A child is killing police officers. A teenager is hiring prostitutes to potentially kill them. He is using weapons such as guns, chainsaws, and knives to kill and commit horrible crimes. Thousands of children and teens participate in these actions daily. How? Violent video games such as Doom, Call of Duty, and Grand Theft Auto are just a few of the games that are full of these awful actions. An article in the Harvard Mental Health Letter states, “The Pew Research Center reported in 2008 that 97% of youths ages 12 to 17 played some type of video game, and that two-thirds of them played action and adventure games that tend to contain violent content.” Another investigation showed that over half of the games the ESRB rates contain violence, and over 90% of those games are evaluated acceptable for people over the age of 10 (“Violent...Young People” 1). These violent video games contribute to aggressive behavior, bullying, and recently spotlighted school shootings. Many believe these games should be banned for children and teens. Critics say that these games give adolescents a way to vent out their anger and frustrations in a safe environment and that there is research to prove violent video games have no effect on normal children. Because they are harmful, video games that promote violence should be banned in regards to children and youth.
The first and most important reason video games should be banned for children is the games increase aggressive behavior. Children who play the violent video games are seeing and participating in the things such as crime, physical abuse, and even murder. While playing these games on a regular basis, children begin to think that it 's okay to solve proble...
... middle of paper ...
...may play them.
When it comes to protecting the lives of children and teens today, violent video games need to be banned. They contribute to youth violence such as aggression, bullying, and school shootings. Critics may argue that these games allow for youth to vent out anger, or that only the already oppressed children are harmed by these games. However, there is no proof that playing these games does not negatively affect adolescents in some way. Even though there are different sides on the issue of violent video games, both agree that there are things parents can do to restrict the playing of these games to decrease the amount of negative outcomes (“Violent…Young People” 1). It is our responsibility to ensure the safety and security of our children and youth by doing whatever it takes to get rid of these horrible games that promote violence in their lives.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Video games have changed our society radically, in which some people doubt it's for the better. According to one survey, 9 out of 10 U.S. households with children have rented or owned a video or computer game. Ever since the beginning of gaming, people have observed the effects of the games. Kids and adults alike, are more attracted to violent games. But is it the games to blame for how people act or behave around people or by themselves. A majority of gamers are adults, and what kind of games are they playing.... [tags: video games, media violence]
1020 words (2.9 pages)
- We make the assumption that kids in our society this day have the opportunity to play different kinds of video games,but we came to a point in which we let them play violent video games. We do not realize if violent video games affects them in different ways or even to the point in which they come violente in their schools or in the home. I am in pro because there are many ways young kids become learners of what is around them. Today i am going to talk about how violent video games contribute to youth violence.... [tags: Video game, Video game controversy]
1354 words (3.9 pages)
- Many People have put their attention directly on the influence violent video games have on the bad behavior of children. People believe videogames intensify aggression in children, while others say it can be a safe getaway for a child to express his aggression. Many opinions on this issue are stated still today, and they remain divided amongst the people who claim videogames to be a cause of aggression and those who claim otherwise. A child’s behavior can not be determined by violent video games, but instead is caused by a variety of environmental and domestic factors.... [tags: education, behavior, psychology]
984 words (2.8 pages)
- ... Than a person who do not or rarely play any video game. This means a person who play videogames, are better suit around his or her surrounding and could help improve our society. Between 1995 and 2008 there has been huge production of violent video games because of this there has been a huge decrease of juvenile crimes. In the article, Do Violent Video Games Contribute to Youth Violence, the defenders of violent video games argue, “ if video games do cause youth to be violent, then one would expect juvenile violent crime to increase as more youth play violent video games.... [tags: crimes, 14th Amendment, claim]
605 words (1.7 pages)
- Will banning violent video games stop teenagers from committing violent crimes. Research has shown that violent video games will not turn people, more specifically teenagers, into psychotic killers. Video games are more of a hobby, or addicting obsession amongst teens. In fact, crime in America has been reduced because video games act as a way to vent out any anger or urges that can go through teenagers “Imaginary Guns”. “Teenagers are able to understand the difference of video game violence and reality”.... [tags: teenagers, ctime]
1308 words (3.7 pages)
- Our nation has changed over the years. There is no question about that. The generation that my grandfather grew up in during the 1930’s and 1940’s has often been called “The Greatest Generation” (Brokaw). Why is my generation not talked about for our inventions and advances in technology. Maybe that the downfall of our generation has been the media and the influence it has on the public. There is no doubt that the media can spin a story into a shocking and scary account produced solely on the intent to sell.... [tags: Violence, Video Games]
1449 words (4.1 pages)
- video games containing violence like mentioned in an earlier paragraph, it would decrease the market drastically. Research towards violent video games causing violence are often flawed or inflict some bias. Ferguson expresses after his research, “Scholars have expressed concern that many past studies have relied on flawed methodology including poorly validated outcome measures, failure to control for third variables and single responder bias” (117). Variables are ignored such as competitive drive, overall wellbeing, and if they enjoy the games initially.... [tags: Violence, Aggression, Video game controversy]
719 words (2.1 pages)
- Do videogames really need to be censored by the United States’ Government. Over the past several years there has been a controversial court case under discussion to censor videogames. This case is trying to get the United States’ Government to prohibit the selling of all videogames that may include graphic violence, virtual sex, violent and gory scenes, partial or full nudity, portrayal of criminal behavior or other provocative and objectionable material (Mears, Para 1). There are numerous arguments why videogames should or should not be censored.... [tags: Government, Censoring Video Games]
2197 words (6.3 pages)
- Violence and Sexuality in Video Games Unlike popular belief, the first violent video game was not Mortal Kombat. The killing started with a game called Death Race 2000 released in 1976 by Exidy Software. It was based on a B movie by the same title and features the main theme of the movie in the game: to run people over. You control the car to run over people, and the people you have killed become a cross. Needless to say, the game was quick to draw attentions towards it. The criticism from Americans all over the nation eventually got the game pulled off the market.... [tags: Video Games]
3088 words (8.8 pages)
- Video Games Are Beneficial Video Games have come a long way since their first introduction into the main stream. With video games becoming more sophisticated and using advanced technology, it seems as if video games are closing in on the gap between games and reality. However, as video games become ever so life-like it brings up the question of if the violence associated with video games is having a negative consequence. There have been many accusations over the years over the harm video games are causing children and teenagers.... [tags: Video Games]
1872 words (5.3 pages)
- Haiti Was The Second Independent Country Of Gain Independence From A Slave Revolt?
- A College Degree Will Promote Your Salary Income
- Tobacco Is Made From Dried Up Tobacco
- International Monetary Fund 's -structural Adjustment Program
- The Marriage Of Arranged Marriages
- Asian American Studies Class Essay