The instructions are fairly simple for downloading the updates:
Click Control panel System and Security Windows Updates Change Settings then select an option to determine how Windows downloads and install security and other updates for the operating system.
Now when it comes to antivirus, a better anti-virus include hardened firewall component. A firewall is essential to protecting your computer from breaches and intrusions, as it limits access to your computer while connected to the Internet or a network. For most users, default firewall setting should suffice at keeping your PC 's hard drive and data free from prying eyes. If your anti-virus application does not include a firewall, Windows has ...
... middle of paper ...
...est version will help considerably in avoiding phishing or malicious websites. When visiting any website that requests your personal information, look for the padlock icon in the lower-right corner or the address bar of the browser window. If you don 't see the padlock icon, don 't enter any information that could identify you.
6. Do not share too much: While social media networks such as Facebook, Google+ and Twitter allow you to communicate and share with friends and family, they are also prime targets for hackers and others that may want to steal your personal information. Consequently, you need to be careful about what type of information you share on social networks and with whom you share it. Perceptive hackers and criminals can quickly piece together your information from your social media profile and posts and gather information needed to steal your identity.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- 1 System Software: The system software is installed on your device when you installed your current operating system. You can update the software by running programs such as "Windows Update" for Windows or "Software Update" for Mac OS X. Unlike application programs, however, system software is not meant to be run by the end user. For example, while you might use your Web browser every day, you probably have nothing to make much use of an assembler program (unless, of course, you are a computer programmer).... [tags: Operating system, Microsoft, Microsoft Windows]
859 words (2.5 pages)
- Introduction “An operating system (OS) is system software that manages computer hardware and software resources and provides common services for computer programs. The operating system is a component of the system software in a computer system. Application programs usually require an operating system to function” ("Operating System"). The operating system is the central program on any computer. The operating systems is essential because it runs the other programs and applications. “Operating systems perform basic tasks, such as recognizing input from the keyboard, sending output to the display screen, keeping track of files and directories on the disk, and controlling peripheral devices such... [tags: Operating system, Microsoft Windows, Microsoft]
1617 words (4.6 pages)
- As a computer administrator one must be aware of what the system requirements are for the operating system being used or installed on a system. Computer administrators that install operating systems on new or old hardware often will research what the manufacturer suggests for the operating system to work properly. The requirements for an operating system can be broken down into two categories hardware requirements and software requirements. Hardware Requirements are the resources that are needed to support an operating system.... [tags: Operating system, Computer, Windows Vista]
801 words (2.3 pages)
- Operating systems An operating system is software that completes a device this ranges from a phone, to tablet, to a computer and more. This software is the part of the computer that you know is there but you are not able to touch. It acts as a mediator between the hardware of the device and the user. This is what accepts commands from the user and then lets the hardware know what to do or what the user is requesting. Picture you’re in a foreign country that speaks a different language but you have a friend that 's there with you and they speak that language.... [tags: Operating system, Graphical user interface]
1041 words (3 pages)
- Characteristics of an Operating System: Multi-User: A Multi-User is two or more users that have individual accounts that allow them to work with programs and peripheral devices at the same time. Multitasking: Multitasking is when a computer is able to run more than one application at the same time, for example have Microsoft Word and Internet open at the same time. Multiprocessing: Multiprocessing is when an Operating System can support multiple Computer Processing Units (CPU’s) Multithreading: Multithreading is when a program can complete multiple tasks at the same time.... [tags: Operating system, Microsoft Windows, Microsoft]
1410 words (4 pages)
- ANANTH SAI KRISHNA BATTINENI BELLEVUE UNIVERSITY CIS612-T202 – COMPUTER PLATFORMS AND NETWORKING ASSIGNMENT 8.1 Principles Underlying Operating System: An Operating System (OS) is a manager which manages hardware and software components and makes them usable to the end user. There are many operating systems available to use such as Windows, Android, Linux and Apple OS. All operating systems(OS) are designed with some fundamental principles keeping in mind.... [tags: Operating system, Microsoft Windows]
1600 words (4.6 pages)
- Operating system is system software that controls the system’s hardware that interacts with users and the application software. As we all may know, Windows Microsoft has always been a commercial high-level sale in the retail industry and an in domain operating system used today. But there are more operating systems than just Windows Microsoft than the general population may assume. Linux is another well-known operating systems, which is free and open-source software. Linux is also used in companies we would have never thought of like Google, NASA, USPS, Amazon and many more companies.... [tags: Operating system, Microsoft Windows, Linux]
1939 words (5.5 pages)
- An Operating system is system software that controls the system’s hardware that interacts with users and the application software. As we all may know, Windows Microsoft has always been a commercial high-level sale in the retail industry and an in domain operating system used today. But there are more operating systems than just Windows Microsoft than the general population may assume. Linux is another well-known operating systems, which is free and open-source software. Linux is also used in companies we would have never thought of like Google, NASA, USPS, Amazon and many more companies.... [tags: Microsoft Windows, Windows Vista, Operating system]
2315 words (6.6 pages)
- Windows vs. MAC vs. Linux 8 secure, but the only other real benefit is that Apple does not populate a large percentage of the PC marketplace. Apple used to encourage this way of thinking, but after the Flashback virus (Perlroth, 2012), they decided it was no t a good idea to lie to their customers. Apple replaced their “Why you’ll love a Mac” website containing “It doesn’t get PC viruses” to “It’s built to be safe” (Mlot, 2012). Since malware really only exploits existing bugs or holes in an operating system, it is up to Apple to fix those holes, and they do a pretty good job of it.... [tags: Operating system, Microsoft Windows, Windows Vista]
1163 words (3.3 pages)
- Operating System Paper Introduction Operating Systems have come a long way since the times of a separate windows system and Disk Operating System (DOS). Now, both systems are combined which made DOS obsolete. According to Capron (2001), “An operating system is a set of programs that lies between applications software and computer hardware; it is the fundamental software that controls access to all other software and hardware resources” (p. 65). Operating systems have three main functions: to manage computer resources, to establish user interface and to execute and provide services for application software.... [tags: Technology Operating System Computer]
1462 words (4.2 pages)