Have you ever had an interest in how something was invented? An interest in how your favorite activity or hobby came about? Ever since I was introduced to sports and how competitive it was, I became hooked. I enjoy playing football, basketball, and baseball. Of the three main sports that I play, basketball seems to be my favorite. It challenges endurance, speed, accuracy, agility, and strength. I feel guilty not knowing who created the game that takes up most of my free-time. It is time for me to learn about the inventor and the games past.
Basketball is one of the most popular games in the United States. There are many different versions of it based on where one has grown up. In the less fortunate areas of the United States, a type of basketball originated called And 1. It is all about stunning the crowd with tricks. This form originated a league of amazing basketball players that are sponsored by And 1. And 1 is a brand of basketball accessories, and the name of a team that travel from city to city. The And 1 team takes on other teams, with the same playing styles, that think they are worthy enough of playing them. This form of basketball throws out some of the rules, such as traveling and carrying, in order to broaden up the ability to achieve tricks. Although there are different versions of the game, the original game is one of the largest played world-wide.
He was born on November 6, 1861 in Almonte, Ontario, Canada, where he later attended high school. The man of average height, and weighing about one-hundred eighty pounds, lead an amazing life. His name was James Nasmith. After James graduated high school, he accomplished many incredible things. Nasmith started in 1887 with getting his phi...
... middle of paper ...
...y of such accomplishments would be responsible for creating the game of basketball. It amazes me that not only did he invent basketball, he achieved getting 4 degrees, served in the military, won awards for being best rounded athlete, was a professor, a minister, a basketball coach at the University of Kentucky, a director, and a doctor. James Naismith was also "the first to introduce the use of a helmet in American football" (James Naismith). It makes me wonder if there is a man in the whole world that has ever accomplished more than the great James Naismith.
"Hall of Famers-James Naismith" Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame. 2000.
27 Feb. 2007
"James Naismith." Wikipedia The Free Encyclopedia. 24 Feb. 2007.
27 Feb. 2007
Petersen, Mary "The Basketball Man (Dr. James A. Naismith)" Highlights for Children.
November 1, 2005.27 Feb. 2007.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- With five seconds left, the once psychotic crowd becomes as silent as a lion stalking its prey. The clock starts and all that can be heard is the opposing team running down the court dribbling the ball to shoot the final shot. The clock sends off a high-pitched shout. When the opposing team missed their shot, the crowd let out shrieks of joy and ran down onto the court to celebrate. Basketball was invented in 1891 by a Canadian Doctor named James Naismith and the game has changed dramatically since.... [tags: Basketball, National Basketball Association]
1059 words (3 pages)
- With five seconds left, the once psychotic crowd is now as silent as a lion stalking its prey. The clock starts and all that can be heard is the opposing team running down the court dribbling the ball to shoot the final shot. The clock sends of a high-pitched shout. The crowd shrieks for joy when the opposing team misses the shot and the crowds runs down to celebrate. Basketball was invented in 1891 by a Canadian Doctor named James Naismith and the fundamental still their games has change drastically ever since.... [tags: Basketball, National Basketball Association]
1040 words (3 pages)
- There are 5 seconds left on the clock in the last quarter, the coach calls a time out. Down by 2, the team has a chance to win the game. The whistle blows and the clock winds down, 5...The ball is passed in…4…the point guard dribbles around the key…3…the ball is passed to the shooting guard…2…the shooting guard passes it back to the point guard…1…the point guard shoots from behind the 3-point line…0. Countless fans across the globe may get thrills while watching an intense minor or professional basketball game, although, few actually know where or how this widely popular sport was created.... [tags: nba, basketball players, james naismith]
1397 words (4 pages)
- Throughout my high school career, I have participated in two Varsity sports: basketball and track. Basketball is the most important sport that I participate in out of the two because I enjoy it the most. I have been on Varsity in track ever since I started the sport Sophomore year. I run track to keep in shape and due to the other athletes in the sport. I have been playing basketball since fourth grade. It has become a major part of my life and has made me the person I am today. I have learned many life lessons from this sport and about being a team player.... [tags: High school, Basketball, Varsity team]
1073 words (3.1 pages)
- Growing up I was a diehard basketball player. I started playing basketball at the age of six years old, and at the time I wasn’t very good. I was made fun of a lot because of my weight and I wasn’t very athletic. From six years old till 10 years old, I was constantly picked on and whenever I played basketball with friends it was the same result. One night I was in my bed and I was looking up the statistics of what it took to play professional basketball. At the time I was still 10 years old and there was nothing more I wanted in my life at the time to be a pro basketball player.... [tags: Basketball, High school, Point guard]
1052 words (3 pages)
- High school basketball is not only a mental sport, but, also, a communication game. You must be able to communicate very well to play in Morgantown, West Virginia, especially at University High School. To make the team, you have to be basketball knowledgeable, talented, physically fit, and vocal. After four years of playing varsity basketball, the vocal part of the sport has helped me out in the long run. There are five positions in basketball: point guard, shooting guard, small forward, power forward, and center, but, the most important position is the point guard.... [tags: Sports Basketball]
1434 words (4.1 pages)
- Basketball is a widely populated sport in today’s society since it was created in the late 1800s by Dr. James Naismith. Many fans enjoy playing basketball but most of them don’t thoroughly understand the process to get in shape to play. Basketball conditioning requires a lot of dedication and is very time consuming. It is a highly competitive and contact sport so being faster and stronger than the other guy can give you more advantages. Many ways to condition are by running, weight training in the gym, maintaining a healthy diet and working on your basketball skills.... [tags: basketball, sports, Dr. James Naismith, ]
855 words (2.4 pages)
- Career Research Paper Being a Basketball Coach.The reason why i am studying this career is because i want to know what it is like to be a High School, or a College Coach, and a National League Associations (NBA) and just to see how it is to be a coach . My history of this career is that i have been to so many job shadows that are coaches and some coaches are nice too there players and some are very mean. There are a lot of basketball coaches out there and the employment of this job is to make sure your other coaches stay on track with the players to because some of the basketball players just want to go out and party after a game which that is not good for your body to have alcohol or anythi... [tags: High school, Basketball, Season, Coaching]
1130 words (3.2 pages)
- Lamar Carter known to all as, Vince Carter, was born on January 26.1977 in Daytona Beach, FL. Carter became an extraordinary leader at a young age. Carter used his talent to gain fame and fortune so that he could give back to his community and the less fortunate. During his years at Campbell Middle School he was the only seventh grader to ever play on the Varsity Basketball team, not only was he on the team but he was a starter on the team. While at Mainland High school he was captain of the Volleyball Team, member of the Marching Band and is known to be the most gifted basketball player to grace their court.... [tags: Biography Basketball]
1674 words (4.8 pages)
- Basketball Basketball was invented in 1891 by Dr. James Naismith of Almonte, Ontario. While he was attending the international YMCA Training School (School for Christian Workers) in Springfield, Massachusetts, he was challenged by the Head of Physical Education at the school to create an indoor game to distract students and keep them occupied during the extremely cold winter of that area. His response to this challenge was to create a game that required skill instead of brute strength like other popular sports of that time.... [tags: Sports Athletics Essays]
914 words (2.6 pages)