The perfect time to be an exchange student is while being a high school student. The group of students between the age of 15 and 18 is the one that seems to be the most able to naturally participate and adjust to the lifestyles and values of a foreign family and community (Youth For Understanding, 2013). At this age, teens are also more likely to want to try something new and the most effective way of doing it is to become an exchange student. This was the case for the famous Texan actor Matthew McConaughey, who spent a year on an exchange programme in Australia as a teenager: "I always had a wanderlust for travelling and I wanted to take a year off to go take an adventure, and it was," he has said of the experience (The Telegraph, 2011). In addition, in high school, students are not a...
... middle of paper ...
...rams and because if all the students had the same chances we would have a more democratic society, I strongly believe that all high school students should be required to fulfil one exchange year abroad.
AFS. (2008). Developmental Model for Intercultural Sensitivity …for friends of AFS; Long-Term Impact Study (2007-2008). New York: Milton, B., & Mitchell, H.
AFS Intercultural Programs. (2011). AFS & Exchange Programs. Retrieved from AFS Intercultural Programs website: http://www.afs.org/afs-and-exchange-programs/
The Telegraph. (2011). Education, Celebrities who studied abroad. Retrieved from The Telegraph website: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/expateducation/9225920/Celebrities-who-studied-abroad.html?frame=2202935
Youth For Understanding. (2013). History. Retrieved from Youth For Understanding website: http://yfuusa.org/about-yfu/history.php
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- In 20th century, due to modern development in the field of science, history and technology, the people are interacting with each other through satellite and internet. It has now become a necessary for all governments to collaborate with each other in all sectors of life either related to the business or the education. It can be done only through the exchange of the language, culture, and traditions (Caffarella & Daffron, 2013). The Middle East is an important location of the world because of the tremendous energy resources like the oil, gas etc.... [tags: international students,exchange student,traditions]
1534 words (4.4 pages)
- Studying abroad has opened many opportunities for the young people who can be educated in the developed world, where many universities with high-quality training, living conditions and excellent learning. Students can learn modern knowledge which is regularly updated and meet international standards. In the international exchange environment multiculturalism, where always uphold the principle of education learning by doing, students will gain a lot of work skills and life skills, for a good job and a promising earnings in the future.... [tags: Education, Learning, Student]
1275 words (3.6 pages)
- Since 1910, the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) has been the most dominant collegiate athletic organization in the United States. Originally created to solidify the rules for the various sports of the time, this nonprofit association has grown to a combination of 1,281 conferences, organizations, institutions, and individuals. Based on the NCCA’s Constitution, the primary purposes of the organization is to promote intercollegiate athletics in the United States, to "maintain intercollegiate athletics as an integral part of the educational program and the athlete as an integral part of the student body, [and to] retain a clear line of demarcation between intercollegiate athlet... [tags: revenue, graduation, quality of life]
2249 words (6.4 pages)
- One of the fastest growing populations in the Higher education in the United States is international student. Nearly every single university campus has foreign students who are involved in classes, researches, teaching and at the same time getting know this country better. Other students after finishing their degree in the United States goes back home and become leaders in their country. However, other international students’ stays and helps to grow our economy by contributing their skills and knowledge they have gain studying in this country.... [tags: international, insurance, scholarships]
1594 words (4.6 pages)
- Bilingual education: The Benefits of Technology The topic of discussion will introduce how technology can benefit Bilingual education in classrooms across the United States. Alone, Bilingual education is a controversial issue. There are several people and organizations in this country who, for various reasons, are opposed to bilingual education. Minorities in the Classroom It is estimated that by the turn of the century up to 40 percent of the children in the nation’s classrooms will be non-white, with the majority Latino.... [tags: essays papers]
1849 words (5.3 pages)
Youth For Understanding ( Yfu ) Is A Non Profit Organization That Connects Host Families With Exchange Students
- Youth for Understanding Youth for Understanding (YFU) is a non-profit organization that connects host families with exchange students all around the world. My family first contacted YFU in 2006 and since then we have hosted 3 exchange students from Europe and Asia. YFU was helpful and hosting our first student was effortless. People looking to host an exchange student should go through Youth for Understanding because they are an experienced organization that will make the process smooth and easy.... [tags: Student exchange program, Student exchange]
1125 words (3.2 pages)
- The main purpose of needle exchange programs are based on that idea that access to sterile needles will significantly reduce needle sharing and will in turn reduce HIV transmission. It is also believed that implementing needle exchange programs will allow more opportunities for other forms of HIV prevention education to come about and increase people’s access to HIV treatment services. These exchange programs have opened up plenty of things that work to help reduce the spreading HIV such as the use of condoms, bleach kits, and giving people referrals.... [tags: HIV, aids, needle exchange]
823 words (2.4 pages)
- There shouldn’t be any controversy regarding these programs because there is no evidence that anyone will suddenly experiment with heroin because free needles are available. These programs are for people with serious drug addictions. Various organizations, including the GAO, CDC, and World Health Organization, have universally recognized the effectiveness of needle exchange programs. For example, needle exchange programs reduce HIV rates by 80% among intravenous drug users, according to the Center for Disease Control.... [tags: Heroin, Addiction, Drug addiction, Morphine]
1141 words (3.3 pages)
- Children today have to deal with many issues ranging from absent parents, bullying, obesity, and a lack of social skills on a daily basis. From the help of after-school programs, many of these children are able to relax in a positive environment and obtain necessary needs to help them to cope with the troubles in their lives. They’re also able to achieve personal and academic goals that they have set for themselves and have positive models to help them reach those goals. When after-school programs are done in an appropriate manner, it can have tremendous effects on a child’s life and help them to want to improve their life even further.... [tags: The Pros of After-School Programs]
2907 words (8.3 pages)
- My husband and I wanted to host an exchange student for a couple of reasons. First, we were at the point in our lives where our careers were moving along and the money wasn't tight. We felt providing the room and board would not put any financial strain on us. Second, it would be a lot of fun to give someone an adventure. Anna came to us as our 3rd exchange student. Anna was a 16-year old FLEX (Future Leaders Exchange Program) student and came to us from Kiev, Ukraine. Anna was one of three students who came to stay with us on August 21, 2006.... [tags: Personal Narrative Exchange Student]
1606 words (4.6 pages)