For my service learning project, I took a trip down to Maine’s capital to go to a special place to help out at a veteran’s home. My drive down there was a bit longer than I expected, I got lost a few times but I got to the veteran’s home around ten in the morning. When I got there I had to fill out an application and then I followed a nurse down the hall, she told me that we were going to a unit that was locked down because they had Alzheimer’s. When we walked in the door the patients were doing there morning physical therapy. I joined in and helped out with encouraging all of them to use not just their feet but also their hands. After that we went into cooking groups I was there to help both cooking groups, I help by cutting onions and then we made a traditional Indian pudding. It was the first time that I had ever made Indian pudding it was definitely a new experience. When it became lunch time I went around and knocked on everyone’s door telling them that lunch was going to be served soon, I helped sever lunch which was stuffed shells and cooked vegetables after that they got deserts and it was an ice cream sundae.
Diversity of community
Before I went down to the veteran’s hospital I had always thought that they were not the place where any person that served this country should have to go. I thought that they just left the patients and that they never had showers. I thought that the patients would all have PTSD (post traumatic stress disorder) and that they would have flash-backs to when they were in the war, and that it would be mostly men that were there because back then there was mostly men. When I got there I found out that it was so different because non of it was true. The patients told me about what t...
... middle of paper ...
... was fun because I got to ask each patient what they wanted on their ice cream. One of the parts that I loved about being there was getting to sit down with each patient and getting to hear their stories, just let them have a person to talk to other than the nurses.
I think that I learned a lot about myself, I had to learn how to work in a group. It was a lot easier talking to the residents than it was to the nurses because in my eyes the residents were a lot more understanding. Not all people serve our country and get to tell about it years after. As the day went on I think that I got a little bit more comfortable with talking to the nurses because in a few years I will be doing work just like they are doing. I know that being in a nursing home is not the best thing, but the resident know that they are getting the best care that they can get.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Introduction For my service learning project, I took a trip down to Maine’s capital to go to a special place to help out at a veteran’s home. My drive down there was a bit longer than I expected, I got lost a few times but I got to the veteran’s home around ten in the morning. When I got there I had to fill out an application and then I followed a nurse down the hall, she told me that we were going to a unit that was locked down because they had Alzheimer’s. When we walked in the door the patients were doing there morning physical therapy.... [tags: Nursing, Nursing home, Lunch, Nurse]
1406 words (4 pages)
- When a woman approached Benjamin Franklin following the concluding session of the Constitutional Convention in Philadelphia in the fall of 1787 and asked what sort of government the delegates had come up with, Franklin famously replied: "A republic, madam, if you can keep it." The relevance of that notable statement transcended centuries and applied itself not only to national politics. The People’s participation in maintaining an agreeable government depends on a collective activism regarding both state and local civic affairs.... [tags: Service Learning Teaching Education]
1115 words (3.2 pages)
- Restoration Development In my job shadowing experience, I have observed Shawn Hooker from AM/PM Restoration Company. His job title with the company is Project Manager. “Project management is the application of knowledge, skills, tools and techniques to project activities to meet the project requirements” (Varajaoa & Cruz-Cunhac, 2013, p. 3342). He handles supervision and management of the restoration projects by directing all the field activities. He is the person that showed me how the restoration world revolves.... [tags: Project management, Management, Construction]
1019 words (2.9 pages)
- Based on my experience working with many IT projects, it has a start date, uses a set of resources working on a planned interdepended task that are executed over a period of time within the allocated cost and time to accomplish the planned objectives of an organization. The outcome of the accomplishment can vary depending upon the organization from a specific product, service, or meet a legal or regulatory requirement. According to the Project management Institute (n, d), the project is a temporary endeavor undertaken by any organization to create its unique products, services or a result and defined as temporary in nature with a beginning, end in time, and therefore has a defined scope and... [tags: Project management, Management]
713 words (2 pages)
- Practicum Project: Creating a Women and Infants Clinical Summary Screen The adoption of clinical information systems is one way that healthcare organizations are making an effort to improve patient safety, provide a means to exemplify regulatory compliance, and facilitate exchange of patient information between care providers (Kirkley & Stein, 2004; Nadzam, 2009). To achieve this goal, Barnes-Jewish Hospital (BJH) recently implemented a new CPOE/clinical documentation system. One of the objectives of the new system was to give bedside clinicians a standardized electronic tool, known as the Clinical Summary, for bedside shift hand-off reporting.... [tags: Project Plan]
2010 words (5.7 pages)
- It gives me great pleasure to write this letter in support of Mr. Auli Kusuma’s application for an permanent resident visa as an outstanding scientist of an exceptional ability. It is my personal assessment the Mr. Kusuma’s professional qualification and his continuing application of project management, strategic planning and cost engineering skills in the United States will enhance our nation’s competitiveness. Mr. Kusuma is an outstanding scientist with excellent background in project management, strategic planning and cost engineering and has significant achievements in the energy industry including benchmarking, cost estimation and cost assurance.... [tags: Project management, Management, Cost overrun]
953 words (2.7 pages)
- I have been fortunate enough to work for one of leading auditing and consultancy firm in the world, KPMG. While working for KPMG I realized that the organization had streamed line process for everything which is supported by technology and innovation, to make the processes efficient and consistent. However, I noticed a process where KPMG still needed innovation and technology was project monitoring. Consultants and Managers at KPMG spend eight to ten hours every week, creating client status updates and communicating project status with the clients and amongst themselves.... [tags: Project management, Management]
1058 words (3 pages)
- Community Service and Service Learning Defined: To compare community service and service learning it is necessary that each are defined. Community service is defined in the Cambridge Advanced Learners Dictionary as, “work that people do to help other people without payment, and which young criminals whose crime was not was not serious enough for them to be put in prison are forced to do”(Cambridge Advanced Learners Dictionary 2004). Community service is simply as it is defined work done for free, that carries along with it a slave labor tone.... [tags: essays papers]
2033 words (5.8 pages)
Incorporating M-Learning in Malaysian Higher Learning Institutions’ ESL Learning: Application and Pedagogical Framework
- 1.0 INTRODUCTION The development of mobile and wireless technologies has triggered various projects and studies looking into the possibilities and potential of mobile technologies to become an effective tool in learning. In the domain of language learning, the term mobile assisted language learning or (MALL) is no longer alien to many. The potential in mobile learning is huge that Ambient Insight Comprehensive Report (2011) reported that the worldwide market for Mobile Learning products and services reached $3.2 Billion in 2010.... [tags: Technology ]
1655 words (4.7 pages)
- Most Project Managers come up through the ranks of an Information Technology (I.T.) department. They have mastered coding, testing. This experience helps prepare them to run projects, but there are still many unknowns for the new Project Manager. The official project request they receive is typically a vague, one-page list of objectives. In addition, I.T. Management cannot afford the time to guide the new Project Manager each step of the way. This paper will assist them in the initial stages of a project.... [tags: Management Information Technology]
2800 words (8 pages)
- Analysis Of The Poem ' After Emma 's Corpse Been Pulled From The River '
- Ernest Hemingway 's Hills Like White Elephants
- The Differences Between The And Of The United States On The Middle Side Of Town America
- Differences Between Collectivist And Individualistic Cultures
- Intercultural Communication : Non Verbal Communication
- Personal Narrative : My Grandmother 's Visit