In the words of Wayne Dyer “Freedom means you are unobstructed in living your life as you choose. Anything less is a form of slavery” (Brainy Quote). Today there are millions of modern day slaves all around the world of human trafficking. Some countries are more troubled with this problem than others, and it’s often accompanied with other crimes. There have been undertakings done to prevent and stop human trafficking, but 20 million men, women, and children all over the world still suffer from being sex slaves (Joseph 1). Programs do exist to prevent and put an end to human trafficking, but their actions alone are simply not enough. Therefore, anti-trafficking initiatives are failing to identify and help their victims.
“Human trafficking coerces and persuades their victims to cross national borders in search of new jobs and better opportunities and after that they are forced into some sort of labor bondage” (At Issue: Human Trafficking 1). Even though trafficking is a problem in almost every country; poorer countries have a bigger problem with it because they are more desperate for work. Just in 2000, the U.S. enacted their first federal anti-trafficking law, called the Victims of Trafficking Protection Act (At Issue: Human Trafficking 1). Trafficking has just begun to receive notice on how big of a problem it actually is. “Proponents of strict anti-trafficking initiatives say that laws and prevention against trafficking are necessary in order to stem the growing tide of large scale organized crime that profits off of smuggling and trafficking” (At Issue: Human Trafficking 1).
Many organizations and programs are working to stop human trafficking and its insubordinate criminals. Organizations, such as the United Nations Conven...
... middle of paper ...
...they may not have any other way to support themselves or their families (Fabiola 2). If there were better prevention programs that would educate people about how to avoid situations of being fooled into false opportunities maybe a lot these dilemmas within the those programs could be averted.
BrainyQuote. Xplore, n.d. Web. 25 Nov. 2013.
Joseph, Sharon Simpson. "Research Crucial to Save Children." Atlanta Journal-Constitution. 18 Jan 2013: A.16. SIRS Issues Researcher. Web. 22 Nov 2013.
Ortiz, Fabiola. "Brazil: Lagging in Fight Against Human Trafficking." Global Information Network. 20 May 2013: n.p. SIRS Issues Researcher. Web. 22 Nov 2013.
"Street Life, Street Death." Economist. 06 Nov 2010: 58. SIRS Issues Researcher. Web. 22 Nov 2013.
Thrupkaew, Noy. "Beyond Rescue." Nation. 26 Oct 2009: 21-24. SIRS Issues Researcher. Web. 22 Nov 2013.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Over the last 5-10 years the healthcare system has begun reformation to increase safety, efficiency, cost reduction, increasing continuum of care, and increases in information technology (IT). There are many influences that are creating this need for change including laws, regulations, and the consumers of the healthcare system. The consumer is beginning to take charge of their health and become an advocate of their healthcare needs and plans of action. This transformation has created a greater need for the healthcare system to increase the use of health management information system (HMIS).... [tags: Health Reform Initiatives]
3072 words (8.8 pages)
- Various initiatives undertaken by Ministry of Education in effort to help students with economic disadvantaged, SEDs get education opportunity that equals to other students. Realizing that education is major nation's asset that generates success of the nation to compete with other developed country, several initiatives executed by Ministry of Education. In year 2009, a sum of RM 3.406 billion allotted to Ministry of Education to various types of assistance to students from less well-off group and low income.... [tags: Education, Economy, Nutrition]
1002 words (2.9 pages)
- The book, ‘Alone in the Mainstream,’ is a collection of interviews spliced together thematically with parallels to the author 's life. It covers everything from Teachers, good and bad, to friends, bullies, classes and all other parts of growing up. The common theme gluing them all together is not solitude as the book states, but difference felt by the interviewee or the author. Several of the sections, namely the ones about great teachers and great friends, show that deaf people are not alone, but that their experience is vastly different.... [tags: Hearing impairment, Deaf culture]
1070 words (3.1 pages)
- ... Analytics provide insights on progress to quota-carrying sales people in creating plan, the quality of leads and opportunities, liabilities, and the growth potential of accounts or prospects. Similarly, analyses of information extracted from various systems can be leveraged to enable sales management better prepare and direct sales actions. Let 's take a look at the following requirement and benefits mapping example on how sales analytics for an application offers quality and value for field sales, inside sales, partners as well as management.... [tags: Sales, Sales management, Management]
762 words (2.2 pages)
- ... Leaders must identify barriers first and not only act on one issue at a time, they must build a plan that will solve the issues from the roots. One tool that is helping to identify barriers in the health care setting is BIM. “This tool is intended to aid quality and safety improvement efforts by identifying and removing or mitigating barriers to guideline compliance or the reliable use of evidence-based therapies”. Identify at least three barriers that impede an organization’s ability to adopt innovative practices and processes.... [tags: Innovation, Management, Diffusion of innovations]
707 words (2 pages)
- ... Likewise, more general arguments such as issues of funding, teacher support of the system, and teacher participation in the development and implementation of the system have contributed to the opposing argument (Desander, 2000). Furthermore, evidence shows that merit pay can be distributed too liberally, resulting in the misallocation of funds for less than quality teachers (Manzeske, Garland, Williams, & West, 2016). Interestingly enough, Manzeske et al. (2016) also found that when teachers did receive merit pay as a result of their evaluations, the increase did not result in improvements in student achievement.... [tags: Education, Teacher, School, History of education]
1076 words (3.1 pages)
- Can't Help Falling in Love Wise men say only fools rush in/ but I can't help falling in love with you/ Shall I stay/ would it be a sin/If I can't help falling in love with you/ Like a river flows surely to the sea/ Darling so it goes/ some things are meant to be/ take my hand, take my whole life too/ for I can't help falling in love with you/ Like a river flows surely to the sea/ Darling so it goes/ some things are meant to be/ take my hand, take my whole life too/ for I can't help falling in love with you/ for I can't help falling in love with you –Elvis Presley (1) Elvis may have been wise before his time, because research has found out that you cannot "help falling in love".... [tags: Music Romance Elvis Presley Essays]
1962 words (5.6 pages)
- Strategy Development and Initiatives 1) The history, development, and growth of the company over time ================================================================ In 1987, Andrew Young and Dick England established Kleenmaid a 100 % private owned Australian company. The companies main business is to import, manufacture and distribution of high-quality white goods appliances like cook tops, ovens, dishwashers, refrigerators and washing machines. In 1995, Kleenmaid shifted from a wholesale business to direct retailing, to provide customers a store with fully operational appliances where possible purchasers could use the washing machines or cook everything possible with the help of applian... [tags: Business and Management Studies]
2959 words (8.5 pages)
- The Identify The problem The End User The Company is called Vesco and has 13 stores round the UK. The manager from one of their London stores has asked me to do the following for his supermarket only. The Problem A company called food on the go are their home delivery company. The manager of Vesco has asked me to make invoices for the “food on the go” company and their customers. The manager of Vesco called Dean Smith said that their old way of billing people was very slow. What they did was they would send an employee around the supermarket to get each item that has been ordered and would have to add up the prices at the end.... [tags: Business and Management Studies]
2544 words (7.3 pages)
- Failing Schools Almost 90 percent of American students below the college level attend public institutions, which are funded by local and state taxes, not tuition. Most of those children who do not attend these public institutions, attend private schools of which close to 80 percent are religiously affiliated (USIA Chapter 6). Other educational possibilities include private schooling which is not religious or home schooling. Because only military academies are run by government officials, the US government only guides the public school systems as to what they should do about funding (USIA Chapter 6).... [tags: essays papers]
2943 words (8.4 pages)