The Hollywood film Rain Man is about the Autistic disorder Savant syndrome. In Rain Man, Raymond Babbitt (played by Dustin Hoffman) has Savant Syndrome and his brother Charlie Babbitt (played by Tom Cruise) finds out about Raymond being his brother and that he is good with numbers so Charlie decides to use his brother to make money. Over the course of the time that Charlie and Raymond are together, they become closer and Charlie is not just using Raymond for money. Hollywood portrays Savant syndrome accurately compared to what the APA says about Savant.
Savant is a unique form of autism that has its own special skills, which set Savant apart from all other forms of autism. The most common skills found in savant patients are splinter skills. Some of the most common behaviors associated with splinter skills are memorization of, music, sports, trivia, maps and historical facts. There are two other forms of savant, talented savants and prodigious savant. Talented savant is when a patient is very talented in one given field such as math or music. The other form, prodigious savant is extremely rare, at most fifty people worldwide have this form. Prodigious savant is like talented savant but on steroids, the skill level that prodigious savants have would classify them, as a ‘prodigy’ even for a normal person the skill level is outstanding. There have never been more than one hundred prodigious savants in one century, which shows how rare this for of savant is.
There are many different ideas on what causes savant, yet not one of the ideas can hold true for all savants. One theory, which quite consistently provides an increasingly plausible explanation for savant abilities in many ca...
... middle of paper ...
...ow Raymond did amazing mathematical calculations in seconds, without even thinking about it. This is believable because one of the skills that savants have is lightening quick mathematical capabilities, which is not possible for a normal person to have. Raymond had to do a series of math problems from the doctor, who was doing it on a calculator. Raymond got every problem correct within seconds after the doctor asked it. Rain Man overall is a very accurate portray of savant syndrome not only because Hollywood showed the skills which savants have, but Rain Man also shows the bad side to savant syndrome which in this case, is autism. Raymond has autism, which means he has a social interaction problems and he cannot break his routines for doing things. If an autistic’s routine was to be broken or altered they will panic and often scream and whine, like a toddler.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Autism is a neurological abnormality that affects many different people in a number of ways. There are no symptoms that specifically define the disorder, but there are so many different symptoms that it is hard to diagnose. Sometimes the disorder can be so severe, that the person has a hard time functioning in society normally, but sometimes they can be mild, causing only some social complications for the person. Asperger’s, a milder case of autism, can sometimes have symptoms that are not so severe, causing the person to appear almost normal.... [tags: Film, Abnormality]
1416 words (4 pages)
- There are many movies that portray mental and psychological disorders, from these I chose the award winning movie: Rain Man. Rain Man was released on December 14, 1988. In the beginning of this movie, a car dealer, Charlie Babbitt (Tom Cruise), learns that his father has died and returns home to Cincinnati to attend his funeral. Charlie and his father had a falling out with each other starting when Charlie was sixteen years old and decided to steal his father’s car for a victory lap around town.... [tags: Psychiatry, Mental disorder, Autism]
1613 words (4.6 pages)
- Autistic Savant Savant Syndrome is a rare but often extraordinary disorder in which an individual with a severe mental impairment or autism, have a spectacular talent or cognitive ability that others may consider genius. More recently, many have begun to classify Savant Syndrome as “Islands of Genius.” However, contrary to popular belief, not all savants are autistic. Many savants are developmentally disabled, or have some sort of central nervous system disorder. According to the Autism Research Institute, “Historically, individuals with these exceptional skills were called 'idiot savants, ' a French term meaning unlearned (idiot) skill (savant).... [tags: Savant syndrome, Rain Man, Brain, Kim Peek]
802 words (2.3 pages)
- How many of us wished to have super powers as kids . I don't mean being strong as hulk, being bitten by a spider to be able to climb buildings like spider man, or be able to fly like birds around the city in the blue sky's. It is known that the human brain can not focus on a single task more than 10%. But there have been some individuals that are capable of this ability. Daniel Tammet have learned one of the most strenuous languages on earth fluently in just 7 days from his interview or Stephen Wiltshire which was capable of drawing the New York city and Rome just by having an one time tour with the helicopter and flying around the city he was able to draw the whole city and mentioning all... [tags: Idiot Savant]
1023 words (2.9 pages)
- Assignment one Rain man “Rain Man’ is a movie about two lost brothers named Raymond and Charlie Babbitt. Raymond was the brother that suffered from autistic savant syndrome. Charlie did not know he had a brother due to a very distant relationship with his father. In the movie his father dies and leaves Raymond a three million trust fund for his care in the institution, where he has spent most of his adult life. Charlie is left with his fathers rose bushes and his 1949 Buick Road master that ruined their relationship.... [tags: Savant syndrome, Rain Man, Kim Peek]
1401 words (4 pages)
- Assignment one Rain man “Rain Man’ is a movie about two lost brothers named Raymond and Charlie Babbitt. Raymond was the brother that suffered from an autistic savant syndrome. Charlie did not know he had a brother due to a very distant relationship with his father. During the movie his father dies and leaves Raymond a three million trust fund for his care in the institution, where he has spent most of his adult life. Charlie is left with his fathers rose bushes and his 1949 Buick Road master that ruined their relationship.... [tags: Savant syndrome, Rain Man, Kim Peek]
1698 words (4.9 pages)
- Savant Syndrome is an extremely rare condition in which a person with a severe mental handicap has extraordinary abilities in a certain area, such as memorization, mathematics, or the playing of instruments. The first known case of savant syndrome was documented in a German scientific journal, Gnothi Sauton, in 1783. This article described the case of a man named Jedediah Buxton, who was talented in memorization and mathematics (Treffert 2009). Ever since this first account of Savant Syndrome was recorded, scientists and physicians alike have tried to understand this unusual disorder.... [tags: Health, Diseases, Splinter Skills, ]
1725 words (4.9 pages)
- What is Savant Syndrome. Savant Syndrome is an uncommon but spectacular condition in which people with various developmental disabilities have problems interacting normally. This condition is often seen in people with autism that has limited abilities with language, socialization, and daily living. Autism is a moderately rare condition resulting from a complex developmental disability that typically appears during the first three years of life – which we learned in class. Despite daily limitations people who are diagnosed with savant syndrome tend to develop surprising skills above their apparent cognitive level, and sometimes even above the level of a very smart person.... [tags: Cerebrum, Cerebral cortex, Human brain]
708 words (2 pages)
- Autism And Savant Syndrome A little boy quietly sits in front of a piano, with his fingers poised over the bright white keys. His teacher, seated beside him on the bench, plays a complicated series of chords, filling the air with a beautiful melody. After a single hearing, the boy begins to play, perfectly reproducing the song he has just heard. As the last notes fade away, the boy sits still for a moment and then begins to rock gently back and forth, only stopping once the music begins again....... [tags: Biology Essays Research Papers]
1996 words (5.7 pages)
- The Rain Man The Rain Man stars Dustin Hoffman and Tom Cruise. The movie was made in 1988. The movie is about an autistic man named Raymon, who is a idiot savant played by Dustin Hoffman and his fast, talking self absorbed, egocentric brother Charlie Babbitt, who is played by Tom Cruise. A egocentric person is a person with the simple recognition that every living thing views the world from a unique, self-oriented perspective(LIFE: Inherently Egocentric written by James Craig Green http://pw2.netcom.com/~zeno7/ego.html).... [tags: Movie Film Rain Man Rainman Essays]
1713 words (4.9 pages)