I obtained a mental health technician position with an in-patient program that specializes in substance abuse and co- occurring disorders. I found that my position provided me with the unique opportunity to positively impact the lives of others while also gaining valuable insight into my own life. I learned effective problem solving skills, through the assistance with thought process, accountability, by living on my own, boundaries, and patience through treating others with respect and dignity, while adhering to ethical standards and professionalism. Through self-reflection, I understand how my own adversities provided me with the insight into the underlying conditions which contribute to maladaptive behaviors, and permit me to empathize with clients.
I have always favored individuals that work within the helping professions, and the ability that ...
... middle of paper ...
...n, as I believe in equality for all individuals, treating others with respect and dignity regardless of socioeconomic status or cultural backgrounds. I remain cognizant that client’s willingness to engage and comply with treatment objectives begins with the development of therapeutic rapport. Throughout my career, I have found that the active implementation of social work values when working with unique individual clients or co-workers allows for stronger relationships to be built, that foster positive and fulfilling human interactions. In adherence to maintain my certified counselor status, I attend ethics based training annually, which allows me to stay abreast of new and emerging ethical issues. I will remain grateful that I possess the courage, strength and drive needed to help provide individuals with the hope necessary to find the inner strength to persevere.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Some may view working with at risk populations who areoften in a state of crisis a daunting career, However, I view it as a privilege. It is with this insight and passion in assisting others to overcome their obstacles that fuel my desire to become a professional social worker. At twenty eight years old, defeated by my lack of ability to obtain a promising direction within my life, combined with my desire for wanting more, I stepped out of my comfort zone and left everyone and everything that I known behind.... [tags: Social work, Sociology, Social change]
1677 words (4.8 pages)
- I. Please describe your interest in becoming a school social worker. I became interested in becoming a school social worker when I recognized the great satisfaction I received from tutoring children and participating in mentorship programs. It is often stated that if you choose a job you love you will never have to work a day in your life; in essence, effecting change in students’ and families lives who may have difficulties overcoming barriers is the most important aspect of my career. Nonetheless, becoming a school social worker can be a challenging field; conversely, my passion motivates me to remain committed to supporting, maintaining, and enhancing the physical, social, intellectual a... [tags: Sociology, Social work, School social worker]
722 words (2.1 pages)
- Medical Social Worker: The Interview “Diversity makes for a rich tapestry. We must understand that all the threads of the tapestry are equal in value, no matter their color; equal in importance no matter their texture,” by Maya Angelou. I met my interviewee, Bill Hemphill through a mutual relative in my family who was generous enough to provide his contact information. Although he was a busy man, he agreed to let me interview him at his office. My first impression of him was that he was a professional, serious, and strict when it came to his patients.... [tags: Social work, Sociology, School social worker]
1228 words (3.5 pages)
- Journal enter 1 I strongly considered a career in social work after completing my undergrad school; my yearning for helping and advocating for all children of the world led me to Barry University. With increased knowledge in the profession of social work, I realized, I have been absent minded in the numerous roles that a social worker plays. As advocators, counselors, mediators, and researchers, social workers uphold principles and core values written within the National Association of Social Workers Code of Ethics.... [tags: Sociology, Social justice, Social work, Poverty]
1048 words (3 pages)
- Introduction The path to becoming a clinical social worker has been as rewarding as it has been challenging. I have enjoyed every moment of learning as it has helped shape me into the person and professional I want to be. My original career path was not that of a Social Worker but once I had chosen the path of becoming a Social Worker everything started to make sense. I felt like I had found a place to belong and a feeling of “rightness”. I feel I still have a lot to learn when it comes to being a clinical Social Worker.... [tags: Social work, Sociology, Psychotherapy]
2090 words (6 pages)
- There is no one motivating factor that stered me to the field of social work. It was the totality of events and experiences in my early childhood that opened my eyes to the field of social work. The decision to pursue a career in social services was decided upon after many years of reflection, contemplation, soul searching, and questions. Before beginning the journey into my dream career, I ask myself a series of questions. What can I offer as a social worker. Can I set aside my own perceptions and values.... [tags: Sociology, Social justice, Social work]
1498 words (4.3 pages)
- I became interested in social work when my dear mother unexpectedly got sick, and the hospital diagnosed her with stage four cancer. The doctors told us she only had a few months to live. I decided against the nursing home option and instead brought my mom home from the hospital to take care of her by myself. The hospital and hospice helped me by sending the registered nurses, the home health care nurses and the social workers in my home to help me provide the best care for my ailing mother. Consequently, I devoted all my time to caring and helping my mom.... [tags: Sociology, Social work, Master of Social Work]
1389 words (4 pages)
- My interest in becoming a social worker started at a very young age. I remember always possessing the desire to help people who were in need and have frequently being the person who others have approached when faced with difficult situations. Often, I felt as if listening was not enough. I remember feeling unequipped to help them. When I spoke about this career choice with some of the big influences in my personal life, I was told no matter what situation I have ever been faced with I have always managed to handle myself appropriately in what were, sometimes, delicate situations.... [tags: Sociology, Social work]
972 words (2.8 pages)
- Having spent the last two years working as a volunteer in the social service field, I have come to realize that my passion lies in helping people, who are in a position of less advantaged. With a view to accomplish my ambition to become a social worker I am currently taking an access to a master degree of social work. I have gained some insight into mental health while working as a volunteer in The Mental Health Association of Hong Kong and The Hong Kong Down Syndrome Association. In my current role as a volunteer, I have gained confidence and experience, when serving individuals with Down Syndrome, intellectual disabilities or the other disabilities and their family members with a wide vari... [tags: Sociology, Social work, Social theory]
858 words (2.5 pages)
- Hi fellow classmates. When preparing for a career in social work there are considerations that need to be made. One of the considerations that brought me on my path to becoming a social worker is my passion for helping others and because of this have always sought out employment where I can promote social justice and the well-being of others. Another consideration was having a career where I would continue learning. It has only been over the last few years that I have discovered the joy and feeling of accomplishment that comes with continuously learning and gaining knowledge.... [tags: Social work, Sociology, Social justice]
736 words (2.1 pages)