My interest in linguistics began with my undergraduate studies when I majored in linguistics and translation in the department of English and Translation at Qassim University, Saudi Arabia. After graduation, I pursued my master’s degree in linguistics at the University of Florida. Having my master’s degree, I have applied to the PhD in Linguistics at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee for the Fall 2014 semester.
My academic linguistics background has grown significantly during my undergraduate and graduate studies. As an undergraduate, the linguistics courses I studied while earning my bachelor’s degree introduced me to the linguistics world and motivated me to pursue my graduate studies in linguistics. The program included the theoretical core courses: Syntax, Semantics, Morphology, Phonology, and Phonetics and other applied linguistics courses such as Sociolinguistics, Second Language Acquisition and Discourse Analysis. I was fascinated by and good at linguistics in general and theoretical linguistics in particular.
Further development and more greatly impact on my linguistics knowledge has occurred during pursuing my master’s degree in linguistics at the University of Florida. I intensively studied linguistics and explored its fields in-depth. The core courses in that program were Phonology, Morphology and Syntax. Moreover, I enrolled in theoretical and applied linguistics courses, which familiarized me with advanced materials and essential experiences in conducting original research. In applied linguistics, I studied Second Language Acquisition and Sociolinguistics and applied English Grammar. In theoretical linguistics, I took two advanced courses in syntax to investigate core areas of researc...
... middle of paper ...
...tics at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee would match my research interests perfectly. My interest in Arabic syntax matches Professor Ouali’s who is interested in Arabic syntax and comparative syntax. He has worked on areas that attract my interest like agreement, tense system among others and has investigated several topics in Arabic syntax. Therefore, I would be honored to work him. Without a doubt, having the opportunity to work with the Department’s faculty in my Ph.D. will enable me to succeed in my academic future. The knowledge and the expertise that I will gain through coursework and participation in research projects will add to the solid linguistics research background that my academic and career goals require me to achieve. In addition, I would be delighted to contribute to the department and be an active member in the department’s activities.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- As our city schools struggle to improve, it is critical that our school leaders be, innovative, supportive, open minded, strong, and passionate. These same school leaders must also have extensive experience as educators, and be committed to studying and incorporating current research into their practices. I have experience in leadership roles in the school setting, and I have learned a great deal from my participation in these roles. I am committed to the students of New York City; I want to improve our schools for them.... [tags: application essays, admissions essays, PhD]
793 words (2.3 pages)
- “Time and tide wait for no man”, this we all know. Having done an inspiring four-year course in Computer Science Engineering. I would like to put to use this knowledge to do my PhD in Computer Science. This would give me the leading edge in technology and the practical low-down and the information I require. For the past few decades man is advancing in to the unknown realms of science and technology. This advancement is to make life easy and to increase human comfort at home and at work and I would like to be an integral part of such betterment.... [tags: research, application, knowledge, power]
635 words (1.8 pages)
- ... This further sparks my determination to pursue my postgraduate in biotechnology related field. As I have always been interested with Northern Europe, I choose to study in the UK for a variety of reasons. Firstly, I was very impressed with the achievement and quality of education in the UK which has been known for its excellence in both, teaching and research. In addition to that, the universities in the UK and their facilities are safeguarded by the Quality Assurance Agency. Furthermore, in every five years, the Research Assessment Exercise will test the research quality undertaken by each university to improve their standard and quality of education.... [tags: personal statement]
936 words (2.7 pages)
- I have always been inspired by the workings of chemistry and mathematics. My studies of these subjects have developed my understanding and have made me pursue my interest in these two topics. I want to take up chemistry as it involves a large amount of mathematics which I value and understand to be challenging, yet very enjoyable, as there is always an alternative route to obtain the answer. Additionally, I am drawn to the course because it is a mixture of all these exacting subjects, forming a degree that is very demanding and stimulating.... [tags: Math, Challenge]
556 words (1.6 pages)
- I had chosen to specialize in legal studies as a path of study and profession while I was still in high school. At the time, I also worked as a part-time administrative assistant at a local law firm, as means to gain relevant insight to the appropriate professional conduct in a work place, in addition to providing for myself at a time during which my family was braving dire financial difficulties. One day, and as I was about to leave for home, an upset elderly woman walked into the office. At that time, there was but the senior lawyer and myself in the firm, so I did my best to settle her down and led her to the lawyer in his office.... [tags: School Admission Request]
800 words (2.3 pages)
- Interests My interest is simply that I want to teach any of the multiple facets of Finance and Accounting. My interest in Finance includes broad range of fields such as corporate finance, international finance, financial markets, money and banking, risk management and financial derivatives, portfolio management, and investment planning. Beside my strong interests in theoretical aspect of finance, I am particularly interested in application of quantitative methods in understanding of economic and finance phenomena.... [tags: experience, education, goals]
536 words (1.5 pages)
- I am determinant young woman with a BS degree in Physics from King Faisal University, Saudi Arabia, on a quest to obtain a MS Physics degree and gain the knowledge, skills and expertise I needs to establish my career as an instructor and researcher within the field at one of Saudi Arabia’s universities. Furthermore, I aspire to continue my studies in the near future and earn a PhD degree in Physics, and armed with a Master’s degree from (name of University) I believe I will be fully equipped to do so.... [tags: School Admission Request]
580 words (1.7 pages)
- From the beginning entering the gradate school was one of my main aims but the issue of how to fund my Ph.D. graduate school education was a major obstacle. In the Middle East there is an obvious lack of human rights and more particularly for women. Thus, it is quite hard to apply for a scholarship for graduate school and men have a complete advantage in any scholarship if existed. In 2012 I joined UWM as a second Bachelor degree in Biological science. I was fortunate to be a student in Dr. Timothy J.... [tags: scholarship, student, biology]
531 words (1.5 pages)
- With this letter, I would like to submit my formal application for the Assistant/Associate Professor position in Public Health. As a graduate of a historical black college and university, it is an honor to apply for this position. Currently, I am an Assistant Professor of Epidemiology at Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota. My primary research interest has focused on understanding the best practices for conducting Community Engagement in Research (CEnR), which some have called studying “the science of CEnR” and striving to make it the norm in biomedical research.... [tags: Research, Scientific method]
1651 words (4.7 pages)
- UCSD DEPARTMENT OF PSYCHOLOGY BA/BS HONORS PROGRAM APPLICATION SUPPLEMENTAL QUESTIONS: (Please respond to all questions, using a maximum of 1,000 words total on a typed separate sheet) Briefly describe your reasons for applying to the honors program. I am applying to this program to achieve my utmost potential. Only the brightest psych majors go through this program, and that is what I aspire to be. With the proper training, mentors, ability,community and help, I can become my ideal self.... [tags: Psychology, Cognition, Cognitive science]
1023 words (2.9 pages)
- Soul or Cell?: The Inmortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
- Application Essay for Programming Studies
- Health Care System of Finland, United Kingdom, and Ethiopia
- Automotive Technician Needing Computer Based Training
- Analysis of A Rose for Emily by William Faulker
- Alzheimer´s Disease and Its Relation with Dementia