Holland’s Theory of Vocational Choice
Holland’s Theory of Vocational Choice falls into the positivist category of career theories. The Theory of Vocational Choice is the best known and most widely researched career choice theory and is used by most career counselors. This theory can be easily summarized as, “Choosing a career that fits one’s personality type, has that person working with like-minded individuals, and is in a positive work environment will result in higher work satisfaction and fulfillment (Brown & Brown, 2012).”
Holland’s theory operates under the premise that the following five principles are true.
• In our culture, most people are one of six personality types: Realistic, Investigative, Artistic, Social, Enterprising, and Conventional.
• To complement those six personality types, six basic work environments exist in which each type feels most productive and comfortable.
• Likes will inherently go with likes. People with similar personality types working together create a positive and fulfilling work environment that most suits their type.
• Of their own volition people seek out the work environments that best suit their personality types. These environments are a space where their particular set of skills will be recognized as good and where they are able to freely express their values and attitudes.
• Working in an environment that is suited to their personality type will most likely result in greater success for the individual as well as a greater feeling of satisfaction ("Get Ready for Your ...
... middle of paper ...
...to help transition those hopes into reality.
Application of Arkansas Counseling Standards
Counselors and career educators use a variety of personality test. Learning style assessments, and interest inventories when help students set academic and career goals (AR.1.8, AR.2.3). Reviewing assessments can be eye opening, and can aid students through career counseling/coaching as they discovering more about themselves. Counselors can use assessments to detect how our students learn and what motivates them (AR.1.8). This information can be used to help students determine their interest, especially when they don’t have any strong preferences (AR.1.5, AR.1.8). Students should be using these tools before high school to begin planning for their future, and they need counselors to lead the way (AR.1.5, AR.1.8, AR.2.3, AR.2.4, AR.3.5 and AR. 6.2).
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- I have been constantly working with Microsoft Word to complete tasks for my financial modules, where I was able to create and enhance documents. After researching data, I created tables to illustrate my findings. Also, I have developed skills in Excel throughout my Financial Securities Valuation assignment by applying Excel’s formulas to construct a capitalisation-weighted index and an efficient portfolio. I worked with financial formulas for this assignment, in order to make portfolio calculations.... [tags: professional and academic choices]
2230 words (6.4 pages)
- Career management plays important role in career development. Career management is done with involved taking some necessary steps to reach the career plan and commonly more focusing on the ability of the organization able to do for their employee to increase their career development (Werner & DeSimone, 2009). Career plan is usually able to be performed, at least in some apart, through the training program which implemented by the organization. Career management process contained four steps which are self-assessment, reality check, goal setting and action planning (refer to Figure 1 in Appendix 1).... [tags: Development, Assessment, Goals, Plan]
935 words (2.7 pages)
- Application Required Questions 1. In a brief paragraph or two, share why you are particularly interested in this position and how your experiences have prepared you for this opportunity. I have just completed my twentieth year of teaching at the higher educational level. My teaching career began, twelve years prior, as a public school teacher in Chicago, Illinois. Before I completed my doctorate at Illinois State University in Curriculum and Instruction in 1995, I made the decision to move into higher education.... [tags: Education, Higher education, High school, Teacher]
1227 words (3.5 pages)
- Professional Development Opportunities Professional development entails facilitated learning opportunities that seek to impact desired skills, and to improve effectiveness and knowledge of a professional in a given area of specialization (Grogan, 2002). Opportunities for professional development are presented in formal education as specialized training, and additional learning of professionals to improve the knowledge and skills of administrators. Professional development in the banking and financial sector encompasses programs that are tailored to increases knowledge and skills of the professionals in the banking and financial industry.... [tags: Bank, Financial services, Private banking]
1626 words (4.6 pages)
- Career Development Assignment Selecting a career or even a new career after being in career for many years can be a daunting task. Knowing what you want to do for the next 5-7 years, or beyond can be challenging as what is good now will most certainly change in the future. This paper will examine the results of an online job search, building a resume, and preparing for a job interview. Job Search The job search began with looking at the job board link provided by the CSU-Global Career Center (2016) page.... [tags: Employment, Recruitment, Interview]
881 words (2.5 pages)
- Career Development Assignment Choosing a career or even a new career after being in career for many years can be a daunting task. Knowing what you want to do for the next 5-7 years, or beyond can be challenging as what is good now will most certainly change in the future. This paper will discuss the results of an online job search, building a resume, and preparing for a job interview. Job Search The job search started with looking at the job board link provided by the CSU-Global Career Center page.... [tags: Employment, Recruitment, Interview]
839 words (2.4 pages)
- Throughout the course of American history there have been many different and contrasting views of how the United States ' educational system is doing, such as efficiently and sufficiently or inefficiently or insufficiently. Many people, such as parents and students argue that since America is evolving and advancing, its educational system must also evolve and advance, by strengthening students ' educational application and critical thinking skills in order to prepare the next generation of workers for the evolving nation and world.... [tags: Education, Critical thinking, Teacher, Learning]
716 words (2 pages)
- It is with great enthusiasm that our chapter submits the application for the annual SACNAS chapter awards. This past year, SJCC-SACNAS chapter has experienced professional growth. With our past SJCC-SACNAS chapter, students transformed from enthusiastic students to passionate leaders and mentors in our community. Christopher Lucas, our former vice president, graduated from San Jose City College and is transferring to UC Davis in pursuit of a biochemistry B.S. Past President Adriana Echaury will be attending UC Santa Barbara as a biochemistry student.... [tags: Summer of Love, Leadership, College]
1350 words (3.9 pages)
- THREE PILLARS OF THE COLLEGE OF BUSINESS LYDIA DWUMA GRAND CANYON UNIVERSITY ALAN GUTHRIE UNUV 504 INTRODUCTION TO GRADUATE STUDIES IN THE COLLEGE OF BUSINESS THREE PILLARS OF THE COLLEGE OF BUSINESS Entrepreneurship has taken diverse views since its discovery in commerce. People had varied notions as to what it entails and the characteristics an individual needs to have to be called an entrepreneur. The concept of entrepreneurship is seen as the process of uncovering and developing an opportunity to create value through innovation and seizing that opportunity without regard to either resources (human and capital) or the location of the entrepreneur – in a new or existing company (Churc... [tags: Entrepreneurship, Entrepreneur, Joseph Schumpeter]
991 words (2.8 pages)
- In an accounting large quantity of numbers in systematically arrangement makes possible for businesses to provide a view of its day to day activity, growth, and its financial standing. I created interest in learning accounting from my home, and make it my career, as well as to progress my career goal to become auditor and open up my own accounting business; I need to make my knowledge of accounting wider and stronger. Applying for Master Science in Accounting is a very important step toward achieving my career goal.... [tags: Bachelor's degree, Master's degree]
899 words (2.6 pages)
- Ethical Dilemmas And The Social Work Code Of Ethics
- Analysis Of Dante 's ' The Pilgrim 's Journey Through Hell From Good Friday, And Canto Xxi
- Group Dynamics For Teams By Daniel Levi
- The Application Of Philosophy On Various Investment Companies
- Mt. St. Helens
- Advertising Information Or Manipulation?