The journal article Resilience in Older Gay Men and Lesbians by Susan Hrostowski , discusses the notion that older gay men and lesbian women show high resilience even though throughout their lives they are in a position where they tend to be victimized more often. Being gay or lesbian puts these people at a higher risk for depression and suicide. Being that all these negative factors are being put into play against these folks, it is important to see just how they gain the positive trait of reliance. Diversity and its correlation with adaptation is how Hrostowski describes reliance and further elaborates to state that it is a development of certain strengths and abilities that would not have been nurtured had it not been for the op...
... middle of paper ...
...nd often unthought question of, what are the positive aspects of being gay or lesbian?
Hrostowski, S. (2006). Resilience in Older Gay Men and Lesbians. n.p.: ProQuest, UMI Dissertations Publishing.
Kurdek, L. (2005). What do we know about gay and lesbian couples?. Current Directions in Psychological Science,14(5), 251-254..
Lippa, R. (2007). The relation between sex drive and sexual attraction to men and women: A cross-national study of heterosexual, bisexual, and homosexual men and women. Archives of Sexual Behavior, 36(2), 209-222.
Patterson, C. (2000). Family relationships of lesbians and gay men.Journal of Marriage and Family, 62(4), 1052-1069.
Peplau, L. , Frederick, D. , Yee, C. , Maisel, N. , Lever, J. , et al. (2009). Body image satisfaction in heterosexual, gay, and lesbian adults. Archives of Sexual Behavior, 38(5), 713-725.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- United States is known to be one of the free countries in the world, and other nations look at it with awe and aspiration. America is a nation with multi – cultural backgrounds, and people with different identities and personalities. However, if two men or women walking on the street gradually start kissing each other or showing affection with the same sex, others would look at them with disgust. Even being an extremely modern country, homosexuality is looked down upon with much intolerance. Is there something wrong with what those people just did.... [tags: freedom, culture, intolerance, homosexuality]
2514 words (7.2 pages)
- Same Sex Marriages Should be Legal Flowers, candles, and music are all part of a wedding. As the organist plays "Here Comes the Bride," I notice this is where the similarities end. The bride, who is a woman, is marrying a groom, who is also a woman. Single-sex marriages are only allowed in a few states. However, single-sex marriages should become legal so that couples could enjoy the advantages of marriage. Legalizing single-sex marriage would create more family units and create more tolerance from society, allowing single-sex couples a legal way of expressing their love to each other.... [tags: Argumentative Persuasive Topics Gay Lesbian]
835 words (2.4 pages)
- Most people have grown up in a society where being a homosexual is not okay. Although LGBT (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender) people are being more accepted, they are still thought as ‘wrong’ to a lot of people and places. A big argument is that being gay is “unnatural” however, it is found that homosexuality is practiced in over 1,500 animal species such as giraffes, lions, and several species of apes and monkeys. We believe the hate against homosexuality should decrease, and the homosexual rights should increase.... [tags: Homosexuals, Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual. Trans]
890 words (2.5 pages)
- Homosexuality has existed since the beginning of time, there wasn’t an actual name for it, but surely, sexual acts between two individuals of the same sex still occurred. Homosexuality, homoeroticism, bisexuality, polygamism and even just questioning these ideas were often looked down upon. I say this because in a biblical sense, it was believed that only a man and a woman should come together. Most Christians and Jews believe that in the beginning of creation, God created Adam and Eve to multiply the earth.... [tags: homosexuality, same sex, sin]
1440 words (4.1 pages)
- The mind and the body are not only connected, but are a single entity that rely on each other (Dreher, 2003). Both the mind and the body must be in peak condition in order to optimize learning outcomes. The scientific community must destigmatize the mind-body connection with further research and begin separating facts from pop culture fiction. Since knowledge is the lifeblood of the academic community, it seems pertinent to find how to optimize students' circumstances to encourage the best opportunity for learning potential.... [tags: Optimizing Learning Outcomes, Mind, Body]
1111 words (3.2 pages)
- Children of gay and lesbian parents have the same potential as other children despite living in a nontraditional household, a growing trend in America. Same-sex parented families face many struggles such as discrimination based on sexual orientation of the parents. Individuals who do not support same-sex marriage or same-sex parenting believe that the child will not be raised in a stable household. Multiple studies have confirmed that a parent’s sexual orientation does not heavily influence a child’s performance in school or their social behavior.... [tags: Same-Sex Marriage Essays, nontraditional family]
1317 words (3.8 pages)
- “A four-year-old boy had a big dilemma: he loved butterflies. He also loved being a boy. His teacher’s unfortunate statement about ‘butterflies are for girls and cars are for boys’ was the source of his internal conflict” (Ozkaleli 567). When a child is born, we as a society, decide how they should dress, what they should like and more importantly how they should act. Without any knowledge of what this child wants or needs we decide to control their feelings and shape them in a way that seems acceptable in our society.... [tags: man in society,bullying,being a man]
1894 words (5.4 pages)
- Most societies view homosexuality as something that is horribly wrong. People view sexual relations between like genders as disgusting. For thousands of years homosexuality has existed on this Earth, but the question is, what makes it so wrong. During my research I have yet to find a legitimate reason as to why homosexuality is so wrong. With homosexual relationships, comes the question about homosexual marriage. Should gay marriage become legal in all fifty United States, or should it stay illegal in some states and remain legal in others.... [tags: Gay Rights, argumentative, persuasive]
1276 words (3.6 pages)
- Nowadays, being gay is everywhere. It seems like a trip to the supermarket is never complete without a magazine or commercial on the radio advertising gay pride. It seems like the most effective of these trials has to be the hit television show Glee. Many of the shows episodes revolve on the aspect be yourself, whether you are gay, straight, handicapped, or popular. But only one of these has caught the eye of the American public. Gay pride, is it possible to have been born this way. If people can be born this way, what is the proof.... [tags: Born Gay]
920 words (2.6 pages)
- Families are crucially important to society without doubt. Most British people are born into families and then raised by a family. Most of these very same people grow up to form families of their own and take the responsibility of being a parent. Many people see the family as the normal way of life and watch television programs which revolve around family life. For many the nuclear family has always been viewed as the proper way to bring up children and to live life. However, the subject of families is much deeper than many think.... [tags: Papers Argumentative Psychology Essays]
2286 words (6.5 pages)