The stage was brightly lit from both on stage and the front of house and the musicians were arranged in a semi circle around the podium. The back rows of the strings section were mounted on risers and high stools. They were all wearing black formal wear. They seemed confident in their playing and very relaxed and used to the stage. They all had excellent posture and were concentrating on the music without talking.
The music that was performed was classical. The orchestra was standard and composed primarily of violins, violas, cellos, and basses, as well as a smaller amount of woodwinds including flutes and bassoons, in addition to some brass, including trumpets and horns. For Harold in Italy, they also had a solo violist, Rennie Regehr.
The performers’ abilities were of a high level bec...
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- I attended the UF Symphony Orchestra performance where the theme was of 1809. The works of Haydn, Beethoven and Mendelssohn were performed. In my opinion the best piece was Symphony No. 101 in D Major “The Clock” by Joseph Haydn. The opening movement itself was Adagio-Presto. The slow introduction draws you into the music, making you listen for the different instruments and tones that come and go. It helps to create a base from which the music will take off. It allowed me to paint a picture and change it accordingly with the music.... [tags: Symphony Orchestra, performance, art, Haydn,]
591 words (1.7 pages)
- The Philadelphia Orchestra is an American symphony orchestra in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Their concert hall is at the Kimmel Center for Performing Arts, where they perform for their patrons during their main season, September to May, in Verizon Hall. This has become the orchestra’s performance hall since 2001, since they also own the Academy of Music, which is the oldest operating opera house in the nation since 1957. The orchestra also performs for its Philadelphia audiences during the summer at the Mann Center for the Performing Arts.... [tags: Orchestra, Violin, Philadelphia Orchestra, Music]
1109 words (3.2 pages)
- For my first required concert performance in this course, I decided to attend a local Terre Haute Symphony Orchestra concert. The concert was held September 26, 2015 at 7:30 pm in the Tilson Auditorium located on the Indiana State University campus. The musical program for the evening was a presentation of Dvorak’s “New World Symphony” and Sibelius’ “Concerto in D minor for Violin and Orchestra, op 47” with guest violinist Ariel Horowitz. The opening piece was “Overture to Zampa” by Louis Herold.... [tags: Music, Orchestra, Symphony, Tempo]
1002 words (2.9 pages)
- I have had the pleasure to attend the Kimmel Center concerto on April 14th, 2016. The Kimmel Center is located at the Avenue of the Srts in Philadelphia, PA. I have gotten to see the Philadelphia Orchestra perform classical music. The event started exactly at 8pm, in the Verizon Hall, the home of the Philadelphia Orchestra. The Philadelphia Orchestra had the Fabulous Philadelphians with Yannick Nezek Seguin was the conductor, Don S, Liuzzi on the Timpani and Ricardo Morales on the Clarinet. Yannick and the Orchestra have continued a proud tradition if giving musicians the opportunity to stand in front of the ensemble as soloists.... [tags: Orchestra, Musical instrument, Music]
758 words (2.2 pages)
- Symphonies have been an attractive idea since the 1500s. In our modern era, the concept of a youth symphony is not particularly common, but certainly feasible. By definition, a youth symphony orchestra must only consist of musicians who are younger than eighteen years of age. Four certain criteria must be met to be an authentic, immersive youth orchestra. The criteria that make a youth symphony authentic is the size of the orchestra, the quality of the music, the repertoires chosen, and the programs within the orchestra.... [tags: Orchestra, Brass instrument, Woodwind instrument]
1030 words (2.9 pages)
- On Thursday November 5, I had the opportunity to see the Toronto Symphony Orchestra perform a student concert called Big Bold Brass. The concert was set to teach students the various techniques and skills of the many brass players in the orchestra. They, along with guest tubist Øystein Baadsvik played several pieces showing the virtuosity in the styles brass instruments can play. The first piece they perform was Festive Overture by Dmitri Shostakovich. They then played the fanfare from La Peri.... [tags: Trumpet, Brass instrument, Orchestra, Tuba]
1190 words (3.4 pages)
- In the Ottawa area there are many educational options for potential students. As a government town with a population of over one million people, there are many demands for a variety of training institutions. The largest and most recognizable institution for hands-on training would be Algonquin College of Applied Arts and Technology. Located in the west end of the city, this public community college has over one hundred and twenty-five full and part time programs ranging from trades and technology to health care services.... [tags: Ottawa, education, schools,]
591 words (1.7 pages)
- Of music’s place in our lives influential German philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche once said, “Without music, life would be a mistake.” In my life’s experience, however, some music is a kind of mistake. This sentiment was born out of my unfortunate four years as an orchestral cellist in Manlius Pebble Hill’s small, uninspired school orchestra. Fortunately for me, however, a superior artistic experience existed close by. Urged on by a fellow cellist in Manlius Pebble Hill’s orchestra, I decided to audition for the Syracuse Youth Symphony Orchestra (SYSO) one sunny June afternoon in what would be the beginning of a two-year long, artistically satisfying relationship.... [tags: Orchestra, Symphony, Hector Berlioz]
1135 words (3.2 pages)
- When explaining band and orchestra, they can be further broken down into different groups. Orchestra can be further broken down into string orchestra and symphony orchestra while the band can be broken down into jazz band and rock band. These classifications separate musicians into different musical groups depending what type of music and instruments they play, Children are given the opportunity to play an instrument starting their fifth-grade year. Many kids, however, do not know whether they want to play a wind or percussion instrument for band or a string instrument for orchestra.... [tags: Orchestra, Musical instrument, Brass instrument]
987 words (2.8 pages)
- On Wednesday, November 5th, 2014 at 7:30 p.m. the Charlotte Symphony performed seven compositions by various “maverick” composers. Halton Theatre at Central Piedmont Community College’s central campus was pack to near full capacity. The program included the Molto Allegro from Mozart’s Symphony No. 40 in G-Minor, Warehouse Medicine by Mason Bates, Apotheosis by Austin Wintory, Cielito Lindo a traditional Spanish copla, Oaken Sky by Chris Rogerson, Le Tombeau de Couperin by Maurice Ravel, and the 4th movement of Beethoven’s Symphony No.... [tags: Orchestra, Symphony, Sonata form]
1458 words (4.2 pages)
- H. Pylori and its Interactions with Humans in “An Endangered Species in the Stomach” by Martin J. Blaser
- The Hero Monomyths of Herkales and Odysseus via Joseph Campbell’s Hero Archetype
- School Uniforms Save Time
- How Hundertwasserhaus and Architecture Excites Me
- Daisy Buchanan's Sardonic Perspective in "The Great Gatsby"
- The Benefits of Juvenile Sentencing to Service