General practitioners, often referred to as GP’s, are students that decide to continue with general medicine. Most general practitioners become family doctors that work in a private practice. Their knowledge is very broad and generalized. GP’s are trained to treat a wide variety of illnesses. They are also trained to pick up on the symptoms that the patient might have missed while explaining their issues. They then take those symptoms and form a diagnosis and offer treatment. If the treatment is above their level of knowledge, they refer the patient to a specialist. According to healthcommunities.com and ama-assn.org, to become a general practitioner, you need a bachelor of science (BS) or a bachelor of arts (BA) in an area that places a strong emphasis on biology, chemistry, or physics. You can also apply to a pre-med program, then you need to take the Medical College Admission Test (MCAT). After you take the MCAT, you need to apply to multiple medical schools, choose one and complete their program. Once medical school has been complet...
... middle of paper ...
...d, not only about your health but also about other aspects in life, like your family and work. Their concern is what leads to great relationships, which is why GP’s are rated highly by their patients.
Choosing what kind of medicine you want to practice is a very important step in being a good doctor. Most people aren’t sure what they want to do, but they should take some time out of their day to do some research and decide for themselves. While there are many specialties to pick from, it is better to become a general practitioner. GP’s are adaptable, have great leadership skills and a go-getter attitude. A career in general medicine offers a lot of flexibility and variability and it’s great for people who want to build relationships with their patients and seek challenges. In the end, all of the schooling is worth it, especially when you are doing what you love.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Most kids always dream that one day, they will become a doctor. As they grow older, however, they realize exactly how much hard work is put into the job. The life of a surgeon is not easy, as it requires patience and dedication every single day. From standing on their feet for twelve or more hours at a time to the inconsistent sleep schedule, being a surgeon can be taxing in every aspect of life. However, surgeons gain the opportunity to help people from all over the country and make an impact in the medical world.... [tags: doctors, surgeon, medical field]
1407 words (4 pages)
- Family and general practitioners help people from the day they were born to the day they die. They are trusted, generous people who want to help people because it is the right thing to do. Also, they are a patient’s main doctor. They give the patients yearly checkups, diagnose diseases and also refer patients to specialists to get more information. Family and general practitioners are always learning about new diseases and new ways to help people. They are always expanding their knowledge and reaching out to other people so they can understand what is going on with diseases in their body as well.... [tags: Doctors, Physicians]
1047 words (3 pages)
- My immediate professional goals are to become a licensed pharmacist and work at a drugstore. My long-term goal is to educate and advise the public about the correct way to deal with medicine. So, obtaining the Doctor of Pharmacy degree is vital to accomplishing my goals. “If you work at it hard enough, you can grind an iron bar into a needle.” This is an old Chinese idiom that encourages people to achieve their goals despite difficulties. When I first came to the U.S., I went to a high school in Wooster, Ohio.... [tags: Pharmacy, Doctor of Pharmacy, Bacteria, Goal]
762 words (2.2 pages)
- Becoming a Pharmacist Besides finding the right partner, many people seek the right career. It is a very important part of our life. In today’s modern world, there is a broad spectrum of opportunities to choose from. The right choice can give us not just a source of a paycheck, but also an opportunity for advancement and academic satisfaction. There are many aspects to consider when deciding about a future career like; benefits, working environment, and opportunities for advancement. Perhaps the most important quality is a feeling of the highest personal accomplishment.... [tags: Health Care]
1721 words (4.9 pages)
- Just like Rawlings had once said, “I am able to make a significant impact on the lives of children and families that use this setting” (128). This can be true for those who have the passion and want to change lives, but how does someone change a life on another human being. Does it start from becoming a fireman, a policeman, or even a doctor. These are all great ways to change a life, but this writer is going to talk about how becoming an Early Childhood Educator can change the life of a child. Working with children at a young age can be a great challenge, but having the feeling of success makes all the difficulties disappear.... [tags: Early childhood education, Education, Childhood]
821 words (2.3 pages)
- A world-class engineering student, also known as an “expert learner,” is characterized by taking charge of their learning process, being active in their approach to learning, being motivated and disciplined as well as setting specific goals for themself. Becoming a world-class engineering student is a process that takes time and diligence. In order to become a world-class engineering student, I will have to identify where I stand currently in terms of goal setting, community building, academic development and personal development, where a world-class engineering student would be in each of those areas, and what I have to do in order to become a world-class engineering student.... [tags: Expert Learner, Time Management]
3206 words (9.2 pages)
- Students and the general population of people steady question the notion of eating healthy such as, what is healthy eating. What qualifies as healthy eating. and what foods are healthy and what foods are not. People and students even question the purpose of eating healthy and how can it be vital to your everyday health and diet. Can it actually benefit you in the long run. Also will sustaining a healthy diet increase my life span. People and students constantly have questions. Therefore, Schools should offer more health and nutrition classes to help students understand the importance and the benefits of healthy eating.... [tags: Nutrition, Health, Human body, Eating]
999 words (2.9 pages)
- A Pediatrician is a child’s physician, dealing with the physical, mental, and emotional well being of the child. You undoubtedly have to have a strong love for children and have patience to be a Pediatrician. If you don’t like children then it is apparent being a Pediatrician is not the job for you. I have dreamed of being a Pediatrician since I was 7 years old, ever since I was rushed to the emergency room for an accident I had. I remember how the doctor interacted with me; he introduced himself, and he explained what a Pediatrician did.... [tags: child health, medicine, doctor]
1630 words (4.7 pages)
- One of the positive benefits of using teas and meditation for insomnia is that there are no serious side effects and they are non-habit forming, unlike prescription medication. For example, Valerian root has been found to have sedative properties on the brain and nervous system. Some people who are trying to withdraw from the use of prescribed sleeping pills use valerian to help them sleep after they have tapered the dose of the sleeping pill (Beddoe). In addition, integrating the use of valerian and other therapies to help relaxation can minimize or eliminate the dependency of the prescription drug.... [tags: Medicine, Alternative medicine, Pharmacology]
1143 words (3.3 pages)
- Becoming a Doctor The Profession Doctors are compassionate, mission-driven professionals who are committed to helping people, proud of their ability to treat patients and proud to be able to diagnose illnesses. Doctors are mostly inspired by the trust their patients put in them. Doctors discover functions of the human body, learn to interpret patients’ diseases and they gain confidence as they progress to determine illnesses. Doctors also have an opportunity to specialise from a range of different areas where they meet incredible people.... [tags: Physician, Medicine, Doctor of Medicine, Doctor]
955 words (2.7 pages)