For my first required concert performance in this course, I decided to attend a local Terre Haute Symphony Orchestra concert. The concert was held September 26, 2015 at 7:30 pm in the Tilson Auditorium located on the Indiana State University campus. The musical program for the evening was a presentation of Dvorak’s “New World Symphony” and Sibelius’ “Concerto in D minor for Violin and Orchestra, op 47” with guest violinist Ariel Horowitz. The opening piece was “Overture to Zampa” by Louis Herold.
The pieces that were performed this evening came from a mix of genres. “Overture to Zampa” is an instrumental piece from an opera while the other two pieces were symphonic pieces. All of the composers can be considered to be from the Romantic era but they all came from different times of the era. Herold would have been composing during the late classical/early romantic eras alongside composers like Schubert and Mozart. Dvorak on the other hand would have been composing during the late portion of the era with composers such as Tchaikovsky and Grieg. Finally Sibelius would have been active at the very end of the romantic era/very beginning of the 20th century classical period. He would have been active along with DeBussy and Richard Strauss.
The programs for this performance contained some interesting information on the composers that were being played along with their pieces. It also contained background information on the Symphony itself, the conductor David Bowden, the soloist and gave the names of all the members of the Symphony. The program notes contained a lot of descriptive information on each of the pieces. The Herold piece description included the fact that even though it is of darker subject material Zampa is considered to be...
... middle of paper ...
...ably Native American in sound.
The audience for this concert was a very diverse mix. There were older people dressed to the nines, younger people who were obviously students, and people in between the two. We were also joined by the Linda Luebke Strings Festival participants, one of whom was my eldest daughter who is a viola player locally. For the most part the audience was totally enthralled by the performance and well behaved with the exception of one young gentleman who apparently was feeling very ill. I was very nervous about going to the concert and concerned I would feel out of place but, I was happily surprised that once the music started I felt very much at ease. I thoroughly enjoyed the performance and, with my husband, decided that even after this class ends we are going to make it a point to continue attending these performances as often as we are able.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- The performance that I attended was of the Ottawa Symphony Orchestra playing the Overture to The creatures of Prometheus, by Beethoven, the Concerto for Orchestra by Kodaly, and Harold in Italy, by Berlioz. The orchestra was conducted by David Currie, and I think that they played very well overall. The stage was brightly lit from both on stage and the front of house and the musicians were arranged in a semi circle around the podium. The back rows of the strings section were mounted on risers and high stools.... [tags: Symphony Orchestra, concerts, music,]
520 words (1.5 pages)
- The concert I attended was the Liszt, Prokofiev, and Dvořák concert at the Chicago Symphony Center. Emmanuel Krivine is a French conductor who conducted the orchestra to play Liszt’s compositions Les Préludes, Symphonic Poem No. 3. Next was Prokofiev’s Piano Concerto No. 2 in G Minor, Op. 16 in the Andantino, Scherzo: Vivace, Moderato, Allegro tempestoso, the piano soloist was Russian pianist Denis Kozhukhin who was accompanied by The Chicago Symphony Orchestra. Lastly was Dvořák’s Symphony No. 8 in G Major, Op.... [tags: Music, Musical instrument, Orchestra, Piano]
1151 words (3.3 pages)
- The Symphony Orchestra concert was preformed by The OU School of Music with Jonathan Shames as a conductor and they presented Sutton Concert Series. In addition, the Orchestra concert performed at Paul F. Sharp Concert Hall in October 12, 2015.There were like forty-one performers on the stage including the conductor using different types of instruments and and all of them were wearing a nice black clothes. The stage was a quite large with wooden floor and there were two floors for the audience with a comfortable seating.... [tags: Music, Tempo, Orchestra, Brass instrument]
818 words (2.3 pages)
- The Philadelphia Orchestra is an American symphony orchestra in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Their concert hall is at the Kimmel Center for Performing Arts, where they perform for their patrons during their main season, September to May, in Verizon Hall. This has become the orchestra’s performance hall since 2001, since they also own the Academy of Music, which is the oldest operating opera house in the nation since 1957. The orchestra also performs for its Philadelphia audiences during the summer at the Mann Center for the Performing Arts.... [tags: Orchestra, Violin, Philadelphia Orchestra, Music]
1109 words (3.2 pages)
- Classical music is considered to play an important role in the general education of children in the United States. Everyone grows up hearing a classical song here and there but very few are able to truly enjoy the beauty in classical music. Last Saturday, November 12th, I had the opportunity to attend my first Classical music concert at the Fresno State Concert Hall. It was a fairly small auditorium with architecture built specifically to amplify and enhance the sound of the orchestra. Here, I was able to listen to the Fresno State Symphony Orchestra perform with Maria Briggs.... [tags: Opera, Music, Orchestra, Clarinet]
861 words (2.5 pages)
- The Los Angeles County Museum of Art has a website that announces its programs. Anyone can easily find and choose a concert. I chose a concert for Sunday July 25, 2010. This concert was emerging artists from Ipalpiti Festibal 2010. It included the four pieces of music that are described below. One of these was Fantasiestucke, Opus 88, both Romanze and Duet were preformed. This concerto was performed by pianist Luiza Borac, violinist Vladimir Dyo, and cellist Yves Dharamraj. The second piece was Ahnung, a new discovery piece from Kinderszenen.... [tags: Concert]
1292 words (3.7 pages)
- When explaining band and orchestra, they can be further broken down into different groups. Orchestra can be further broken down into string orchestra and symphony orchestra while the band can be broken down into jazz band and rock band. These classifications separate musicians into different musical groups depending what type of music and instruments they play, Children are given the opportunity to play an instrument starting their fifth-grade year. Many kids, however, do not know whether they want to play a wind or percussion instrument for band or a string instrument for orchestra.... [tags: Orchestra, Musical instrument, Brass instrument]
987 words (2.8 pages)
- Symphonies have been an attractive idea since the 1500s. In our modern era, the concept of a youth symphony is not particularly common, but certainly feasible. By definition, a youth symphony orchestra must only consist of musicians who are younger than eighteen years of age. Four certain criteria must be met to be an authentic, immersive youth orchestra. The criteria that make a youth symphony authentic is the size of the orchestra, the quality of the music, the repertoires chosen, and the programs within the orchestra.... [tags: Orchestra, Brass instrument, Woodwind instrument]
1030 words (2.9 pages)
- Concert Assignment Part B On August 2, 2015 I attended Barge music Concerts where I had the chance to familiarize myself with masterworks series of two amazing composers. Antonio Vivaldi and his concerto for 4 violins and orchestra in B minor, RV 580 that were performed in three movements allegro, largo – larghetto and allegro. Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart and his concerto for Violin and Orchestra No. 3 in G Major, K. 216, that were preform in allegro, adagio, rondeau (allegro). And sinfonia concertante for violin, viola and orchestra in E-flat major, K.... [tags: Johann Sebastian Bach, Concerto]
720 words (2.1 pages)
- The National Association of Colleges and Employers statistics states that in 2012 60 percent of college graduates who partook in an internship received no less than one job offer. ( Matthew this is where I found this. You will need to cite it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. http://internships.fiu.edu/faculty-staff/benefits-internships/index.html) There are various advantages of internships, for example, acquiring real world experience, it exposes students to different fields, as well as it helps students build their professional network.... [tags: Police, Constable, Terre Haute, Indiana]
2435 words (7 pages)