Plato isn’t one for depth in Timaeus, but he vaguely states there was a battle against invaders and after Atlantis’ triumph the city falls in twenty-four hours from natural disasters (Plato). He doesn’t explain who the invaders were or if there were any possibilities for natural disasters to demolish an empire that stood for 9000 years prior of Timaeus being written. Fortunately, Plato wrote a second piece, Critias, to fill in most of the holes. Unfortunately, Plato never completed Critias.
Critias starts with a vivid description of Atlantis, similarly describing that of “volcanic island” (The Island). The war is stated to be against Athens and describes the “allotments” each ruler “received each one his own” (Plato). Then Poseidon is put in the picture and is said to “begat” five...
... middle of paper ...
...an numerals on Plato’s part, or mistake in translation on Plato’s work” (Writer873) is the cause of one extra zero.
"Atlantean Culture." Seachild: Culture of Atlantis. N.p., 2009. Web. 28 Mar. 2014.
"Atlantis Subplots: A Brief History of the Lost Continent." N.p., n.d. Web. 24 Mar. 2014.
Gerber, Judie, Dr. "Who Was Egerton Sykes?" Seachild: Egerton Sykes: British Intelligence Officer, Diplomat, Scholar. N.p., 2009. Web. 08 Apr. 2014.
"The Island." Atlantis. N.p., n.d. Web. 21 Mar. 2014.
Plato. "PLATO'S ISLAND OF ATLANTIS." ATLANTIS : The Lost Island | Greek Mythology. N.p., n.d. Web. 21 Mar. 2014.
"Sinking Atlantis The Fall of the Minoans." PBS. PBS, 9 May 2011. Web. 27 Mar. 2014.
Writer873. "Atlantis and Thera: The Theory That Thera Was the Lost City of Atlantis." Ancient Histroy Encyclopedia. N.p., 18 Jan. 2012. Web. 28 Mar. 2014.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Everyone has heard the bedtime story of the golden lost city of Atlantis. It has been a child’s dream to discover it for decades, maybe centuries. This city has often been compared to the Garden of Eden. The birth of this fairytale lies with the Greek philosopher, Plato. Atlantis was modernly made popular by writer and U.S. Congressman, Ignatius Donnelly, in 1882 (Martin 12). According to Greek mythological history, Atlantis was founded by the god Poseidon and ruled by Atlas, a descendant of Poseidon’s ten sons of five pairs of twins, thus, the name Atlantis and Atlantic Ocean (McMullen 28; Martin 9).... [tags: World History]
2229 words (6.4 pages)
- In making decisions about how to educate children, the way we see young adults and what we come to believe about them has a major influence on the curricular and educational choices we make for them. This paper builds on an earlier analysis of how the term ‘teen mother’ is discursively used to mark girls as ‘other’ by examining the effects of the discourse on curriculum decisions and social policy, namely the separation of pregnant and mothering teens into alternative and/or supplemental programs.... [tags: teen pregnancy, ]
1259 words (3.6 pages)
- Childbirth is biological, psychological, and natural activities by which the human species grow into its family cycle and childbirth also have a sexual tradition. Beyond the emotions and the various phases that it creates, childbirth has specific criteria to be met on both man and woman. Their union must be founded on the reciprocal love, the biological and psychological maturation, and a developed sense of responsibility. Because of this, a pregnancy occurred early in life is becoming a situation full of social, economical and psychological difficulties.... [tags: Teen Pregnancies]
1899 words (5.4 pages)
- Teen Violence is a big dilemma in today’s society. Violent behaviors usually start from family and peers, as well as teens observing it at there neighborhoods or communities. These behaviors are reinforced by what youth see on television, on the Internet, in video games, movies, music videos, and what they hear in their music. When children are disciplined with severe corporal punishment or verbal abuse, or when they are physically or sexually abused, or when they witness such behavior in their home, it is not surprising that they behave violently toward others.... [tags: Teen Violence]
515 words (1.5 pages)
- Did you know that 3 in 10 teen girls in the United States will get pregnant at least once before they turn 20 years old. (“Teen Pregnancy”). Or that most teenagers want to be pregnant before they are 20 years old. In 2009 approximately 410,00 teens aged 15-19 gave birth in the United States and the teen birth rate remains higher than other developing countries (“Pazol”). The most shocking news to many teens having kids is that childbearing cost the United States about 9 billion annually and that the national teen birth rate was 39.1 birth per 1,000 and 37% decrease from 61.8 per 1,000 lowest in all records (“Pazol”).... [tags: teen pregnancy essays]
1135 words (3.2 pages)
- As the end of my senior year came to a close this past spring my friends and I were talking about all the teen moms that have either dropped out of our school or have had a baby a little bit after graduating. We started counting, not thinking it would be that high. We stopped counting once we hit twenty out of four-hundred girls (MCHS). If we kept counting instead of twenty percent it would be greater for Marine City High School, which is one of many high schools in the area. One girl in particular dropped out to have her baby and was pregnant with her second child, and she herself was only seventeen years old.... [tags: social issues, teen mom]
1903 words (5.4 pages)
- The Atlantis resort is a casino and water park located on Paradise Island, The Bahamas. The resort officially opened in 1998, it’s Coral and Beach towers opened as the Trump Plaza. After the Royal towers were built the name of the resort changed to Atlantis. Later the Coral and Beach towers were refurbished to match the theme of the Royal towers. A 600-suite luxury hotel was opened on March 28, 2007, called The Cove Atlantis. The Reef Atlantis, another tower with 497 rooms, opened December 19, 2007.... [tags: Travel & Leisure]
967 words (2.8 pages)
- Story of Atlantis Plato was the first to mention the city of Atlantis around 300 BC. He was a Greek philosopher who had studied under Socrates in Greece. Plato gave detailed stories in the books Timeus and Critias about a land that was on the fringes of what we know as the Mediterranean Sea that occurred around 9,000 years from when it was written. Atlantis was said to be bigger than Libya and Asia combined. Critias was a book based on how Atlantis came to be and stories about Atlantis. Timeus was a book of teachings in which Plato wrote about morality.... [tags: Research Essays Papers]
485 words (1.4 pages)
- ATLANTIS Where is it. Atlantis was an ancient civilization which was destroyed in one massive explosion. Many people have searched for Atlantis but it has still not been found. According to Plato, a Greek philosopher, Atlantis was located in the Atlantic Ocean past the pillars of Hercules, the Strait of Gibraltar. Plato has been credited with many scientific discoveries, but Atlantis’s existence is still unproved. “Plato, one of the fathers of western thought, is out sole direct source for the legend of Atlantis.... [tags: essays research papers]
747 words (2.1 pages)
- “In 1991, a study by the United States Surgeon General’s office stated that 8 million out of the 20.7 million young people in grades 7 through 12 drank alcoholic beverages every week. It went on to say that 454,000 of those youngsters reported weekly binges (Claypool 21).” In the United States and all over the world underage teens are drinking, and it may be because they just don’t know about alcohol and its effects (Monroe 56). Underage or teen drinking is a major problem today that is increasing more and more, and something needs to be done to stop this increase and to control the number of underage drinkers.... [tags: Teen Drinking]
1852 words (5.3 pages)