The next day, I went exploring, trying to figure out what was different about Sydney. Of course everyone around the world knows about the famous Opera House in the harbor but there was something different with the commercial building around the CBD.
In this essay I will discuss what I’ve learned about Australian architecture, a brief history, and most of all, a major influence to the Australian style, Harry Seidler. Australia is a country that has only been around almost 100 years, a short time compared to other countries like America that has been around for almost 200 years. With Australia being a young country, it’s easy to see that it is still discovering the Australian style. In 1890 the architect James Izett and Howard Joseland raised the question, ‘What, in the first place, must guide us in the development of an Australian type (Johnson 1980, p. 2)?’ Both seemed to believe that climate was the answer. Another man named James Green thought that public and urban buildings should be seen as one style and domestic architecture as another. A popular view was that the old, ‘conservative’ Bri...
... middle of paper ...
... Government 2008, Modern Australian Architecture, viewed 21 November 2011,
Australian Government 2010, Australian Architecture, viewed 4 October 2011,
Johnson, DL 1980, Australian Architecure 1901 - 51, Sydney University Press, Sydney.
Lumby, R 2006, Harry Seidler 1923 - 2006, viewed 4 October 2011,
Saunders, A 2000, Modern Australian Architecture & the Meaning of Gardens, viewed 21 November 2011,
Vulker, J 1990, Studying Australian Architecture, National Capital Printing, Canberra.
Wikipedia 2011, Architecture of Australia, viewed 4 October 2011,
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- The western style 2013 Australian feature film Mystery Road centres around indigenous detective Jay Swan as he investigates the murder of indigenous teenager Julie Mason. Swan’s continued struggles to convince the rest of the local police – who all happen to be white males – to help him to solve the case lead him to find a drug ring. Sen represents the idea that indigenous people do not receive justice through the construction of Jay Swan and the unjust way the rest of the Indigenous community are treated by the white community and predominately white police force, encouraging my empathetic response.... [tags: Indigenous Australians, Indigenous peoples]
1008 words (2.9 pages)
- When you have a group of three people or larger, most of the time, someone is in charge, or has the most power. In the Harry Potter series, the three main characters, or the “golden trio” as their often referred, are in a constant power struggle. Harry Potter, Hermione Granger, and Ron Weasley met their first year of Hogwarts, their school, at 11 years old. They grew up together, and felt their friendship grow under the structure of school. In the film Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1, the trio no longer is a part of the structured school environment.... [tags: Harry Potter]
2222 words (6.3 pages)
- Executive Summary The Australian Fashion industry has advanced drastically over the past 50 years, through style changes and technological advancements. The underlying system has stayed the same within the fashion industry, aside from all the changes. This fashion system, built up of the components of the internal system within the fashion industry and the factors affecting them, is the base guidelines to what the fashion industry is about. The Australian fashion industry developed it individual identity in the past 20 years, before which it adapted the looks that evolved mainly from Europe.... [tags: culture, style, design]
2400 words (6.9 pages)
- Research on J.K Rowling J.K Rowling, or Joanne Rowling, was born in July of 1965 in England, where she also grew up. J.K Rowling wrote the award winning series of Harry Potter. After grade school, Rowling went to college and received a degree in French and Classics. After college, Rowling moved to London and became a researcher, and in her biography it explains that she did this while still having other jobs. My assumption is that the researching job did not provide well enough to support her.... [tags: Harry Potter]
1159 words (3.3 pages)
- Urban consolidation refers to a diverse set of policies intended to make more efficient use of the existing urbanised areas instead of developing non-urbanised land, thus limiting urban sprawl. The recent publication of the Melbourne 2030 plan indicates that Melbourne is adopting an urban consolidated direction for further development. This has raised many debates over whether it is the right plan. There are two sides to this complex argument. People in favorite suggests that urban consolidation offers a range of solutions to pressing urban problems socially and environmentally, for example it reduces car use and provide better access to facilities, whilst the other point of view argues that... [tags: Australia, Australian]
971 words (2.8 pages)
- Many opportunities and challenges await the global economies of today. The balancing of one country’s financial position has the capability to bring down an entire nation in an instant. One country’s financial gains require financial losses of another. The Australian economy is currently undergoing a major shift that is leading to low productivity and increased unemployed. Despite its current growing pains, the Australian economy remains resilient and is positioned to continue into its “23rd year of uninterrupted annual economic growth”.... [tags: Australian Economy]
1495 words (4.3 pages)
- On Style Style is a very ambiguous word. Asking the question, “What is Style?” is almost a philosophical endeavor, comparable with “What is Truth?” Asking the question, “What is Good Style?” is even harder. Society’s boundaries are constantly shifting to accept or banish items from the definition, in art and writing specifically. Yet there are certain elements that remain constant in all these changes, and these are the elements that style manuals try to pin down. Before the class reading/blogging project began, I thought of style as the method a writer uses to communicate his/her ideas to the reader.... [tags: Style Toward Clarity Elements Writing Essays]
932 words (2.7 pages)
- Australian Aborigines Australian Aborigines are thought to have the longest continuous cultural history in the world. Yet, within a hundred years, the near extinction of the Aboriginal culture almost occurred. This single event, the invasion of the Australian continent by European settlers, changed the lifestyle, the culture, and the fate of Australian Aborigines. Their entire lives were essentially taken away and they were forced into a white, European world where the lifestyle change could not have been any different.... [tags: Australian Australia History Culture Essays]
2572 words (7.3 pages)
- Style I often wonder what style is, and how does a person know when they are in possession of it. Style is one of the many things that seem to change form day to day for me, and I'm never sure where it might lead me. I think we all have our own style, but how can we get away from having the same style that other people have. When I look through magazines, all I read is the same thing over and over, in a little different style, or voice. Then, when I look out the window, I see people dressed in about the same fashions.... [tags: Style Personality Individuality Papers]
1804 words (5.2 pages)
- Style After reading Strunk and White’s, The Elements of Style, Williams’, Style: Toward Clarity and Grace, and my peers’ reviews of these two books, I have come up with an all encompassing answer to the question: what is style, and what elements are most important to all writers. The answer is: there is no clear cut definition of style. It is ever changing; and is based on society’s views of what makes good writing, not necessarily the writer’s own thoughts on the matter. Therefore, the writer is better off following the set rules of grammar, punctuation, and sentence structure, determined by society; then adding her own voice.... [tags: Writing Styles Style Paper]
1566 words (4.5 pages)