the basis for further growth; thus, leaders go through stages in their developments.”(p178) This type of leadership development is important in the producing of qualified leaders.... [tags: Leadership, Nursing]
1525 words (4.4 pages)
- What makes a great leader, and how can I be that person. Or maybe the better question is, could I be that person. I’ve spent some time this semester asking the people who I considered to be great school leaders what are the characteristics of a good Leader. Two of the most common answers included: A good leader is someone that empowers people to make their own decisions. This sounds good, however, implies that we let the employees make up their own minds about what to do, and how to get the end result.... [tags: Leadership]
1034 words (3 pages)
- Organizational Analysis the Nurse Leader The nurse leader that I decide to analyze from my organization is Stacy Nigliazzo, RN, CEN, BSN; she has been a registered nurse for ten years; and she has been working on the emergency department during all these years. She is proud to work for a non-profit organization such as, Memorial Hermann Northeast because the care offered it is centered on the needs of the patient. She is always smiling and has great customer service skills; Stacy is a great manager, leader, and role model to follow.... [tags: Nursing, Nurse, Nursing board certification]
923 words (2.6 pages)
- When talking about a leader, there is no set of characteristics that can describe one. But there are a couple of characteristics that may work especially well. Vision is one of those characteristics. A strong vision by definition is the core values of a company. It defines purpose, and describes what leaders see for their business in the future.  In every aspect, vision brings meaning to work, and helps people become proactive. A good vision identifies direction and purpose; it is well articulated and easily understood, as well as being ambitious.... [tags: Transformational, Transactional, Vision]
711 words (2 pages)