Diving has been around for over 400 years, and in that vast amount of years there have been great advances by British athletes and scientists to further the sport of diving by improving
and inventing new, and improved equipment. A few of these technological advances are the diving board, bubbler, and the trampoline. The diving board started off as just a long 2x6 piece
of wood hanging off of cliffs ranging from 10 to 50 feet above a lake or pool, this board had little to no bounce and made tricks of high difficulty almost impossible. In today’s day and age divers use new fiberglass boards that have large amounts of bend and spring which help launch a diver high up into the air to perform crazy never before seen tricks. This marvelous invention was made in 1960 so that divers could improve and do tricks with imm...
... middle of paper ...
...ibutors to the magnificent sport of diving. If it wasn’t for all of the British scientists, inventors, and publicists, this sport might not be what it is today, it might not be on reality TV shows or even in the Olympic Games.
Monkey. "Tom Daley Video Is the Perfect Springboard for ITV's Splash!" Theguardian.com. Guardian News and Media, 09 Dec. 2013. Web. 09 Dec. 2013.
"History of Diving | ISport.com." History of Diving | ISport.com. N.p., n.d. Web. 09 Dec. 2013.
"Fédération Internationale De Gymnastique : History of Trampoline Gymnastics." Fédération Internationale De Gymnastique : History of Trampoline Gymnastics. N.p., n.d. Web. 09 Dec. 2013.
"Trampoline History - Invention of the Trampolone." Trampoline History - Invention of the Trampolone. N.p., n.d. Web. 09 Dec. 2013.
"EdGate Summer Games." EdGate Summer Games. N.p., n.d. Web. 09 Dec. 2013.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- After two years of recreational diving I have learned some of the ins and outs of the dive community. Diving has become such an enjoyable experience for me that I have decided to make a career change and work towards my dream of being a commercial diver. Before making such a life altering decision, it is important to understand the differences between the two in order to further understand the depth of my decision. In this essay, I will compare portions of recreational diving to its equivalent in technical diving.... [tags: Diving]
1425 words (4.1 pages)
- Anything related to the Olympics sports in today’s modern era dates clear back to 776 BC; however, some sports that are in the twenty-first-century Olympic Games have only just started. A sport like diving reached the Olympic level in 1904 at the Summer Olympic Games. Both springboard and platform diving have had an interest in my life, since, indeed I am a diver myself. As diving had began to evolve from just a simple “swan dive” to a 109 B (Forward 4 and ½ somersaults, pike). Not only has the difficulty tremendously increased in this sport, but it has been one of the most watched sports in the Olympics games since it took off in 1904.... [tags: Olympic Games, Olympic History, Diving]
1029 words (2.9 pages)
- Scuba Diving Scuba diving is a really interesting and exciting activity to do if someone loves the ocean as much as I do. My boyfriend Justus and I traveled to the beautiful Florida Keys for a week and a half last summer. When we got to the keys we had already planned on going scuba diving. We bought our tickets before we even left the state of Indiana. We were both super excited to experience something we had never done before. The morning of our scuba diving trip we had to go meet our scuba diving instructor for him to go over rules.... [tags: Scuba diving, Underwater diving, Debut albums]
1193 words (3.4 pages)
- I remember when I went scuba diving for the first time. It was the summer of 2002. My Dad, his two friends Mark and Bob, and I went on a scuba diving trip to San Carlos, Mexico with a group of scuba divers from June 21st-29th. It was June 22nd, a beautiful day. The temperature was at about 90 degrees and it was very sunny. I was on big nice scuba diving boat along with the other eight divers on the trip and captain and co-captain. The boat was headed to an island about two hours away called "Seal Island"; it was called that because of all the sea lions that inhabit it.... [tags: Scuba diving, Underwater diving, Scuba set]
824 words (2.4 pages)
- The Butterfly Diving Bell sits on my bedside table . It was a busy day when I finished and I'm struggling with how to express my appreciation for the best of the author , Jean - Dominique Bauby . As a beautiful French dessert , each crafted wonderful phrases should be savored. Posted by Bauby bears a sense of humor combined with depression that required for reading and slow digestion . He must have been a Morrissey fan . For those who are not familiar with Mr. Bauby , he was a former general editor of Elle magazine Parisian version .... [tags: The Diving Bell and the Butterfly]
995 words (2.8 pages)
- Can you ever imagine yourself being homeless or penniless and having to dumpster dive. In the essay, “On Dumpster Diving”by Lars Eighner, he explains his experience in dumpster diving and what he has gone through, from getting sick to being successful. If I were Lars Eighner the location that I would have chosen to dumpster dive is Pleasanton because of the high percentage of wealthy people, low percentage of homeless people, and a strong chance of finding food. To begin, there is a high percentage of wealthy people who live in Pleasanton, which is why it is the perfect place to dumpster dive.... [tags: Poverty, Homelessness, Dumpster diving, Dumpster]
1235 words (3.5 pages)
- Diving is the sport of jumping or falling into water from a platform or springboard, usually while performing acrobatics. It is said that there are two categories of divers they 're those who perform with magnificent skill, grace, beauty, and courage then there is Greg Louganis. He was born in San Diego, California in 1960 was adopted by Peter and Frances Louganis as a young boy Greg faced a lot of obstacles. He had a very difficult relationship with his father who was abusive towards him in a physical way.... [tags: Olympic Games, Summer Olympic Games, Diving]
991 words (2.8 pages)
- For years, deep sea diving was primarily used for the research of marine organisms. Mechanics for scuba diving have improved greatly and became more available to the everyday thrill seekers. It has also become an interest to many people to learn and experience it as a recreational activity. Most of the people who dive without being certified or dive alone, face dangers that other trained divers are not subjected to. For example, diving alone is particularly dangerous as should an injury occur, nobody is there to assist.... [tags: Deep Sea Diving, Research, Marine Organisms]
1719 words (4.9 pages)
- Have you ever wondered what it would be like to swim with the fish and explore the underwater jungle that covers two-thirds of the earth's surface. I have always been interested in water activities; swimming, diving and skiing, and I felt that scuba was for me. My first dive took place while on a family vacation. I came across a dive shop offering introductory dives, which immediately caught my interest. After much convincing (my parents), with my solemn assurance that I would be careful, I was allowed to participate in a dive.... [tags: Scuba Diving Descriptive Process Essays]
4562 words (13 pages)
- Scuba diving is a sport in which you can lose yourself to the beauty of the underwater world and escape gravity for a short time. You can wander among kelp forests or swim with sleek noble sharks. You can find a fortune in Spanish ducats or lose yourself in the beauty of the underwater realm. Some may say though that diving is an extreme sport and that it is too risky for anyone, it's just for the wild hooligans. Scuba Diving is a safe and enjoyable hobby despite the small risk involved. Haven't you ever wondered what it was like to swim with the fish.... [tags: Art]
2206 words (6.3 pages)