There are many benefits to using video games as a learning tool. For example, video games are very fun and immersive. By transferring educational content into a game-like platform, the idea is that because the student will be engaged, not only will they learn the content to an even greater extent than would be possible in a standard classroom, but the student would more than likely enjoy it. Not only that, but because they are having fun while participating in the activity, the content they are learning will stick much better inside a child’s mind. While games are fun and engaging, they also require deep thinking such as a game of chess. The reason that chess is used in this sense is that to create artificial intelligence, it must be known that the AI makes its moves based on logic, and what better way than using a game that involves limitless scenarios like chess, checkers, or any other game similar to them. Likewise, video games can be used to engage students in their learning to a much greater degree than a teacher could possibly imagine doing.
One of the major problems involved i...
... middle of paper ...
... to be adopted by educators is higher now than it ever has been.
The probability of Gamification being widely accepted by educators, parents, and everyone else is higher now than ever before. When the time comes that Gamification grows to this level, the federal government will have to take action and either accept the evolution of the education system, or deny all of the usefulness that it brings along with it to the system. This goes to show the evolution of our educational system in America, going from play to lectures, and from lectures to the future of technology assisted teaching. Chances that within the next decade, whether Gamification is accepted or not, the method of teaching being used currently will change rapidly as more and more technology becomes available to us day to day. A new age is coming; and age of technology, known even now as the Digital Age.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Video games have been argued about for decades. Some people have argued that video games are linked to violence. However, new research shows that video games can be used for therapeutic purposes, exercise, stress relievers, positive interactive learning, hand eye coordination, and different types of patient treatment for people all around the world. When playing video games, the coordination and concentration can physically, socially, and mentally benefit the user. Research today shows that certain video games can reduce fat and therefore promote weight loss.... [tags: Video Games]
1776 words (5.1 pages)
- “4 out of 5 households contain at least one device used to play video games.” This was said by Colin Campbell, a journalist and writer that published a novel about the gaming industry. We always hear from parents and others that video games are a waste of time, or they kill brain cells, but what about the benefits of playing video games. Why aren’t people talking about the benefits of playing video games. Video games have benefits in multiple areas. A couple areas for example would be education or work related benefits.... [tags: Video game console, Wii, Game controller]
1056 words (3 pages)
- Crooks 1 Studies show that video games can in fact, be beneficial to you. Many times when you hear people talk about video games, it is usually talking about how they ruin people’s minds. While there is little evidence to back up those claims, on the other hand, there is also evidence defending it. Video games can have many social, educational, and/or cognitive benefits. Not all video games are rated violent, such as the Call of Duty, Mortal Kombat, or Battlefield. Instead there are games that are considered prosocial games and are rated E for everyone.... [tags: Violence, Benefits, Gaming, Technology]
1136 words (3.2 pages)
- Violent video games are a source of entertainment for young people today. However, some people view violent video games as a dangerous influence in society. Violent video games are not all bad and should be embraced, because of holistic benefits and shaping the world of tomorrow as well as understanding why young people play. Playing video games may actually improve one’s health. Anxiety is a fear that can affect a player’s state of wellness. According to The American Pain Society, In 2010, video games with emphasis on virtual reality have been effective in lowering anxiety or pain caused by medical procedures or incurable sickness ( Guerini).... [tags: Pro Video Game Violence]
1002 words (2.9 pages)
- In our current education system, there is a concept called gamification which is rapidly growing from day to day. Well, what is gamification. Gamification is the concept of applying game like thinking to non-game applications to make them much more entertaining and immersive with students. It is an attempt to make things in school that are not very fun and engaging and applying qualities from games to make them that way. This paper will talk about the benefits that video games provide for a learning experience, why educators are cautious about adding in video game based learning, and the future potential of education through the use of gamification.... [tags: Education, Psychology, School, Teacher]
909 words (2.6 pages)
- According to the Entertainment Software Association, a US association whose purpose is to serve the business and public affairs of companies that make computer and video games , about 185 million Americans play video games (2014 Essential Facts 2). This not only includes children, but adults and seniors as well. Even though this is over half of the country, many people assume those who play video games are lazy, aggressive, and anti-social. Many games are violent and can be very addictive for some so it’s understandable that people would believe this.... [tags: physical and mental health]
1794 words (5.1 pages)
- Most people think that playing video games will lead you to a life of crime, delinquency, and slothfulness. The opposite, however, is the truth. Video games can be used to improve hand eye coordination, vision, reaction times, and much more. Does this mean kids should spend all day, everyday playing. No. This occurs when they are used properly and in moderation. Video games actually help your motor skills and other physical aspects, contrary to popular belief. In a study done in New York, one set of surgeons played video games for 3 hours a week, while the other set played none.... [tags: Gaming]
506 words (1.4 pages)
- In the past few decades there has been debate over the positive and negative affects of video games with a good deal of focus on more violent games. Prior to and concurrently with this debate, there have also been similar debates over radio, television, and movies but, as should be obvious from the current breadth of media, no studies have definitively proven any negative affects. The detractors of video games claim, based on media effects research, that people who play video games with any sort of violence in them have heightened antisocial and decreased prosocial tendencies afterwards; this is the assumed cause of certain acts of violence including the majority of school shootings.... [tags: Benefits Video Games 2014]
1310 words (3.7 pages)
- The Educational Benefits of Video Games The repetition of the statement claiming that video games do not help children in their educational enterprises is unfair. There have been numerous studies conducted providing evidence that children gain structural knowledge while engaging in video game play (Pillay 2002). Certainly, different styles of video games may produce different results. It is important for us to understand the different benefits from the various styles of games. Because students play a wide variety of games, they may have a repertoire of schemas with different information (Pillay 2002).... [tags: Persuasive Teaching Education]
1292 words (3.7 pages)
- In the 21st century, society is noticing a drastic change in the new generation. Going outside has become a thing of the past for some and many parents struggle to get their children to stop playing video games. Submersed in the world of violent video games, society has started to scorn the idea of them. Though video games seem to have a lot of drawbacks, other parts of society encourage the development of video games. While many believe that video games are detrimental to society they actually hold many benefits for all age ranges.... [tags: psychology, new generation behavior]
1575 words (4.5 pages)