My short-term goal is to help a firm manage its financial risk by developing and applying effective risk management strategies. My long term goal is to lead an enterprise wide risk management program for a multi-national company.
My experiences in IT Risk Services, Accounting Audit and Structured Finance Advisory Services at the Big Four firms helped shape my career goal and created a strong fascination for Financial Risk Management. These experiences taught me how risks affect organizations. I learnt how external factors such as market volatility, oil prices and internal factors such as bad business decisions increase a firm’s vulnerability to risk. I also learnt to identify, qualify and mitigate significant technology risks faced by businesses. However, through these experiences, I also realized that to identify financial risks and to mitigate them through effective strategies requires advanced education in the subject. My professional experience in Big Four served to increase my interest in risk management, but it is not sufficient to meet my long term goal. It has been humbling to find that my MBA in Finance although beneficial does not provide me the comprehensive training needed for Financial Risk Management in the current business environment. These deficiencies will inhibit me from progressing in my career path, particularly in my desired sector of financial services. At this pivotal point I believe that a Financial Risk Management program is an essential requirement for me. I also believe that now is the right time for me to pursue my education in Financial Risk Management because I have gained sufficient professional experiences to inform my future work and provide me with valuable depth...
... middle of paper ...
... career and professional experience. My hard work and sincerity has helped me receive appreciation from both my seniors and clients. My people management skills have helped me deal successfully with difficult client situations. I have trained new hire employees on business practices and also prepared training material. I have always thrived in an academic environment, graduating as valedictorian of my Engineering class and graduating with Beta Gamma Sigma from the UCONN MBA Program. I believe that my unique perspectives and background will add to the dynamic learning environment and will enable me to contribute positively both inside and outside the classroom. I look forward to a fruitful learning experience at The University of Connecticut’s MSFRM program. Acceptance into the program is an honor that I would endeavor with all of my being to deserve and to repay.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- I am writing to apply for the financial accountant position, as advertised on linkedIn. The reason why I apply for this role is I am interested in NOVA Entertainment and I hope I can have the opportunity to learn more about NOVA Entertainment and the media industry. Introduction I completed my Bachelor of Business degree at the University of Tasmania. After the completion of the degree, I accepted membership of the Golden Key Honour Society, which is only awarded to students in the top 15% of their discipline.... [tags: Auditing, Audit, Financial audit]
1291 words (3.7 pages)
- Risk factors Premier is an international business which has to face a variety of strategic, operational, financial and external risks. Premier’s business, financial standing, results and reputation may be impacted by various risks. Not all of these risks are within the company’s control and the company may be affected by risks other than those listed below. Clear responsibility The Board is responsible for overall group strategy, acquisition and divestment policy, approval of major capital expenditure projects, corporate costs and significant financing matters and the management of risks.... [tags: Risk, Risk management, Investment, Management]
1236 words (3.5 pages)
- Over the past decade, risk and uncertainty have increasingly become major issues which impact business activities. Many organizations are raising awareness to minimize the adverse consequences by implementing the process of Risk Management Framework which plays a significant role in mitigating almost all categories of risks. According to Ward (2005), the objective of risk management is to enhance a company’s performance. In particular, the importance of the framework is to assist top management in developing a sensible risk management strategy and program.... [tags: Business, Risk, Uncertainty]
2000 words (5.7 pages)
- MillerCoors IS31000 Case Study All organizations and industries experience risk exposure, from both internal and external events. Accordingly, with outcome speculation being uncertain, organizations can experience either negative or positive effects. In general, the IS31000 defines risk as the “effect of uncertainty on objects” (Elliott, 2012 p.1.4). Consequently, the application of risk management practices helps minimize the effects of risk uncertainty on an organization and is accomplished through coordinating an organization’s activities by establishing control and creating policies in regards to risk.... [tags: Risk management, Risk, Operational risk]
1381 words (3.9 pages)
- Risk Analysis Berkeley Place Apartments is currently running on older hardware and personal computers. The servers end to be replaced and the software is schedule for upgrade. Firewalls need to be installed to protect the personal information of residents. Anti-virus software is currently expiring and needs to be renewal and vendor reevaluation. Physically access is out of scope for the project. It is imperative that Berkeley Place understand how each risk/threat will impact the cost of business and which level of the organization is impacted by each risk prior to the event happening.... [tags: Risk, Risk management, Security, Computer security]
1221 words (3.5 pages)
- The aim of this assignment is to discuss the application of multiple operational management concepts, and the varying effects they impel on the efficiency of an organisation. ‘Operations Management is the function that refers to the management of resources that create and deliver products and services to the customer’ (Slack, et al. 2014). An operations function is a critical part of every organisation, and is ultimately a highly influential factor in how efficient and effective an organisation is.... [tags: Supply chain management, Inventory, Management]
1486 words (4.2 pages)
- In recent times, risk management has become one of the most important aspects of project management because of the rate of financial crisis and natural disaster in the world right now and the rate of increase in expectation from the stakeholder in an organisation. But firstly, project brings about risk management so what is project. Project can be defined as a group of people working in a unique way in a period of time to achieve a specific goal. And in achieving that project management come into place, project management is according to (PMBOK 2004) ‘The application of knowledge, skill, tools and techniques to project activities to meet the project requirement’.... [tags: Business Management ]
2278 words (6.5 pages)
- Discussions regarding financial markets and natural disasters often center on risk management, highlighting the extreme losses than can occur. As risk management progresses into companies all over the world, determining the amount of risk present, and adjusting those risks in the best way suited for future objectives must be taken into consideration. Researchers are focusing on ways to calculate and diminish uncertainty, as well as detect, mitigate, and transfer the risk associated with over-industrializing and expansion of companies.... [tags: Risk management, Risk, Uncertainty, Management]
930 words (2.7 pages)
- Silver Star Mines risk assessment illustrates how a company can be at great danger if proper security measures and policies are not put in effect on every business process. In fact, “an IT security risk assessment is needed for each asset in the organization that requires protection” (Stallings, 2015, p. 486). According to the initial review, Silver Star Mines risk assessment highlights the following risk areas: Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) at top critical risk, stored information at extreme risk, financial, procurement, production systems at high risk and e-mail services at high risks accordingly.... [tags: Security, Computer security, Risk]
1317 words (3.8 pages)
- What is risk. "Simply put, risk is uncertainty. The more risk you take, the more you stand to lose or gain. You cannot expect high returns without taking substantial risks." Tossing a dice, is at basic level a risky endeavor. The outcomes are thrown open to uncertainty. You take risk everytime you act, from crossing the street; to buying a stock. Generally when people talk about risk, they focus on financial risk. In terms of finance, it is the risk that a company or individual could lose some or all of the original investment, possibly resulting in inadequate cash flow to meet financial obligations.... [tags: Investment Business Risk]
1550 words (4.4 pages)