Are GMOs truly safe or a health risk. In the article, " GMOs: Friend or Foe?" The Author Allison Young further talks about whether GMOs are risky or safe. She first goes on, on telling us what GMOs are and what it stands for. For example, "GMO stands for genetically modified organism. It means splicing genetic material from one organism -- say, a plant, animal, bacteria or virus -- and transferring it to the mother" (46-50). She further talks about how the U.S. does not require mandatory testing and labeling of GMOs. Also, that this is a new science and with any new science, there are things that are unknown. That we should tread carefully because the health concerns are unknown in the long run. In the article, she also writes what Amy Dean a physician specialized in internal medicine said "One of the concerns is that the overall rise in chronic disease is associated with the GMOs"(Young 46-50). And also how Dean worries about the increasing number of autoimmune disease cases. Such as, arthritis, multiple sclerosis and many other diseases. Dean says that the immune system is set up to fight off unwelcome guest, and the proteins created by G...
... middle of paper ...
...fare. “I’d said [my lab] had data consistent with the Zhang paper, and they wanted to ‘help me with experiments’ because I had results that were in conflict with their results,” Vance told a reporter for the Boulder Weekly. “I was really surprised that Monsanto took the time and effort to try to squash my research ... I’m a little old lady running a little lab in South Carolina.” (Koberstein 48-51).
Genetically modifying food must stop before more harmful risks arise. GMOs are unsafe, they are a new science where people do not know the overall risks for the future. If people would like to steer away from GMOs try to eat more organically. Also look out for GMO labeling it would usually say NON-GMO Project verified or USDA Certified Organic. People could also avoid corn, soy, or canola products that don’t have labels. Try to avoid as much processed foods as you can.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Are GMO 's (Genetically Modified Organisms) truly safe or are they harmful to people 's health. The GMO debate has gone on for quite some time. GMO 's is done by splicing genetic material from one organism and transferring it to the mother. The altered DNA imbues the organism with a useful trait. Such as more vitamin or proteins or even making crops resistant to pest, diseases and herbicides. Genetically modifying food must stop before more harmful risks arise. GMO 's are an unsafe risk, they have several drawbacks, and GMO Companies are attacking scientists who disputes the safety in them.... [tags: Genetically modified organism]
1020 words (2.9 pages)
- Introduction Recently, there has been a huge uprise in reports from all over the world of new diseases that have affected much of the population today. Diseases such as obesity, Alzheimer’s, Celiac Disease, Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), and so much more have been on the rise. Researchers have suspected the culprit of these diseases to be our food. Along with the diseases, Genetically Modified Organisms (GMO) has also been on the rise. The more poor food we eat, the greater the potential harm to our health.... [tags: Genetically Modified Organisms]
2762 words (7.9 pages)
- The social issue I have chosen to write about is genetically modified organisms (GMO’s). This social issue has a lot of controversy. I had little knowledge of this issue until recently. Last September when by brother was diagnosed with acute myeloid leukemia is when this social issue became important in my lifestyle. I was unware of the hazards of consuming genetically modified foods. To first understand the social issue of GMO’s we must first understand what GMO’s are. “Genetically modified organisms, or GMOs, are foods that have been altered to produce a desired effect meant to benefit people in some way.” (Asaff, 2016).... [tags: Genetically modified organism]
1416 words (4 pages)
- Say No To GMOs In grocery stores, there are multiple options on what type of food to buy. There are organic, locally grown, food with genetically modified organisms (GMO) in it, and GMO free. Out of these options, only one of them is actually pesticide and chemical free. This option would be organic foods. Because of the growing need for cheaper, more affordable food scientists have turned to growing fruits and vegetables that require less attention, grow faster, and are cheaper to grow. In the process of trying to create plants like this, scientists turned to using chemicals and altering the DNA in plants.... [tags: Genetically modified organism]
1008 words (2.9 pages)
- GMO’s and Development in Africa There has been a great deal of controversy over the use of genetically modified organisms (GMO’s). There are articles such as Feeding the World without GMOs by Emily Cassidy, A Green Revolution for Africa by David Rieff, and many more that discuss the use of GMOs and how they may or may not be beneficial in the fight to end hunger in countries such as Africa. GMO seeds are seeds that have their genetic makeup modified in a laboratory setting by inserting genes from another species.... [tags: Genetically modified organism]
1142 words (3.3 pages)
- What are Genetically Modified Organisms or GMO’s. According to Resposibletechnology.org, GMO’s is the “result of a laboratory process where genes from the DNA of one species are extracted and artificially forced into the genes of an unrelated plant or animal. The foreign genes may come from bacteria, viruses, insects, animals or even humans.” GMO’s are inserted to our food to make them grow faster, either make new species containing more nutrients, resist insects or require less water so it grows in drought stricken areas.... [tags: Genetically modified organism]
1010 words (2.9 pages)
- Do you ever look at your food and wonder what is really in it. If you are questioning your food then you may be consuming Genetically Modified Organisms (GMO’s). Genetically Modified Organisms (GMO’s) are organisms whose genetic material has been altered by means of genetic engineering. People all around have different opinions towards GMOs. For example,the president of Zambia refused international food aid regarding the fact that majority of his country is starving. He refused to accept the food because the food is genetically modified and he does not know the effect that it would have on them.... [tags: Genetically modified food]
2309 words (6.6 pages)
- Over the last two decades Genetically Modified Organisms (GMO) have dominated the supply of nearly every single store that sells some form of food in America. GMO 's are living organisms whose genetic material has been artificially manipulated in a laboratory through genetic engineering, or GE. This relatively new science creates unstable combinations of plant, animal, bacteria and viral genes that do not occur in nature or through traditional crossbreeding methods (GMO Facts). While the companies that produce these GMO 's claim they offer many benefits, the risks to our health and our environment are tremendous.... [tags: Genetically modified food]
1438 words (4.1 pages)
- Genetically Modified Organisms (GMO) is an organism, such as a plant, animal, or any microorganism who’s had its DNA changed in different ways through genetic engineering that is not natural. It is an organism like every other organism, which produces thousands of proteins, but one or two of them are proteins that were chosen were specifically by humans. It creates unstable combinations of plants, animal, bacterial, and viral genes that do not occur in nature or through traditional crossbreeding methods.... [tags: Genetically modified food]
1264 words (3.6 pages)
- Naively, we human beings believe we live in the dazzling golden age of technological advancements. Only, news flash: we’re not. Global food insecurity is at an all-time high. We’re struggling to feed a population that rises as quickly as the mercury in my thermometer. As demand soars and food dwindles, the men in power only seem to grow in size: from their wallets to their waistlines. So, you must ask yourself: what’s the easiest way to produce high quality crops to satisfy our hunger and their lust for money and power.... [tags: Genetically modified food]
1023 words (2.9 pages)
- Major Depressive Disorder And Borderline Personality Disorder
- Article Analysis : No Consent Is Not Like Drinking Tea
- Service Delivery Is The Best Option Because It Provides High Speed Fiber Network Solution
- The Political View Of Environmentalism, And The Christian View On The Environment
- Leaving Home Is Not Just Determination
- The Effects Of Alcohol Abuse On Children