In Best Buy’s 2013 Annual Report, they company discusses its current International Segment (Best Buy, 2013). In 2009, Best Buy acquired the remaining 25% interest of Five Star (Best Buy, 2013). In 2013, they introduced the Best Buy Mobile concept in China (Best Buy, 2013). After success in its Canadian stores, they now offer the store-within-a-store experience in select Five Star stores (Best Buy, 2013).
Best Buy’s strength as a company comes from its innovative nature. They took their salespeople off commission to provide a different, informal buying experience for their customers (Ferrell & Hartline, 2011). The company also specializes in repairs through its Geek Squad division, which is an innovation that sets them apart from competitors (Ferrell & Hartline, 2011).
Best Buy’s weakness is its ever-growing competition in the CE retail market (Ferrell & Hartline, 2011). The online retailers are simply outpacing them. Even when a consumer goes to the store to look at a product, Best Buy is not guaranteed a sale. Often consumers will go try out the products in a store, like Best Buy, but then order the product online after they...
... middle of paper ...
...brand strategy that they used in Canada as a reference, Best Buy should begin positioning itself as the competition of Five Star. With the freedom that the dual-brand gives to test different strategies, Best Buy will be able to get a feel for what truly works in the Chinese market. Once they have gained a fair amount of the market share, they need to remain innovative. This is the stage where ideas, like the store-within-a-store experience, could be implemented.
Aaker, D. A. (2004). Leveraging the Corporate Brand. (cover story). California Management Review, 46(3), 6-18.
Best Buy (2013). Retrieved from http://www.bestbuy.com/
Ferrell, O.C. & Hartline, M. (2011). Marketing Strategy. 5th edition. South-Western/Cengage Learning.
Muse, W. V., & Hartung, K. L. (1973). Consumer Perception of a Dual Brand Name. Journal Of Retailing, 49(1), 23.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Today, Best Buy advertises using a “Low Price Guarantee” (Best Buy, 2013). They will match prices on qualifying products if the consumer finds a lower price elsewhere (Best Buy, 2013). Best Buy claims to be the “world’s largest multi-channel consumer electronics retailer with store in the U.S., Canada, China and Mexico” (Best Buy, 2013). That being said, they are the 10th largest online retailer in the U.S. and Canada (Best Buy, 2013). Their loyalty program, Best Buy Reward Zone, is ranked among the best of its kind (Best Buy, 2013).... [tags: Case Study]
1101 words (3.1 pages)
- When reading about the case study of the Kibbutz I came to a realization that each aspect of the Kibbutz system had some aspects of desirability, viability, and achievability. There were also the negative aspects that caused them to be unappealing or unachievable. When further analyzing the idea of the Kibbutz I came to a conclusion that even though some of the principles or beliefs were undesirable, achievable, or viable that it was still the best choice based off those three terms. The reason for this is because it has the most benefits and the least amount of flaws in the ideals of the system.... [tags: Causality, Sociology, Person, Case study]
828 words (2.4 pages)
- Pieles de La Garriga Case Study Summary In the Pieles de La Garriga case study we have to decide whether we are going to accept the offer of Comerpiel and under which conditions. In order to make our decision we have to consider some criteria. The criteria that I identified as the most important are the lack of capacity for the first month if we decide to take the whole order, the profit or loss, the risk that Comerpiel will back out the contract, and the strategic implications of our decision.... [tags: Business Case Study Analysis]
1850 words (5.3 pages)
- Porters Five Forces Model As strategy consultants of McCormick & Associates, we use Porters Five Forces Model as a framework when making a qualitative evaluation of a firm's strategic position (Appendix 1.2). These five forces determine the competitive intensity and therefore attractiveness of a market. These forces affect the ability of a company to serve its customers and make a profit. A change in any of the forces normally requires a company to re-assess the market place. Bargaining Power of Customers Is high when buyers have many choices of whom to buy from and low when the choices are few.... [tags: Broadway Café Case Study]
1950 words (5.6 pages)
- Social Media Case Study Analysis Effective communication in an organization is one of the components of its success. Managers are charged with navigating communication obstacles while making every effort to harness its benefits. This onus placed on managers is compounded by organizational advancements and the application of new technologies. One relatively new organizational technology being applied is the use of social media. Social media creates communication issues yet conversely alleviates specific communication barriers by playing several roles within organizations today.... [tags: communication, security, workplace]
791 words (2.3 pages)
- Video games might have started out as a very small market. But today, this market has grown even bigger than the movie or music industry. Each year, millions and millions games fly off store shelves. Grand Theft Auto V broke sales records of the fastest selling entertainment property ever. While this game and others such as Call of Duty, Battlefield, and Assassin’s Creed sell millions of copies every year, other games don’t sell so well and just sit in store shelves. So, why do gamers rush out to stores to buy some games and pass by others.... [tags: Video Game Sales]
2325 words (6.6 pages)
- A Case Analysis: Mahalo Company Mahalo Company, founded in 1953, has been playing a leader within the U.S. financial industry for several decades. Mahalo is well known for providing its high quality financial services, its major clients from banks, investment companies to insurance companies in the United States. Mahalo Company has a total of 3000 employees working nationwide from the west coast to the east coast of the United States, and 500 employees work at the headquarters location- the South of Florida state.... [tags: Business, Case Study, solution]
1975 words (5.6 pages)
- Incomplete OBJECTIVE : To evaluate present organizational structure and management control system of Birch Paper Company particularly on the decentralized operations of its divisions with respect to its overall performance. PROBLEM : What effective management control system or systems should the Company adopt to attain maximum profitability not only of its divisionsâ€™ respective operations but that of the Company as a whole. AREAS OF CONSIDERATION 1. Company Background Birch Paper Company is a medium-sized, vertically integrated paper company, producing white and kraft papers and paperboard.... [tags: Business, Case Study, solution]
1657 words (4.7 pages)
- Tivo Inc, an assignment 1.0 Introduction The case is about the introduction of Tivo, a new service that provides the TV viewer the flexibility to watch what they want when. The product is expected to change the way people watch TV by offering them the flexibility in programming, skipping commercials, pausing live TV and recording programmes for future viewing. In addition, the service offers captures the subscriber's preferences and can automatically record programmes that are considered to be in this category.... [tags: Business Case Study]
1711 words (4.9 pages)
- The case study I have chosen to analyse is the Men's Health Case Study. The dilemma being faced by Mr Kerton and the Men's Health production team is one of ensuring the success of the magazine in a relatively young, dynamic and exciting environment in which there are no barriers to entry and new competitors are able to enter. In this particular instance Mr. Kerton is somewhat concerned about the entry of Maxim magazine and the possible entry of Esquire magazine into the men's lifestyle magazine market.... [tags: Magazine Analysis Men's Health]
1458 words (4.2 pages)