The government is constantly talking about how literacy is important and we need to keep on reading, but by banning our books they aren't doing a very well done job on encouraging it. Thurgood Marshall Elementary School in the Chula Vista School District is always trying to get students to read more and more. They have a system where they give students a certain level and they are able to read any book within that level. Then they are gi...
... middle of paper ...
... think that it’s a book about the color grey. This would help the government encourage literacy better, and fully protect children like they wanted in the first place. In order to avoid breaking the first amendment they would just have to overall not ban any religious books. Besides what good does banning books does for everyone? Nothing really, therefore the board of education needs to learn how to approve over taboo.
Gathambiri, Anthony. "The Dying Culture of Reading." Sanibonani: The Dying Culture of Reading. N.p., 13 Jan. 2011. Web. 22 May 2014.
Madison, James. "The Bill Of Rights." The Constitution. Founding Fathers, 28 Sept. 1789. Web. 19 May 2014.
Rosen, Michael. "The Government Should Do More to Encourage Reading for Pleasure."
Tomiak, Julia. "Why Banning Books Is A Bad Idea." Diary of a Word Nerd. N.p., 27 Sept. 2013. Web. 19 May 2014.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- When young adults were turning 20 years old they were starting to look for a partner to settle down with. Nancy talked about how men were expected to follow their father 's career footsteps, or serve their country. Most 20 year olds had were in serious relations or getting married to start a new life and family. Nancy was planning on getting married, “When I was 20 years old in 1962 I was engaged to be married”. Many of her friends were also starting families and working. When Ralph was 20, he told me “I was expected to either go get a job or enlist in the military, I joined the Marines out of highschool”.... [tags: Race, Family, Vietnam War, High school]
1992 words (5.7 pages)
- Every summer, thousands of young adult’s head to the Jersey shore to take part in the East Coast rite of passage, in which a group of people will come together and share a house for the summer. In 2009 a new reality show called The Jersey shore first aired, on the MTV network. There were eight Italian American cast members who came together for the summer to live and work in Seaside Heights, the show was based on real world-type situations, and as any other reality show, it features a lot of absurd, immature behavior, a festivity of party-culture, anti-intellectualism, and capitulation to the pornification of American culture.... [tags: Sociology, Deviance, Sociological terms, Taboo]
829 words (2.4 pages)
- Cannibalism is has always been a taboo topic in western culture. Most people are familiar with the concepts of cannibalism because of movies like Silence of the Lambs, Fried Green Tomatoes, The Rocky Horror Picture Show, and many others. However, very few people understand the truth and the definitions behind what cannibalism really is and the reasons its done. When most people consider the topic of Cannibalism it is typically thought of as a non-western practice. People are generally willing to exploit the practice in media until it hits closer to home.... [tags: taboo, culture, prehistoric, natives]
2121 words (6.1 pages)
- Sex is an important yet taboo aspect of life, there are certain aspects about it that need to be discussed that people just are not comfortable discussing because of the taboos that follow sex. One of the most important issues regarding sex is what makes it permissible, is consent enough or is there something more needed. People have been pondering this conundrum for decades and now err towards the side of caution and have made laws and policies much more stringent concerning legal, legitimate sex.... [tags: Sexual intercourse, Human sexual behavior, Rape]
1997 words (5.7 pages)
- ... According to Keown, one of such example is the persistent vegetative state (PVS), the case of Nancy Cruzan and Tony Bland where after an accident both were in PVS condition. This is an unconscious state in which there is no possibility of recovery, and the patient has to live on the life support system till the end of their life. In these circumstances the parents and family have to bear the expenses of life support system, the parents asked the court that they cannot afford the expenses. This created a problem as such decision cannot be taken to take a human life.... [tags: the right to die]
1803 words (5.2 pages)
- Adrienne Rich was a very critically acclaimed and widely read poet of her era. Ms. Rich was a rebellious pioneer in expressing her viewpoints through her poetry in what was considered highly taboo topics of her time, such as, politics, lesbianism, and feminism. Adrienne Rich was born on May 16, 1929 in Baltimore, Maryland. Her father was renowned pathologist at John Hopkins University, Dr. Arnold Rich, and her mother Helen Elizabeth Rich, was a concert pianist and composer. Adrienne began writing at a very early age, with the encouragement of her father.... [tags: Poetry Analysis ]
1691 words (4.8 pages)
- From the moment we were born, our body and society have separated us into either male or female for us for the rest of our life. Some people appreciate it and life happy with his/her body while some people hate it and want to change into the opposite sex. Some culture believe that sexuality is a taboo and should not be talk about openly while some culture feel more comfortable to talk about it freely. I came from Hong Kong which is a country that believes that males are more valuable than females.... [tags: Gender, Sex, Male, Female]
1094 words (3.1 pages)
- Followers and Taboo Language The 500 tweets from those accounts with the most followers, and those with the least followers, were collected, and put into Wordsmith to generate two separate word frequency lists, one of words used by Twitter users with the most followers, and one of words used by Twitter users with a very low number of followers. These word lists were then pared down to show only the taboo lexical items searched for in the original sample (derived from Thelwall 2008), allowing for a more direct comparison of the taboo lexical items used by those tweeting to a large audience, and those tweeting to a smaller audience.... [tags: Fuck, Profanity, Cunt, Motherfucker]
1631 words (4.7 pages)
- Tennessee Williams is known for his ability to portray the unspeakable and force people to face their disputes in the most artful form. He is clearly a professional at one-upping everyday problems, but there are many different reasons why Williams decided to expose these real life issues to not only America, but the world. “A playwright is concerned, as an artist, to present a slice of life or of human experience.” (Reid 440). Many of his works are rumored to be based off of actual experiences, and yet some believe his work is immoral.... [tags: poet, maggie, unspeakable]
535 words (1.5 pages)
- <a href="http://www.geocities.com/vaksam/">Sam Vaknin's Psychology, Philosophy, Economics and Foreign Affairs Web Sites Incest is not such a clear-cut matter as it has been made out to be over millennia of taboos. Many participants claim to have enjoyed the act and its physical and emotional consequences. It is often the result of seduction. In some cases, two consenting and fully informed adults are involved. Many types of relationships, which are defined as incestuous, are between genetically unrelated parties (a stepfather and a daughter), or between fictive kin or between classificatory kin (that belong to the same matriline or patriline).... [tags: essays research papers]
1484 words (4.2 pages)