Two different search methods were used to locate articles for this literature synthesis. Once I had determined that I would search for articles containing information related to HPV-HNSCC, I searched in both PubMed and Google Scholar, using the phrases, “HPV-associated head and neck cancer” and “‘Oropharyngeal cancer’ AND ‘HPV.’” In total, I located 21 articles that could potentially be used in this synthesis, 16 of which were eliminated because they were review articles, were too scientifically technical, or did not contain enough information about the risk factors or formation of HNSCC. In total, five articles were reviewed and analyzed for this paper.
To begin, HPV-positive and HPV-negative HNSCC have a variety of risk factors. HPV-negative cases generally are associated with high rates of smoking and alcohol use01,02,03,04,05 and with moderate ma...
... middle of paper ...
...ko, J. Kowalski, R.M. Hirata, J.R. Saunders, W.H. Westra, & S.I. Pai (2009). “Prognostic significance of human papillomavirus in oropharyngeal squamous cell carcinomas.” Laryngoscope, 119(08):1542–1549. Retrieved on 12 April 2012 from http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih. gov/pubmed/19522004.
04. Van Monsjou, H.S., M.L. Van Velthuysen, M.L. Van den Brekel, E.S. Jordanova, C.S. Melief, & A.J. Balm (2012). “Human papillomavirus status in young patients with head and neck squamous cell carcinoma.” International Journal of Cancer, 130(08):1806–1812. Retrieved on 12 April 2012 from http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih. gov/pubmed/21607949.
05. Wang, X.I., J. Thomas, & S. Zhang (2012). “Changing trends in human papillomavirus-associated head and neck squamous cell carcinoma.” Annals of Diagnostic Pathology, 16(01):07–12. Retrieved on 12 April 2012 from http:// www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22001331.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Head and Neck Squamous Cell Carcinoma (HNSCC) is the 8th and 13th most common malignancy in the world for males and females, respectively, with the majority of malignancies of the upper aero-digestive tract being oral squamous cell carcinomas (OSCC) (Warnakulasuriya, 2009; Scully and Bagan, 2009; Nicole et al., 2010). The highest incidence of OSCC is found in India due to the increased preponderance of habits like chewing tobacco, betel quid and areca-nut which are the most important risk factors (Facompre et al., 2012).... [tags: cancer, malignancies, chemotherapy]
1421 words (4.1 pages)
- Patient history Past medical history is notable for hematuria, hypertension, non-insulin dependent diabetes mellitus, Warthin’s tumor of left parotid, pleomorphic adenoma of right parotid, tubular adenoma and adenomatous polyps of the colon, thyroid disorder, tonsillectomy, pilonidal cyst and arthritis. Hospital course A 79 year old male presented with gross hematuria and palpable right kidney hydronephrosis. Ureteroscopy found blockage of the right ureter by a mass and biopsy revealed features consistent with papillary urothelial carcinoma favoring high grade.... [tags: Urothelial Carcinoma]
873 words (2.5 pages)
- Section One: Learning Theories Various learning theories are nested within my lessons, particularly in Drama and Dance subjects where both theoretical and practical aspects are embedded within one lesson. Firstly, Pavlov, Skinner and Thorndyke’s Behaviourist theory will be discussed (Fairclough 2008). Thorndyke’s experiment on animals (Avis et al, 2010) to encourage ‘learned’ behaviour was through a process of trial and error, rewarding animas with food if they were successful in their task. This taught them to purposefully behaviour in a certain way towards reaching successful goals and effectively being rewarded.... [tags: Enabling and Assessing Learning ]
2714 words (7.8 pages)
- RMSER Head Start (herein referred to as HS) is a federally funded preschool program that has been operating in Colorado for over 30 years (Rocky Mountain Service, Employment, Redevelopment website, n.d.). Unfortunately, HS has experienced a lot of issues in recent years that have proven to be very costly for the program. In 2011, the Federal Review Findings indicate numerous compliance issues with program governance and communication, as well as problems with accurate and timely reporting (Rocky Mountain Service, Employment, Redevelopment website, n.d.).... [tags: Poor Administration of Head Start]
2774 words (7.9 pages)
- ... A gender difference in the workplace has for a great period of time, been the subject of anti-discrimination laws and actions. This is particularly right of male-dominated industries such as business, firefighting, police, and even in the military. In an article produced by the University if San Francisco, it was stated, “Men and women have different communicative styles. Misinterpretation of these styles impacts the participation and input of both genders in the work environment…examine the relationship between…assertive, non-assertive, and aggressive communicative styles of men and women in work situations and the inhibition…of their participation…” (Anonymous, 2009).... [tags: Gender, Gender role, Communication]
709 words (2 pages)
- Small cell carcinoma of the bladder Epidemiology: Primary isolated small cell carcinoma of the bladder is a rare tumor comprising <1% of all bladder tumors. The incidence of small cell carcinoma has increased from 0.05% in 1991 to 0.14% in 2005 (51, 52). Population based database analyses delineates the demographics of this tumor, prognostic variables, and treatment trends (52). Small cell carcinoma is more common in white men over the age 73 years (ratio of Caucasians to non-Caucasians being 10:1; ratio of men to women being 3:1).... [tags: Chemotherapy, Cystectomy]
862 words (2.5 pages)
- The Head Start Program contributes to the successful learning of children in a major way. Head Start promotes healthy prenatal out comes, enhances the development of infants and toddlers, and promotes healthy family functioning. The children are giving a better chance to succeed in school and life. Therefore, the rate of human learning and development is in the early years. Head Start is a Federal funded, comprehensive child development program that has an overall goal to prepare children from low-income families for school (Administration for Children and Families).... [tags: Early Learning, education, Head Start]
624 words (1.8 pages)
- Basal Cell Carcinoma often abbreviated as (BCC) is the most frequently appearing form of skin cancer. They are also referred to as Basal Cell Cancer. It was discovered along the way as skin cancer was being treated as different types with no specific period. The BCCs’ are uncontrolled growths that normally arise in the skin’s basal cells. These cells lie in the deepest layer of the epidermis which is the outermost layer of the skin. BCC’s are normally caused by a combination of two things; one is cumulative UV exposure and the other is intense occasional UV exposure.... [tags: scaly lesion, skin cancer, uv exposure]
1407 words (4 pages)
- Assessing the Role of Education From the Functionalist Perspective Functionalists believe that education performs very important roles for individuals, the economy and the wider social structure. It provides secondary socialisation, passing on shared culture enables individuals to develop their potential and regulates their behaviour. Functionalists argue that education has three broad; socialisation where education helps to maintain society by socialising young people in to key cultural values, such as achievement, individualism, equality of opportunity, social solidarity and democracy.... [tags: Papers]
874 words (2.5 pages)
- "Head Hunters" was a great event, though it's easy to see why this "movie" failed to generate much excitement in its original run. A great photographer Curtis certainly was; a great cinematographer, not so much, even by the standards of that long-gone era. The screenplay, such as it was, is wooden, contrived, and makes insufficient and clumsy use of the rich ethnographic and mythic material available (and of which Curtis was well aware--in fact, the information recrded by him is itself of ethnographic and historical value).... [tags: Native American Head Hunters Film]
951 words (2.7 pages)