Application to Infection and Immunity MSc Program
I began high school in 2003. Like every other student I aimed for the so called high and prominent careers and my first choice was Medicine while my second choice was nursing. This led me to volunteer in a hospital immediately after High school but after the results were out I did not qualify for the Medicine program as a government sponsored student instead, I was selected for the General Science program. I did not know what the program entailed when I enrolled in the university but I embraced it positively and settled on making it work for me. I did my research on people who had previously gone through the same program and were successful and from the findings I chose those who were accessible and made them my mentors. Through interacting with them I gained knowledge from their experiences and I came to learn of a different perspective of medicine that of biomedical research. Today I look at General Science as the best thing destiny brought my way.
My interests in science have grown and that has been the foundation of my academic success. From General Science I chose the option of biological sciences and from biological sciences I chose Zoology and biochemistry. I will be graduating in December 2013 with a First class honors in Bachelor of Science with a major in Zoology and a minor in Biochemistry. I have developed a thorough understanding of General Science, what it entails and its career prospect giving me enough reason to want to pursue it further. My ultimate academic goal is to earn a Ph.D. in infectious diseases, a masters course will help me explore and narrow down my interests on the area of infectious diseases i will study in depth.
As a general scie...
... middle of paper ...
...ork mainly in hospitals as a way to give back to the society. All these experiences have moulded me to be a well rounded person and therefore I plan to continue my involvement in extra-curricular activities as I pursue further studies.
As far as long-term plans, I hope to venture in the unexploited area of Tungiasis and contribute to adding knowledge on the disease and developing control measures. A masters in Infection and Immunity will not only help me advance my career but it will help me be part of the solution to heath problems in the world It will remain relevant to me more importantly because I am a citizen of Kenya-a developing country where infectious diseases have great impact on the social, medical and economic aspects of life because they affect both humans and animals. It places me in a better position to achieve my goals while reaching out to people.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- IMMUNITY TO PARASITES AND APOPTOSIS. Humoral and cellular immunity are the two sides of immunity turn on during parasitic infections and ideally are aimed to fight infection. However, in some cases immunity to parasites can exacerbate the disease and induce tissue injury. Cellular Immunity Animal models have been most useful to better understand mechanisms of immunity to parasites. Athymic mice that lack T cells are unable to control several parasite infections. This clearly indicates that T cells play an important role during the development of these infections (39,40).... [tags: Biology, Cellular Immunity]
1925 words (5.5 pages)
- Cross-infection or co-infection has been reported in human populations (Gimenes et al., 2014). Most studies showed the co-infection in the same tissue tropism such as oral and anogenital cross infection (Liu et al., 2015). Some case studies reported the cross-tissue infection by same HPV types (Choi & Lee, 2016; Paolini et al., 2015; Torres et al., 2015). Gamma HPV types were detected in both cutaneous and mucosal tissues indicating a dual-tropism of HPV may exist (Bolatti et al., 2016; Ostrbenk et al., 2015; Torres et al., 2015).... [tags: Immune system, Infection, Infectious disease]
1122 words (3.2 pages)
- The most significant experience I have had in my life was coming to the United States without speaking much English, going to school, and earning the Bachelor’s degree. Living in a foreign country and going to school was very challenging, especially when I was a self-supporting student working and attending classes at the same time. I achieved it by my motivation, discipline, and flexibility, as well as the emotional supports from family and friends. Throughout the experience of living in the U.S., I have learned important aspect of life, extended understanding and respect toward other cultures, and matured greatly as a person, which I could never be accomplished if I stayed in Japan.... [tags: Admissions Essays, Application Essay]
1089 words (3.1 pages)
- In March, my PSYC class was presented with a challenge - to identify a personal improvement goal and to address this issue using an Immunity to Change map. My lengthy list of personal struggles was quickly narrowed down to one item with focused reflection. My improvement goal was to engage in productive thoughts and behaviors that would provide better time management practices. I was initially looking to improve my behaviors at home so that it would translate into success in all areas of my life including my career.... [tags: Immunity Change Map]
2746 words (7.8 pages)
- Striving for perfection is a natural force, which has led mankind to its present state of advancement. Perfection, for me, means enhancing my knowledge in specific field of interest which will enable me to contribute to the advancement of society in general and to deeper understanding of my field in particular. It is with these objectives in mind that I wish to pursue the Ph.D. program in Operations and Supply Chain Management (OSM) at Texas A&M University (TAMU). Following undergraduate studies in industrial engineering at Seoul National University, I applied my knowledge as an air force officer of the Republic of Korea.... [tags: perfection, engineering, research, program]
865 words (2.5 pages)
- Establishing an infection program requires remarkable resources, however, healthcare professionals have a critical role in maintaining an effective infection prevention program, which not only provides high- quality of care to the patients but also develops safety skills among health care workers. The following are the elements of infection control program; Organization of infection prevention and control (ICP) program • Development of policy and strategies to prevent infections • Human resources • Technical guidelines • Budget Each health care organization should have infection prevention and control program, where all the necessary resources such as qualified and dedicated staff, infrast... [tags: Health care, Health care provider, Public health]
730 words (2.1 pages)
- 4. DISCUSSION In this study, the CRPV/HLA-A2.1 transgenic rabbit model was used to assess the protective immunity generated by DNA vaccines delivered using the gene gun, the tattoo gun or the microneedle system. The focus was to determine whether the tattoo gun and the microneedle delivery systems were useful DNA vaccination alternatives to the gene gun. Our laboratory has successfully utilized the gene gun in our DNA vaccination studies for both protective and therapeutic purposes (17,34). However, the gene gun system is costly and we are constantly looking for alternatives to back up our vaccine development program.... [tags: Vaccination, Vaccine, DNA vaccination]
762 words (2.2 pages)
- The product that this company will be providing is a software application that can be placed on your mobile device in addition to being able to be accessed online. Users will download the application from our website directly allowing for them to select the application that fits their needs. For the first product line we will be targeting provincial meat processing plants. This product line will allow for the users to easily complete government required paperwork. There will be three versions of this software.... [tags: System software, Application software]
1573 words (4.5 pages)
- Abstract A urinary tract infection is a very common infection that can happen to anybody. A urinary tract infection usually occurs when bacteria enters the urethra and multiples in the urinary system. The Urinary tract includes the kidneys, the thin tubes that carry urine from the kidneys to the bladder (ureters), and the main tube that carries the urine from the bladder (urethra). Women, men, and children are all immune to this infection. Women have the highest chances of getting it. In the Urinary tract, the main links of the ureters help get rid of any bacteria that tries to enter the urine, and the bladder helps prevent urine from backing up into the kidneys.... [tags: Urine, Urinary tract infection, Kidney]
1251 words (3.6 pages)
- Supporting Statement. Please read the further particulars for the post before completing this section: these will describe the sort of skills, experience, knowledge, or abilities which are required (the ‘selection criteria’). Your skills and experience may have been gained though paid employment, voluntary/community work, domestic responsibilities, spare-time activities, and training. Your application will be judged solely on the basis of how your skills and experiences match the requirements for the post.... [tags: Job Application]
1305 words (3.7 pages)
- Formal Education and the Author on Scout's Teachers
- Differentiation Strategies Used by BMW
- Pros and Cons of Home Schooling
- Data Collection Analysis: Interview with Brigadier General Wilma L. Vaught and Lieutenant Connell Marilla Cushman
- Mississippi History and How It Has Made It Today
- Wikileaks the New Fourth Estate