I am currently pursuing a Master’s in Global Health at Northwestern University, where I have been able to learn about the foundations of global health, the global burden disease, the problems related to access to health and medicines, and much more related to global health. This program has allowed me to learn more about the specific needs each world region needs and has increased my interest in engaging in a global community to address different health disparities. Through different policy briefs, group presentations, lectures, discussion posts, and readings, I have been able to learn more about global health. As my final practicum experience my for master’s program, I will be traveling this October for four weeks to Puerto Escondido, a small town in Oaxaca, Mexico. My practicum project will consist of interviewing and analyzing the response diabetic women from low-income clinics about their eating habits and the resources they have access to and compare these to their medical records. Being ...
... middle of paper ...
...ulations and sex workers in the Mexico/Guatemala border, the drug use in these groups, the prevalence and correlation of HIV and STIs among substance user, as well as to learning about endemic diseases such as Chagas. My experience at these two global projects helped me connect what I have learned through my different global health courses, as well as have a better understanding of global health research, the social factors that create and propagate health disparities, and especially the global need for access to effective and affordable healthcare.
As a medical student at the UCSD School of Medicine and being a student at the GHAC track, I will be able to improve my clinical experience and mentored research in Global Health. This opportunity will allow me to engage with the global health community and be able to address the many health disparities currently present.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- I loved psychology even before I was aware of what it was. As far back as I can recall, I have been compelled to understand how others thought. My siblings and I have radically different forms of thought so I learned early on that, even when coming from similar backgrounds, each person thinks and thus behaves uniquely. This interest coalesced with my academic fervor once I reached college through the subject of psychology. While my knowledge has advanced greatly under my undergraduate education, my thirst for knowledge is unquenched.... [tags: Psychology, Clinical psychology, Psychiatry]
1104 words (3.2 pages)
- Rowdy Drunken College Students I read an article about Northwestern University students in Evanston, Illinois, and the community’s complaints against them. The article, written by Bob Seidenberg, discusses the need for city council to call a meeting to address the problems of rowdy drunken college students disturbing the peace and quiet of the evenings, by wandering around and through Evanston homes late at night. The underling issue is, is this Northwestern’s problem, or simply a lack of respect from youths today.... [tags: Northwestern University Students]
1193 words (3.4 pages)
- The role and responsibilities of a Health Information Technician (HIT) also known as a Medical Records Technician include maintaining the medical information system of a healthcare facility in a manner consistent with medical, administrative, ethical, legal, and regulatory requirements. Responsibilities include organizing and coding patient records, recording information on patient records, the gathering of statistical and research data, monitoring information to ensure confidentiality and medical coding for billing purposes.... [tags: Career Research ]
1907 words (5.4 pages)
- Education is our future dream Education is one of the most important factors to progress in life. Through education, people can thrive in their lives; they can also develop their skills and improve their life quality. Everyone dreams about having a nice house with a beautiful view, a modern car and enough money to travel. Having all of these is not just a dream; it can come true through education. According to NACE 's fall 2015 Salary Survey, overall, the average starting salary for a bachelor 's degree graduate from the class of 2015 stands at $50,651.Education is a huge measurement that affects more than one factor, not only in one’s personal life but in the larger society.... [tags: Higher education, Academic degree, University]
859 words (2.5 pages)
- When I first started college, my view of a health care professional was a transparent overview of the field and their duties. I knew what they did, but at that time I didn’t understand why. Becoming a health educator is easier said than done, and with the knowledge comes a great responsibility. Health education as defined by the World Health Organization is “the process of enabling people to increase control over their health and its determinants, and thereby improve their health’. That is noteworthy, yet at the same time, a very board definition.... [tags: Health care, Health, Healthcare, Public health]
918 words (2.6 pages)
- One way to determine whether or not someone is influential towards a university is to look at the type of impact they have made. This could be through dedicated teachings, being well versed in many areas, whether that be in one college or the university as a whole, and having done research on a plethora of different topics, but also having that research be widely accepted. When weighing all of these factors one person comes to mind, that person is Amy W Ando. Amy has gone above and beyond any expectation the university has of a single professor and represents what it truly means to be an influential force on campus.... [tags: University, College, Professor, Doctorate]
957 words (2.7 pages)
- Deciding what university program to choose, is one of the decisions that can change the course of your life drastically. Like you, when I was in high school I had to tackle that decision, and at that time, I decided to go to medical school. Three years later, when I moved to Canada, I was faced with the same challenge once again, not being able to medical school directly, I applied to the Health Sciences program, which it turned out to be a perfect fit for me. The Health Sciences program at the University of Ottawa, offers an interdisciplinary approach to studying human health.... [tags: Medicine, Health care, Health, Research]
1120 words (3.2 pages)
- Envisioning My Profession Healthcare administration provides leadership and managemnt to health care systems, hospitals, and private or public health systems. There are requirements for most professions in the health industry but with the proper education and certification, most entry-level careers are attainable. Healthcare administrators are leaders so one must be able to handle the responsibility of the job. There are characteristics that can be associated with being a health care administrator.... [tags: Health economics, Medicine, Health care]
1139 words (3.3 pages)
- Wellness is an important aspect of life and not all are aware of how to execute a well put together health plan that will benefit them in the future. It all starts today for the students at Rowan University. With better meal prep and education on the food you are eating, many lives will be positively impacted. Using the Precede-Proceed Model, the health at Rowan can potentially rise and cause other local schools to make a change based on our progress as a school. Of course I cannot force the students to follow our plan and make them eat the healthier choice, but I can give them better access to those choices.... [tags: Nutrition, Health, Eating, Health care]
1002 words (2.9 pages)
- SUNY Empire State University encompasses a unique variety of ways to pursue a college degree that is convenient and affordable. In 2008, I enrolled in an undergraduate program of study to attain my bachelor 's degree. I have had the flexibility to study in face to face study groups, online and independent study while being employed full time. The knowledge that I attained through coursework in Religion, Human Development, Sociology and Psychology has truly impacted how I view "life". The path taken was definitely not easy; there were many hardships and obstacles encountered.... [tags: Bachelor's degree, Academic degree]
705 words (2 pages)