Essay PreviewMore ↓
The International Society for Augmentative and Alternative Communication (ISAAC) and RESNA are organizations that aid individuals with technology needs to help enhance their communication. The ISAAC organization's purpose is to help improve the lives of children and adults who suffer from complex communication needs. Its mission is to promote the best possible communication needs to people who suffer severe communication problems. Its goal is to provide worldwide awareness about how AAC aides help individuals without speech. It’s a non-governmental organization which was formed during the year of 1983. Its members consist of individuals who use AAC, their families, and other people like doctors, therapists, researchers, and organizations that make communication aids. The second organization which is RESNA stands for Rehabilitation Engineering and Assistive Technology Society of North Atlantic. This organization's mission is to maximize the health and welfare of people with disabilities through technology. It is a non-profitable organization that was developed by engineers and students attending the Inter-Agency Conference on Rehabilitation Engineering. It was formed on August 1979 and it is dedicated to those involved in rehabilitation engineering. This organization helps design and develop technological solutions to problems encountered by people who have disabilities in functional areas like mobility, communication, hearing, vision, and cognition. These inventions help them live independently and integrate into society.
Two websites where you can purchase products for assistive communication technology are http://www.speechgeneratingdevices.com and http://www.dynavoxtech.com/products. The DynaVox Maestro was created for people who are unable to express their needs and opinions using speech, gestures, or body language. Its aim is to provide better communication as well as to help enhance language and literacy development and function. Another, product that aids in communication is the DynaVox Eyemax. The purpose of this product is to help individuals who can’t use touch or switching scanning communicate their needs through eye movement. It also helps individuals in the ALS, Parkinson’s, and MS populations. The ChatPC-4 product was designed to help individuals who mainly use symbols for communication. This product strengthens vocabulary and spelling by using symbols and pictures, and it displays synthesized and digitized speech output.
How to Cite this Page
"Argumentative and Alternative Communication." 123HelpMe.com. 17 Sep 2019
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Argumentative Essay Mediterranean school of business Introduction of French courses at MSB SMU or MSB is a Tunisian school of business that receives students from all around the word, and particularly French-speaking student. The Tunisian education system is actually based on French contrary to MSB, which is an English system. It will be profitable for MSB to offer French courses. However, it is beneficial to students as they are aiming international exchanges and dealing with diversity on campus.... [tags: Argumentative Essay, Mediterranean School]
1022 words (2.9 pages)
- Augmentative and alternative communication (AAC) provides a way for children with autism to communicate. According to DeBonis and Donohue (2008), AAC is a communication option for individuals who have difficulty or inability to express themselves verbally. Children with autism who display difficulty in social situations and verbal communication may benefit from AAC use. AAC systems provide a way for children with autism to communicate, enhance verbal language, and participate in social interaction.... [tags: autism, PECS, device educators]
1548 words (4.4 pages)
- Alternative Medicine $33.9 billion dollars are spent annually by American adults on the alternative medicine to visit alternative medicine providers, buy materials, and products (Pike, 2015). Can this medicine heal and relieve people’s pain. With the progress of the world, man discovered many ways for healing pain. There are three main types of medicine. First, a conventional, western, or orthodox medicine which is based on clinical trials and the health care providers are doctors. Second, a complementary medicine which is utilized beside the western medicine.... [tags: Alternative medicine, Medicine, Health care]
821 words (2.3 pages)
- Traditional medicine plays a vital role in health care, which is based on scientific researches, rigorous experiments and clinical practices (World Health Organization, 2000). With the growth of chronic diseases, ageing and the diversity pathogenic factors, the medical environment, and conditions have changed. In recent decades, modern scientific medicine was developed in the Western world, such as Europe and the United States, which considered complementary and alternative medicine (CAM) as normal treatment.... [tags: Medicine, Alternative medicine, Ayurveda, Health]
1520 words (4.3 pages)
- As every college student knows, the process of registering for class is daunting. State University students can especially relate at this time of year, the peak time for registering for spring classes. Finding classes that fit in between clubs, organizations, work schedules, family commitments, and other classes seems like an impossible task. Many students on college campuses across the nation are turning to online classes, a flexible alternative that allows students to juggle their busy schedules while keeping on track for graduation.... [tags: argumentative essay]
1946 words (5.6 pages)
- to the observations. Ideally, the social worker suggests alternative patterns of communication, describes interactions, and discusses the factors that reinforce the problem. During a discussion about these observations, the social worker may use reframing so that the family can understand their interactions in a different way. They may also use circular questioning. This method may help the family address the presenting problem and accomplish the goal because it is an opportunity to discuss a common interaction that they have not been able to resolve on their own.... [tags: Family, Grandparent, Marriage, Cousin]
1316 words (3.8 pages)
- Conventional medicine has been the norm since its conception. It was not until recently that alternative medicine has been on the rise as the trust level society puts in their primary healthcare providers has been on the steady decline. “Americans are less trusting of the medical profession than people in many other countries -- even though they often like their own doctor” (Norton, 2014). This has been evident in the fact that there are more people using complementary and/or alternative medicine (CAM) than in the previous years.... [tags: Medicine, Physician, Alternative medicine]
1277 words (3.6 pages)
- There are two sides to the issue of using cheaper labor in other countries. Some can argue that using cheap labor in developing countries constitutes exploitation. In some extreme cases, this is potentially true. For example, by making empty promises time after time, diamond cartel De Beers has repeatedly taken advantage of the lack of governmental regulations and communication in African nations. It could be argued that the developing countries house factories that not only use cheap (though market rate for the area) labor, but unfairly exploit employees.... [tags: Argumentative, Persuasive]
726 words (2.1 pages)
- Interpersonal communication is the most important kind of communication. It happens when two individuals are in a close proximity to each other, and they are able to provide immediate feedback to one another. IPC (interpersonal communication) is the way we express our thoughts, feelings, and ideas to the people around us. Interpersonal communication is something you need to do well as it affects many aspects of your life. Interpersonal communication is a learned skill that can be improved with knowledge and practice.... [tags: Communications]
1494 words (4.3 pages)
- What is communication. According to Hybel & Weaver (2004, p7) the terms ‘Communication’ which is interact with others to share information and beliefs, exchange ideas and feelings, make plans and solve problems. Sometimes this interaction is done interpersonally, in a team or small group, in a conference and sometimes through the media or via computer. We may say that communication consists of transmitting information from one people to another. Communication theory is explains the process of transmitting information, the form and structure of the information, the function and effects of the information.... [tags: Communication Definition Analysis Research paper]
1208 words (3.5 pages)
In my opinion I believe that people who devote their lives to finding different ways of communication are admirable because thanks to them people who cannot use their speech to communicate with others are able to communicate their needs through these ways. Without organizations who help AAC users there would be people who would not be able and communicate their needs which would make it a lot harder for individuals to understand them. Without these organizations people would not be aware of other communication methods. I think that these organizations are very beneficial to AAC users because they help families be more aware of how they can help out their loved ones. I think that the devices that are developed to make communication easier are fascinating because it makes communication a lot easier for the individual. They don’t have to go through much struggles to communicate their wants or thoughts they can communicate them just as simple as to an eye blink. A question that I have is if the organizations help with the purchase of the products needed for AAC users or if they have to buy them on their own.