For this debate the focus will be against tablets and laptops replacing textbooks in primary schools as it is widely considered to hinder learning and not enough pupils are taught to enjoy using books but more detail will be given later on.
The scope of the argument is this, in modern day schools technology is becoming more and more common place. From interactive whiteboards to electronic registers, technology is becoming something students see and interact with daily and this is across primary schools, secondary schools and colleges. Now there are obvious benefits to this but also large downsides which will be explained in detail below but the key part to this debate is the fact that the focus is on primary schools, so should 5 – 11 year olds be exposed to computers and tablets all day every day? Should children be steered clear of outdated and archaic fossils like textbooks or perhaps there are still benefits to the faithful printed textbook?
As stated earlier, there is a case against tablets and laptops replacing textbooks in schools for many reasons and it’s not because we are a society of technophobes who dislikes change, quite the opposite actually, the majority are big supporters of new technologies and whilst most won’t wait in a queue for 10 hours for the next IPhone, everybody enjoys seeing technology advancing and people getting to use it in businesses, everyday life and education but many still think that textbooks have a real use in education for ...
... middle of paper ...
... of body weight limit recommended by doctors. Tablets weigh a tiny fraction of that at 290 grams (Data from the Nexus 7).
In conclusion whilst there are many good and valid arguments for tablets/laptops replacing textbooks in primary schools they are fairly superficial in the grand scheme of things e.g. weight of textbooks causing back injuries but the same can be said of tablets which can cause Repetitive Strain Injuries, eyestrain, headaches, etc. But the end purpose of an educational tool is to aid in learning and understanding of the topics that are being taught and tablets do not help as much as textbooks, this has been stated my many people and proven again and again. Comprehension of written materials is key to learning and when tablets hinder that, how can we be expected to replace textbooks with a technologically superior yet educationally inferior product?
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- For instance, groups from the Notre Dame University, used iPads to collaborate and save files. After the seven week study some of the college students had used the tablets for textbooks and other uses that were not expected. Notre Dame University worked on projects using iPads to brainstorm and saved the results on an outline storage app called Dropbox. The group members can simply view the files without emailing (Woyke 1). The study’s original idea was to use the iPads as e-readers instead of regular textbooks (Wokye 1).... [tags: ipads, e-books, tablets, digital readers]
1817 words (5.2 pages)
- Laptops vs. Tablets As you are transitioning from high school to college you are faced with many arduous decisions. One of these dilemmas would be choosing what kind of technology you want to use at school: a laptop or a tablet. My opinion for you, as a high school student transitioning to college, would be to choose a laptop because they are superior to tablets in many ways. Imagine yourself in a college classroom writing an essay or making a power-point on your tablet. Suddenly, you attempt to save the assignment, and you get a notification that says you do not have any storage left to save the work you have slaved over to get finished.... [tags: High school, College, Solid-state drive]
755 words (2.2 pages)
- Innovation. convenience. capability. productivity. And immersion are perks that tablets would have over computers in the classroom yes. No, in fact it is quite the opposite. Computers have full desktop operating systems which are basically full operating systems such as Windows and OSX. (macs operating system) They can run full versions of programs efficiently. As well as that the actual components that are in computers can literally do more. A tablet is basically an extremely simplistic and dumbed down version of a computer except compared to a computer tablets are practically, and now pretty much outdated within potential productivity in the classroom.The reasons that computers should be... [tags: Operating system, Computer, Windows Vista]
864 words (2.5 pages)
- Dell, Hp, and Toshiba laptops are a few of the names known in the computer world. To choose the right brand of computer to satisfy your needs have always been the main point in the selection. Factors such as the amounts in memory and the longevity of battery life play a role when picking your computer. With a narrow focus on the needs for students, the factors to consider are the weight of the laptop; battery life; specifications; and price (Bloglines.com). Keeping these factors in mind during the selection process will help you find the ideal notebook.... [tags: Laptops, HP,]
1085 words (3.1 pages)
- It is often said that casualties are a major part of every war. What if this is an unnecessary step to winning in combat, that the number of casualties could be greatly limited to a smaller number. Today, hundreds of thousands of people in Joint Task Forces are putting their lives in danger in Afghanistan, Iraq and even the surrounding bodies of water for the greater good. The technique that is frequently used in combat, that dates back to the American Revolution, is called Guerrilla Warfare, and is fought by small teams of four to eight people; these small groups are called Special Forces.... [tags: Non-Conventional Warfare, Conventional Warfare, wa]
2289 words (6.5 pages)
- PERCEPTUAL INTERPRETATION OF THE EXPECTATIONS (OR BELIEFS) ABOUT THE PRODUCT ATTRIBUTES USE TO CREATE THE VALUE OF TOUCH SCREEN LAPTOPS Touch screen laptops are of a utilitarian value in general. Most of the products sold in this category are used for either work or school. There are 7 product attributes that have been associated with this product category. 1. Battery Life: This is a utilitarian attribute that effects how long one can use the laptop before needing to recharge it. Therefore, with a longer battery life, one can get more work accomplished without seeking a place to charge their laptop.... [tags: Personal computer, Laptop, Brand, Battery]
1129 words (3.2 pages)
- ... It is clear to us how wonderful and important these devices are. The way they can keep us connected with people on the other side of the world or even those we have never met is something no other tool in this world can do. It is as if we enter a big, new world through a small door. That is a lot of power inside a little machine, and we feel good about it. These days, we need this power for it changed our lives and it continues to do so. Now that we have grown so used to these devices, life seems harder without them.... [tags: phones, computers, tablets, laptops]
955 words (2.7 pages)
- Imagine buying a goat for $500 instead of buying a horse for $300, when you need to win a horse race. You can do more with a horse than a goat, but you spend more for the goat than the horse when you need to win a race. That is what this school is doing with iPads, they are spending too much money on iPads when they don't do as much as Windows Tablets that is better for education. Some people may think that just because iPads and Apple is more famous and more used that it is better.... [tags: ipads, tablets, windows, education]
657 words (1.9 pages)
- Advertisement 1 Source: MacBook Pro Advertisement-Refreshed MacBook Pro Lineup Lealod 2. www.news.softpedia.com In geographic segmentation, the MacBook Pro can be used in all types of conditions and makes the consumers to purchase it through the consumers’ needs. For example, MacBook Pro is designed to adopt in tropical, cold and warm regions of the world (Lamb, Hair, and McDaniel 2014, 129). In demographic segmentation, Generation Y and Millennial are the group of people that always buy new products.... [tags: advertisement, Apple and HP]
1962 words (5.6 pages)
- As more people began to access the Internet through smart phones and tablets rather than laptops and computers, it is not a surprise that they would also want to transform the American education system by bringing tablets into classrooms. In fact, a few schools around the country have already replaced textbooks with tablets and have seen improvements in students’ standardized test scores. Using tablets instead of textbooks is not only convenient and helpful, but it can also reduce the amount of paper wastes in school.... [tags: technology, laptop computers, education]
1009 words (2.9 pages)
- The Most Important Invention Of The Human History
- Communication Through The Virtual Learning Setting
- Technology Has An Impact On Children
- Graduation Speech : How My New Degree Can Benefit Me Financially, And The Federal Levels
- The Wider Benefits Of Higher Education
- Science Of Dentistry At Tufts University