My tryst with Civil Engineering began with a stint at my uncle’s company, ‘Transys Consulting Services Pvt. Ltd.’, which specializes in infrastructure construction. Over the years, my experience of working in certain areas of construction , ignited in me a deep interest and zeal to study Civil Engineering and ultimately make it my career choice.
I completed my under graduation in Civil Engineering from SRM university which is a ABET , USA accredited course. Pioneering courses such as Mechanics of Solids and Strength of Materials laid the foundation in Structural Engineering. I was further intrigued by Structural Analysis and Earthquake Resistant and Special Structures courses. I therefore decided to pursue my major in Structural Engineering and embrace it as my career option.
In my senior year, I had the opportunity to lead a team working on a project titled ‘Analyse and Design of a Water Supply Scheme to a Colony’. We analyzed the source of water, designed the intake structures such as RCC ground level reservoirs, RCC over head tanks, planned a distribution network and prepared comprehensive cost estimation. During the course of this project, I gained valuable experience in using professional software like STAAD.Pro, EPANET and AutoCAD.
My understanding further broadened with 2 internships of 2 weeks each that I underwent during my under graduation. The first internship was at Trident and Oberoi Hotels, Hyderabad where I was engaged in the design and execution of pile foundation and the pile load testing activity. As a result, I grasped the construction sequence of bored cast in-situ pile and its respective load testing using Kentledge method. My second internship was at Airport Authority o...
... middle of paper ...
...Structures, Design of Earthquake Resistant Structures, Design of pre stressed concrete structures and bridge engineering. Your University’s brochure and department’s website suggest seasoned faculty with sophisticated research facilities. I am really interested in Dr. Arturo E. Schultz‘s research on health monitoring of transportation structures and with my knowledge in transportation structures, I wish to possibly work with him.
This admission to University of Minnesota will ultimately help me accomplish my dream of becoming an entrepreneur and having a structural engineering consultancy firm, which specializes in economical and optimised structural design especially for civil infrastructure projects. Considering my sound academic knowledge and industry experience, I request you to consider my candidature for MS in Civil Engineering at your prestigious university.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- With the help of architectural engineers, our world has become very civilized and advanced over the past decades. Like all other engineers, architectural engineers use logic and creativity to solve problems. They come up with effective designs to assist people in their everyday tasks. In our daily lives we are surrounded by buildings. Places that were once a dessert are turned into cities that now hold amazing buildings. Houses, schools, shopping centers, offices, apartments, airports, etc. are very essential in our society.... [tags: logic, creativity, civil engineering]
1217 words (3.5 pages)
- Dear Madam, Sir, I am a Civil Engineering student at Ain Shams University in Cairo, expected to graduate at the end of June . I appreciate this opportunity to introduce myself at your University to apply for The master program in Civil Engineering at Bologna University .This program will mean a lot for my professional aspirations, Capability to handle problems, social balance and the necessity to gain an international experience make me a proper candidate for this position. By Getting a bachelor's degree in Civil Engineering I would achieve first part of my dreams.... [tags: university, construction, improvement]
629 words (1.8 pages)
- A civil engineer works on public projects. They are usually employed by municipalities, engineering, construction, or architectural firms, or the federal government. They design, organize, and lead civil engineering assignments including but not limited to activities such as airports, bridges, dams, pipelines, railroads, and roads. Civil engineers are responsible for calculating costs of a project as well as analyzing data, applying knowledge of engineering techniques, and using advanced mathematics.... [tags: engineering, career,]
2161 words (6.2 pages)
- Historically, Civil Engineering is the oldest branch of engineering and dates back at least 5,000 years to the profession of "master builder" involving pyramids, temples and irrigation projects. Engineering has changed greatly since those days but the fundamental principles have stayed the same. Engineers solve peoples problems with applied science and innovation. Today's problems are more complex and the needs of current and future societies have created challenges for engineering unparalleled in our history.... [tags: essays research papers]
575 words (1.6 pages)
- It gives me great pleasure to write this letter in support of Mr. Auli Kusuma’s application for an permanent resident visa as an outstanding scientist of an exceptional ability. It is my personal assessment the Mr. Kusuma’s professional qualification and his continuing application of project management, strategic planning and cost engineering skills in the United States will enhance our nation’s competitiveness. Mr. Kusuma is an outstanding scientist with excellent background in project management, strategic planning and cost engineering and has significant achievements in the energy industry including benchmarking, cost estimation and cost assurance.... [tags: Project management, Management, Cost overrun]
953 words (2.7 pages)
- “Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily available, they will create their own problems.” This was said by Scott Adams who is an Engineer. There are a lot of careers out there that are interesting, fun, and a career that makes a lot of money. Engineering is one of those careers that fills in all of those points. Engineering is a great career to get into, it’s a career that almost anyone would have fun with. There are 40 different types of engineering so him/her will be able to choose through different options; whichever suits them or whatever they are interesting in.... [tags: Engineering, Academic degree, Master's degree]
930 words (2.7 pages)
- As a kid, I always liked to build and construct whatever my mind came up with. For example, I like to build with LEGOs; following the instructions step-by-step until the project was complete. I loved it. As I moved through middle school, and even into high school, I wondered if construction, or constructing things, could be pursued as a job. Especially since my advancements and achievements in math and science subjects in school, engineering in general sounded like the right job for me. That’s how I found civil engineering as a career option.... [tags: Civil engineering, Engineer, Engineering]
2783 words (8 pages)
- The career the I'm interest me the most is Civil Engineering. Civil engineering is designing and overseeing construction and maintenance of building structures and facilities. May work on roads, railroads, airports, bridges, harbors, channels, dams, irrigation projects, pipelines, power plants, water and sewage systems, or waste disposal units. May be architectural, structural, traffic, ocean, geo-technical or other kind of engineer. I chose this career because I would see my mom's side of the family they all are engineers and I really like what they do I like to design.... [tags: Civil engineering, Civil engineer, Engineering]
728 words (2.1 pages)
- Statement of purpose “Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.” I would like to start by going back to the initial days of Engineering where I was not sure about doing Engineering but as the days passed I started realizing the step that I took could not have been better .I was fascinated by the laboratories and field work of Civil Engineering and my interest for the subject started growing .Moreover, I had always had to believe that education which cannot help in the growth of the society is of no value which ensured my step of doing my under graduation in Civil Engineering .... [tags: Civil Engineering, Construction]
600 words (1.7 pages)
- The world is always expanding and growing. Since the beginning of time, people have relied on buildings and roads to support them in some way. Whether they are complex or simple, they are necessary in everyday life. Society’s constant need for growth is what makes civil engineering a unique career path. The world would be under-developed and it would be difficult for today’s society to function without the technology and knowledge in this industry. When researching the career of civil engineering, it is important to detail the history, skills, and education and positive and negative aspects of the profession.... [tags: Civil engineering, Engineering]
1148 words (3.3 pages)