important to me. My own personal experiences, including the courses I took and
blogs I read, changed the way I view gender roles.
When I came home from Marymount Manhattan College after deciding to transfer
schools, I returned to a truth I had yet to face. It was one that was building
for years like rising water threatening to flood. I wasn 't overwhelmed or even
particularly emotional about the impending divorce of my parents. That made
sense to me. My sister and I were of age, and there were no vicious custody
battles to be had. It was mutual. I was already imagining life post-lawyers,
post-paperwork and signatures. I imagined time with my dad and time with my
mom, and believed both could coexist harmoniously. Divorce happens, I told
myself, and it was not going to be a sad or tragic thing in my life.
As time went on, however, I realized the divorce would not be as amicable as I
originally thought. One particular memory stands out to me. I am in my room,
hushed and still. I have my ear pressed to the door, and in the pauses between
shouting all I hear is the sound of my own breathing. I listen to my dad yell
at my mom, asking her why she doesn 't put on a "sexy nightie" for her husband
once in a while. In the seconds that follow it appears there is nothing to
listen to, but I know I 'm hearing stunned silence.
He knows I 'm upstairs, but he doesn 't know my image of him is changing or that
somehow I am changing too. It was not just the demeaning, objectifying words
that were said, but the way he said them. It didn 't sound impulsive; his voice
was frigid. It wasn 't lashing out, and these weren 't words he would regret or
apologize for later. The f...
... middle of paper ...
...e. During our class
discussions and conversations with my professor, I realized I was passionate
about these issues and wanted to talk more about them. Through a major in
English, I am hoping to read and write more about the unheard female
Simply put, I want to live in a world that respects women for their
intelligence, creativity, intuition, and humanity - not just a world that
praises them for cooking, cleaning, raising children and wearing lingerie.
While there is nothing wrong with any of these things, I feel it should be up
to women to decide what they want in their life; society should not dictate
them to fill any one role, and they should have the freedom to be whoever they
want. After what my mother and I went through together, I was able to
take a bad experience and turn it into a positive interest that continues to
fuel my desire to write today.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Organization Background and Purpose of Planned Change The products that my organization supports, services, and provide updates to have been in the US Air Force inventory since the mid 1980’s. My organization’s make-up is multigenerational with a high percentage of Traditionalists and Baby Boomers (Fox, 2011). While the employees are skilled and talented, the organization is suffering from single threaded skill areas and we are facing the high probability that we will lose the 30+ years of knowledge when our employees retire or transfer to other Boeing programs.... [tags: knowledge transfer in organizations]
2182 words (6.2 pages)
- 1.1 GENERAL BACKGROUND Heat transfer is by virtue thermal energy stored in temperature-dependent motion of particles. The exchange of kinetic energy of particles occurs through the boundary between two systems which are at different temperatures from each other or from their surroundings. Heat transfer constantly occurs from a region of high temperature to the region of lower temperature. Heat transfer changes the internal energy of both systems according to the Thermodynamics. The Second Law of Thermodynamics defines the concept of thermodynamic entropy.... [tags: Heat, Thermodynamics, Temperature, Heat transfer]
1224 words (3.5 pages)
- Embryo transfer can happen in many different animals including humans. Many people do not know that most farmers do embryo transfer because they use their dominant genetics in order to produce dominant offspring. Embryo transfer is not only better on the economic side such as costs of transferring eggs from cow to cow but the offspring you get from the egg will improve your herd and bring in more profit. Some transfers of preimplantation embryos occur in laboratories/vet offices due to fact that embryos from donor females cannot be immediately put in recipient females after harvest due to there may not be any recipients.... [tags: test tube babies, embryo transfer]
1360 words (3.9 pages)
- Introduction Conduction, convection, and radiation are all types of heat transfer in which heat is transferred from a system to its surroundings. As humans, we are in the presence of, and manipulate these heat transfers all the time. Heat transfer is very important to our every day lives as we try to live in a world where the temperature outside is not comfortable and we want our food cooked. Some people go out of their way to get more radiation to get a tan, or use convection while siting in a sauna.... [tags: Heat, Heat transfer, Energy, Temperature]
1260 words (3.6 pages)
- From a time, longer than I could remember, I had always known that I wanted to have a career in the medical field. My first choice was in Obstetrics, then after a few years, it changed to Dentistry. It was not until around the age of 11 that I discovered the career that I wanted to pursue after college, which was Orthopedic Surgery. Now to this day, this has been the first career choice that I still follow, research, and can proudly say I still hope to obtain. Truthfully, I can say that I did not really have anyone who particularly influenced me to choose the career path that I desire.... [tags: Physician, Surgery, Reconstructive surgery]
717 words (2 pages)
- Conditional Cash Transfer programs (CCTs) have recently emerged as a central component of social policy across Latin America. The rationale of CCT programmes is to address short term poverty through monthly cash payments, and long term poverty by attaching conditions to mandatory school attendance and healthcare use. Most countries in Latin America have some kind of CCT programme (Cruz and Zigelhofer: 2014). Brazil’s CCT, Bolsa Familia (Family Allowance) is the largest CCT programme in the world.... [tags: Poverty, Economics, Conditional Cash Transfer]
1156 words (3.3 pages)
- Summary Study of heat transfer in a gun barrel during firing is important for various reasons like estimating cook off temperature and erosion of barrel. This report assesses the heat transfer in a 155mm gun barrel with and without cooling channel using finite element analysis. The analysis was carried out using Pro/Mechanica software. The problem is modelled as a 2 D axisymmetric problem and convective loads and symmetry boundary conditions were used. The analysis was carried out in two phases.... [tags: Heat, Heat transfer, Convection, Thermodynamics]
1612 words (4.6 pages)
- Sherlock Holmes stories became extremely successful and were enormously popular amongst people. SHERLOCK HOLMES Sherlock Holmes detective stories have been known and loved by people all around the world. Something magical was about the character of Sherlock Holmes that makes him so famous all around the world. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle wrote Sherlock Holmes stories. The author was a young age doctor in 1886 when he set up a medical practice in South sea, Hampshire. With fewer patients, making their way to his surgery there was a lot of free time when he scribbled down some ideas for a story involving a brilliant detective.... [tags: Free Essay Writer]
1721 words (4.9 pages)
- Cultural Impact of Technology Transfer Human history has demonstrated that the flow of information is inevitable; cultures across the world have been trading ideas for thousands of years. Dick Teresi claims, however, that "a technology evolves within a culture and its particular demands and preoccupations, intertwined with that society’s particular environment.” (Teresi, 356) While this statement holds true for many innovations, not all technologies are direct products of the cultures using them.... [tags: Exemplification Essays]
1104 words (3.2 pages)
- Over the past decade, advances in the field of cloning have allowed for the possibility of human cloning. By using the process of somatic cell nuclear transfer (SCNT), in which the DNA from an adult cell is transferred into an unfertilized egg, scientists have developed the ability to clone numerous types of animals related to humans. Cloning has proven to be useful in several areas of science, improving scientists' understanding of the functions of genes and the cell cycle. In addition, scientists are on the path toward using cloning in order to create organs, tissues, and other technologies useful for the treatment of humans with serious diseases.... [tags: Biology]
731 words (2.1 pages)
- A Brief Note On The Electronic Health Records
- Analysis Of The General History Of Virginia, Washington Irving, And Frederick Douglass
- The Great Depression And World War II
- Exploring Realms Of The Art Of Writing
- Dr. Nicholas Woterstorff 's Bitter Experience Of The Death Of His Son
- The Effects Of Music On Our Lives