Generally speaking, the backup of mission critical data is the most important part of any IT engineer’s job. While recovering the missing data is important, additional consideration needs to be given to getting the network framework back up and running quickly so that employees can get back to work, saving the company the added cost of lost man-hours. We also need to ensure that the network structure that gets restored is one that the employees are use to using. Those hours the company saved in lost productivity by getting the network back up and the data restored will be lost if the environment provided to the employees is unfamiliar and causes them to spend their time working inefficiently. Any precautions implemented by a company need to take into account these factors at the very least to ensure network stability. During the discussion of these topics in this paper we will first explore the various procedures and structures that make up a sound backup system, and then we will look what it takes to backup the network environment in a Windows 2000 domain.
Let’s take into consideration a situation where the hard drive on your corporation’s primary file server fails. You contact the manufacturer of the server and have a warranty replacement hard drive shipped out to replace the one that failed. The problem is that that replacement hard drive is not shipped with your company’s data on it, and therefore is not a comprehensive substitute for the drive you lost. The main reason for this is because data (unlike hardware) cannot be replaced once it is lost, unless precautions were taken ahead of time that takes into consideration the possible failure of that drive.
Safety measures are usu...
... middle of paper ...
...mpany a fortune in lost productivity. We have seen how to restore the Active Directory using many different scenarios and situations, and we are aware of the inner working of the AD so that we can take into account the best method for restoring the domain.
Microsoft Corporation., Active Directory Disaster Recovery, Microsoft TechNet, June 16, 2004,
Paul Shields., Overview: Backup media options, The Business Mac, June, 14, 2004,
Microsoft Corporation., Restoring and Reconciling Server Services, Windows 2000 Server Disaster Recovery Guidelines, June 10, 2004,
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Have you ever wondered where Microsoft will go next with Windows, well now it is time for you to find out. Microsoft has almost completed Windows 2000, which will be the new era for software around the world. In the last year computers have grow dramatically, with the new Pentium II chip and processors with the speeds up to 450MHZ. Almost every family home in America today has at least one personal computer. Whether it is for business or pleasure, more and more people are realizing the significance of computers.... [tags: essays research papers]
712 words (2 pages)
- An Introduction to Windows 2000 Professional Reliability Windows 2000 Professional is up to 30 percent faster and, according to National Software Testing Labs (NSTL) tests, 13 times more reliable than Windows 98. The operating system is the most reliable version of Windows ever produced. Memory conflicts and missing or altered system files caused many of the system crashes prior to Windows 2000. To put an end to these problems, Microsoft changed Windows 2000 memory management to reduce the chance that software applications will interfere with one another.... [tags: Essays Papers]
3290 words (9.4 pages)
- Windows 2000 Professional Summary In this first part of class we covered the entire Windows 2000 Professional operating system. We covered everything that you would need to know to install, use and administer Windows 2000 Professional. All of the labs we did helped us further understand the Windows 2000 operating system. We did everything from installing Windows to encrypting files. I liked the labs where we had to set up user profiles and permissions. Philip was my partner for any labs that required a partner.... [tags: Essays]
4373 words (12.5 pages)
- Windows 2000 Windows NT Workstation 5.0 is now called Windows 2000 Professional Windows NT Server 5.0 is now Windows 2000 Server Windows NT Server Enterprise Edition becomes Windows 2000 Advanced Server Plus there is a new offering: Windows 2000 Datacenter Server Windows 2000 Professional will be limited to support only two processors. Windows 2000 Server will be able to support up to four processors. Windows 2000 Advanced Server will support up to eight processors. And Windows 2000 Datacenter Server will support up to 32 processors and additional clustering functions.... [tags: Free Essay Writer]
513 words (1.5 pages)
- Active Directory User Groups Implementation Synopsis of Proposal Subsequent to the Active Directory (AD) implementation discussion, this proposal addresses possible user accounts and group organizations for Riordan Manufacturing. This document discusses user and group accounts available through AD, and addresses possible implementation plans for the parent domain of riordanmanufacturing.com. These plans could also be implemented in the child domains for the four Riordan facilities, though addressing the actual implementations for those sites falls beyond the scope of this document.... [tags: Active Directory (AD) Implementation]
672 words (1.9 pages)
- Windows Networking How does DDNS replace WINS in Windows 2000 and later. DDNS replaces WINS by allowing DNS clients to update information in the DNS database files. IP Addresses and DNS records stay in synch so that you can use DNS and DHCP together seamlessly. WINS listens to NBT broadcasts and can not update IP Address information if the DHCP lease expires since the NBT broadcasts registers the machines IP Address with the WINS Server at boot up. NetBIOS is not routable which further complicates things.... [tags: Technology Networking Windows Report]
1897 words (5.4 pages)
- Abstract This paper covers how Domain Management has evolved from Window NT 4.0 to Active Directory. Also it provides an in-depth look at all of the advantages Active Directory has over Window NT 4.0. The benefits of using Active Directory are broken up into Categories including the improvements in scalability, organization, and replication. This paper also shows how users are managed in an Active Directory environment as opposed to local users. Active Directory is a very useful tool created by Microsoft to make the server/client relationship easier to create and maintain throughout Windows based systems.... [tags: Microsoft Active Directory]
1568 words (4.5 pages)
- Should this business update to Windows 2000 from Windows 98 for its office PCs. In the business world today, computers and the software applications that run on them basically control an well-organized business. Every major company is equipped with a computer, or network that connects through different branches throughout the firm. To keep up with the fastest technology that dominates the market is to be a sensible buyer. A system can be outdated in a matter of two years time. Therefore, it is necessary for the business to update to Windows 2000 from Windows 98 for its office PCs.... [tags: essays research papers]
472 words (1.3 pages)
- Comparison of Windows 2000 and Knoppix Linux Boot Disk Introduction What is X Windows. The X Window System, often known as X, is a windowing system for graphics workstations developed at MIT with support from DEC, Indiana University (1997-2005). What is the Microsoft counterpart. Microsoft's Windows Graphic Device Interface or (GDI) performs the same functionality for Windows as X Windows does for UNIX or Linux operating systems. We begin the journey by separating out the Windows manager (KDM) from the X Windows (XFree86) on the Knoppix Linux disk.... [tags: Compare Contrast Technology Essays]
803 words (2.3 pages)
- The Year 2000 is Coming. Here we are close to the dawn of the millennium. An even 2000 years has passed since man has decided to start counting. That has to be significant, doesn't it. Conspiracy theorists, self- proclaimed prophets, and doomsayers can take this opportunity to spread rumors of world destruction or take ancient prophecies and interpret them to their liking. Life must be getting boring or over stimulating for these folks. There are so many different groups spreading awareness in preparation for the millennium.... [tags: Millenium New Year 2000 Essays]
1454 words (4.2 pages)