Working with different people is one of things I am excited about being a RA. As I met different people with different cultures, beliefs and worked together in the past, I am certain I know how to interact with them. These experiences taught me how to interact people different from me flexibly, how to withstand pressure and how to use differences as strength. Moreover I have taken several leadership positions before so benefits from those positions would be useful in becoming a RA. A resident assistant should always be caring and protective of his residents. He has to guide them so that they could live in a happy but safe environment. That is what I did when I went to Japan. As I was given the role of leader, I tried to live up to it. So I know the responsibilities of being a leader and how to make decisions for the sake of the team. I think these past experiences would prepare me for this position.
2. The RA position is primarily a role charged with enhancing a community among a diverse group of people. Please explain how you define community and why you think you will be a successful community builder.
Community is like a Venn diagram. It is all about relations between a finite group of people or things. People have their own circles and, sometimes, these circles overlap one another. These interceptions are interests, common attitudes and goals that we share together. These interceptions bond us together as a community, as a Venn diagram. A good community needs good communication where people speak and listen to each other openly and honestly. It needs ti...
... middle of paper ...
... your residents during your initial community meeting? How will you achieve this?
The initial community meeting has a great impact on the tone of the community. During the meeting, I would like to tell my residents our ultimate goal, having a good community. Then I would explain what a good community is. A good community is one where we share the resources and seek to improve the environment. Characteristics of a good community would include clean and safe environments, equity and social justice, diversity, mutually-supportive relationships and eager participation of residents. I will achieve this by encouraging residents to be part of the process of establishing expectations. By this way, they would become more invested in the expectations as they help create them or otherwise they may see these expectations as imposed from above.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- What do you feel are the advantages and the disadvantages of being a Resident Assistant. An advantage for me being an RA is to get to engage with students in my hall and around campus in a capacity that I wish to as a counselor. I will get to encourage students to be their best academically and otherwise and help enable them to do so. I 'll also get to be a leader and develop skills in encouraging community and relationships, organize and oversee activities for those relationships and growth, model that independence and cooperatively, and learn to better handle conflict in a possible high stress situation.... [tags: Management, University, Responsibility, Leadership]
1448 words (4.1 pages)
- As outlined in the Permanent Resident – Canadian Experience Class Document Check list , I am writing with the intention of demonstrating my proficiency in English. I will do so by outlining that English is my first language and that I have successfully utilized my English language skills during my years of formal education. I will also discuss my ability to converse in English, based on my experiences as a volunteer and employee in the various communities in which I have resided. For your reference, I have attached supplementary letters collected from my past teachers and employers.... [tags: Language]
1003 words (2.9 pages)
- I would be grateful if you would accept this letter as an application for the post of Assistant Headteacher at Welham. I believe that I have the required skills and experience to make a success of this opportunity and I intend, throughout this letter, to suggest ways in which my contributions would be of value to such a position within your school. Since my appointment to the Hillingdon School I have been afforded the opportunity to play an integral role in moving forward the ICT and Business Departments and the Technologies Curriculum Area.... [tags: application letter]
1274 words (3.6 pages)
- Misconception has actually been what I’ve struggled most with in my position as resident at UMC. From what my preceptor has told me, many leaders are faced with the challenge of misunderstandings, and that administrators spend much of their time resolving conflicts between employees. I have seen this while attempting to speak with the employees of the, then, Interim LSU Hospital. When I was hired on, the organization was already in the fist of “The Move”. Set for May 1, it was changed to August 1 when setbacks in construction occurred.... [tags: Health care, Health care provider, Health]
1061 words (3 pages)
- I have experience in the medical environment, and when two of my grandmothers took ill I helped them along the way. My heart is good, but the devil never fails to steal my joy. I am also a mother of four beautiful young ladies, so yes I also have a lot of patience. I treat most of my patients like they were my own family. All of my patients get my respect. It is owed to them and they demand it as well. Having compassion, being king, understanding, helpful, staying prepared and willing are all just a few personal attributes that one should have when dealing with patients.... [tags: application essay, admission essay, nursing]
1375 words (3.9 pages)
- There are many qualities that I see in myself that will help me to succeed as a Resident Assistant. Many of them deal with communication, and treating others the way that I want to be treated. To me to be good at any job it will take time, which every full time college student seems to think that they don’t have enough. It also takes someone that welcomes diversity, a person that is welcoming to everyone despite their differences. Those are two of my strongest qualities time management, and being unbiased.... [tags: Time management, Management, Time, Thought]
723 words (2.1 pages)
- Life as a Resident Assistant In her first year as a Resident Assistant, Andrea Robinson received a Christmas card from a resident named Charlotte, thanking her for helping Charlotte adjust to her new life at college. Robinson recalled that Charlotte was overcome with homesickness, as many first time students can be, and to help boost her spirits, she went with Charlotte to an opening week picnic. That made a huge difference for Charlotte and her gratitude she conveyed in the card. But the message had an extra meaning to Robinson.... [tags: Profile Essays]
685 words (2 pages)
- Being a resident assistant is a tough job. It is a job that has made a stronger and more confident person this past year. It is not a suitable job for students who are afraid of confrontation. There are two types of resident assistants that I have observed. The first type of resident assistant is the one who will give a violation to any resident for the smallest of things. The second type is the one who tries to be friends with everyone and sometimes lets things slide. Finding a balance between the two is somewhat of a rare feat, but can be achieved.... [tags: tough job, dorm buildings, alcohol]
1337 words (3.8 pages)
- ... Volunteering has allowed me time to showcase my leadership, interaction, and communications skills efficiently by engaging children in a fun educational environment. By utilizing my skills in the museum, the children in the exhibits were informed about new methods of learning, such as hands-on interaction, for everyday use and/or life. The Children’s Museum and the RA job have similar goals and objectives, creating a postive environment, and building skills that could be used in the future. The skills I have used at the museum, I would be able to apply them by being a Resident Advisor.... [tags: role, applicants, experience, distinguish]
544 words (1.6 pages)
- It gives me great pleasure to write this letter in support of Mr. Auli Kusuma’s application for an permanent resident visa as an outstanding scientist of an exceptional ability. It is my personal assessment the Mr. Kusuma’s professional qualification and his continuing application of project management, strategic planning and cost engineering skills in the United States will enhance our nation’s competitiveness. Mr. Kusuma is an outstanding scientist with excellent background in project management, strategic planning and cost engineering and has significant achievements in the energy industry including benchmarking, cost estimation and cost assurance.... [tags: Project management, Management, Cost overrun]
953 words (2.7 pages)