In the book, the authors detail the lives of the players and those around them. The impact of being away from family also takes center stage, from dealing with the death of parents and siblings to coping with changes in family dynamics. The game of basketball also helped the girls get away from the Indian Wars and the Dawes Act that had occurred before the boarding school was founded. For many of the girls, basketball was a grounding force that continued to foster an important sisterhood among team members.
Basketball at Fort Shaw could not have come into play without Josephine Langley. Winslow offered a staff position to the young Indian woman, who grew up in the boarding school system. While working at Fort Shaw, she was noticed by a visiting Colonel Richard Pratt, head of the famed Carlisle boarding school (pg. 70-71). It was during her short time at Carlisle where Josie first witnessed a game of girls “basket ball” and was taken by the sport (pg. 64-66). Langle...
... middle of paper ...
... and skills on the basketball court.
The Fort Shaw girls basketball team and the novel, Full Court Quest, is very inspirational to Native American history. These girls went out on to the court, forgot all their worries, and put their heart in soul to every game they played despite cultural issues and personal issues. Basketball was being newly introduced into the public, which was mainly made up of whites. This was very brave of the the basketball girls and also all who were included associated with the Fort Shaw boarding school because they were the minority. Native Americans were suppose to forget their own culture and evolve into white culture. However, Native Americans took basketball and taught it to the whites. This made some whites contradict their previous feelings and start to believe that Native American culture isn’t completely inferior to white culture.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Do you want to play the best video game known to man. The game company Bethesda produced the game Skyrim in 2011. When Skyrim was released it changed the gaming market with its unique gaming engine and graphics. A game that is now five years old it still is considered one of the best games ever made. Bethesda announced at E3 that they will be remastering Skyrim for next generation consoles. Bethesda added console mod support, advanced shaders, and all three-downloadable content in one game. I have personally bought both games and I see a huge difference between the two games.... [tags: Learning, Play, Skill, Game]
798 words (2.3 pages)
- My life quest is to gain mindfulness. Mindfulness means to be aware of what is around you and having control of your actions, and thoughts at the same time. In other terms: paying attention in a particular way. Being open to many options and comparing it to your own opinions. Also living in the moment with focus of your surroundings and your doing. All of these phrases help describe what mindfulness is. This 3 syllable word can also mean perseverance, charity, and living life to the fullest.... [tags: My Life Quest]
818 words (2.3 pages)
- . Every good service unreturned or ball by the side receiving counts one score for the side serving. The only side that can score is the one that is serving, when the opposite side returns and count for the opposite side. When the ball hits the net on the first serve it will be dead and at that point it will be classified as one trail. Net balls are also a part of the game of volleyball, it is a play which hits the net when it is aside from the first service. A net ball is the equivalent to a failure to return the ball right across the net.... [tags: Olympic Games, United States, Volleyball, Game]
1187 words (3.4 pages)
- ... Four years later, the case was brought to the Supreme Court. The justices ruled against Homer Plessy. Their decision was that segregation is legal as long as equal facilities were provided. Justice Henry Billings Brown summarized, "The object of the [Fourteenth] amendment was undoubtedly to enforce the equality of the two races before the law, but in the nature of things it could not have been intended to abolish distinctions based upon color, or to endorse social, as distinguished from political, equality.... [tags: the Linda Brown court case]
1284 words (3.7 pages)
- For my vision quest, I molded the assignment into something a bit different. Instead of walking around by myself and looking for answers, I decided to get a group of friends and not look for any answers at all. One of my favorite quotes goes as follows, “To do list: wake up, drink water, call mom, answer a question, question an answer.” I’ll explain why that is significant later, but it does have to do my final result. Instead of going on my own vision quest, I kind of hosted a group quest to gain perspective.... [tags: Meaning of life, Life, Quest, Want]
943 words (2.7 pages)
- It was a cold winter morning, and I was feeling very tired. The only thing that I knew was getting me through the day was the basketball game. I was walking through the halls going to my classes thinking about what would happen tonight. I had many mixed feelings going through my head from being scared, to super excited. I knew that whatever happened tonight would change everything. The day of a game was always one of the most exciting days. I wanted to be a basketball player. It was getting closer to game time.... [tags: Basketball, Game, Luck, Warming up]
1630 words (4.7 pages)
- In order to highlight all aspects of People v. Smith, 470 NW2d 70, Michigan Supreme Court (1991) we must first discuss the initial findings of the Michigan Court of Appeals. The Court of Appeals decision was based on the precedence of two similar court cases that created discussion concerning the admission of juvenile records into adult trials. Following the Court of Appeals, the Michigan Supreme Court entered the final decision on Ricky Smith’s motion for resentencing. The Michigan Supreme Court also conducted a thorough examination of People v.... [tags: Supreme Court of the United States, Court]
860 words (2.5 pages)
- We make the assumption that kids in our society this day have the opportunity to play different kinds of video games,but we came to a point in which we let them play violent video games. We do not realize if violent video games affects them in different ways or even to the point in which they come violente in their schools or in the home. I am in pro because there are many ways young kids become learners of what is around them. Today i am going to talk about how violent video games contribute to youth violence.... [tags: Video game, Video game controversy]
1354 words (3.9 pages)
- The Use of Tone and Metaphors in Marks by Linda Pastan Linda Pastan?s poem ?Marks. is unusual because it addresses the frustrations of a typical housewife. Few people consider being a wife and mother a full-time job in itself, and it is not uncommon for a woman who plays both of these roles to feel overworked and unappreciated. What is unusual about Pastan?s poem is the way she effectively conveys these sentiments by the use of metaphors, tone, and informal diction. The speaker?s attitude is one of indifference, and this is made apparent by the metaphors she uses to compare her family?s regard for her duties as a wife and mother to school grades.... [tags: Papers Poem Marks Linda Pastan Essays]
595 words (1.7 pages)
- Feeling quite tired and hungry, my friend and I entered the food court of the Everett Mall. Looking around, I decided that I was going to get some Chinese food. I turned to my friend and told him, he said that he would too. We then made our way over to the Chinese food counter. Upon arriving, I realized a possible problem; we only had Canadian money. I walked up to the woman at the counter, and asked her if they accepted Canadian money there. "No, sorry, we only accept American money," she responded.... [tags: Creative Writing Essays]
876 words (2.5 pages)
- Written by Shakespeare, The Moor of Venice: A Tale of Overt Racism
- The Once Pristine Idyllic Wetland is Now a Garbage Dump
- Many Metals Found on Mauritius in the Indian Ocean
- Life's Guidelines to Know the Difference Between Right and Wrong are Ethics
- The Final Frontier Is Humanities Future.
- Understanding Science Affects a Person's Life