If I could be a professional student, I would be. I am always wondering why, how, what if. Learning excites me and I have a hunger for more. I go to the local science museum in almost every place I vacation and enjoy new exhibits at the Houston Museum of Natural Science regularly. I spend almost every summer in a class of some kind. For example, I spent three weeks at the Astronomy Institute in Berkeley, California, last summer. There is always more to learn. Success in my studies is a constant expectation of myself as well. I have never had an incomplete, failed, repeated or dropped class.
Biology also excites me. I have known I wanted to work in biology since seventh grade and my career path has shown loyalty to that. After graduating in the top five percent of my high school class, I went to Texas A&M University in Commerce for one year. The following year I transferred to UT Arlington to complete my degree. I earned a BS in Microbiology with a minor in Chemistry in December of 1990 with a GPA of 3.5. The following month I began work in research at Southern Methodist University studying tumor growth in plants. I continued my path in molecular biology and began doing research in the Neurobiology department of UT Southwestern Medical Center. There I searched for the upstream regulation gene for the MASH 1 g...
... middle of paper ...
...b one day. Having a Master of Science in Biology degree will distinguish myself from others vying for the same positions.
UNK offers me the best opportunity to succeed in my endeavor to earn a Master of Science in Biology though your distance learning program. Distance learning will enable me to take classes around my work and family schedules. UNK in particular is well versed in distance learning, the variety of classes offered piques my interest, the flexible schedule offered allows me to chose the right classes for me, and I have several cousins who have graduated from the UNK campus and have only the best regards for the school.
I recognize your time is valuable and thank you for reading about me. I hope you will find me to be a good candidate for a position in your online Master of Science in Biology program and will consider me a wise use of your resources.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- From the beginning entering the gradate school was one of my main aims but the issue of how to fund my Ph.D. graduate school education was a major obstacle. In the Middle East there is an obvious lack of human rights and more particularly for women. Thus, it is quite hard to apply for a scholarship for graduate school and men have a complete advantage in any scholarship if existed. In 2012 I joined UWM as a second Bachelor degree in Biological science. I was fortunate to be a student in Dr. Timothy J.... [tags: scholarship, student, biology]
531 words (1.5 pages)
- Charles Darwin and Alfred Wallace's concept of natural selection and descent with modification helped shape the theory of evolution which holds as much weight as the theory of relativity per se. Evolutionary biology is the science devoted to understanding how populations change through time in response to modifications of their environment and how new species come into being by studying adaptation and diversity (Freeman and Herron 2004). Evolutionary biology has proved that all organisms have evolved from a common ancestor over the last 3.5 billion years.... [tags: Biology]
1498 words (4.3 pages)
- ... Overall, it was a great learning and challenging experience as it gave me an insight into how the concepts of different branches of engineering culminate to make a robot and required a host of activities including problem solving, research and team-coordination to achieve our goal. In my final year, I did a project named ‘Microcontroller Based Heartbeat Monitor’. The project strengthened my conceptual knowledge in area of programming the 8051 microcontroller to receive data from ECG sensors attached to human body for calculating heart rate with accuracy.... [tags: computing, concept, problems, applications]
957 words (2.7 pages)
- Supporting Statement. Please read the further particulars for the post before completing this section: these will describe the sort of skills, experience, knowledge, or abilities which are required (the ‘selection criteria’). Your skills and experience may have been gained though paid employment, voluntary/community work, domestic responsibilities, spare-time activities, and training. Your application will be judged solely on the basis of how your skills and experiences match the requirements for the post.... [tags: Job Application]
1305 words (3.7 pages)
- Archimedes once said, “Give me place to stand on, and I will move the earth”. I desire to leverage my passion to achieve new computational approaches to produce greater results with reduced resources (space, time). To answer the questions like Can something be efficient, yet small, easy and still perform herculean tasks. My area of interest is the study and contribution towards field of algorithms and optimized solutions. So I will undertake postgraduate study in Computer Science in Stony Brook University.... [tags: plan, experience, academics, engineer]
698 words (2 pages)
- The core curriculum of biology courses at the college level typically includes a lab component. Availability of biology courses, and their accompanying lab, can often be limited due to a shortage of the resources required to offer the lab. These resources include faculty time, laboratory supplies for the physical lab, laboratory facilities, and safety/training resources for lab technicians. Due to these limitations, the number of students that are able to enroll in hands-on lab training fails to meet demand.... [tags: technology, simulation, genetics]
1671 words (4.8 pages)
- ... My studies provided me with a fertile ground upon which I based the development of my interest in the mechanism of cancer growth and development. Moreover, tumor metastasis and its related development factors, such as those that lead to the metastasis from one organ to another, has further fueled my interest in taking a further study in the field. I believe that as a requirement to further specialization in cancer biology, both as a practitioner and a lecturer in the future, I have to acquire a full comprehension of the mechanism of metastasis of tumors, angiogenesis, and the factors that helps to regulate this process.... [tags: veterinary, animal hospital, masters]
556 words (1.6 pages)
- My application for a Master of Science in Computer Science at your esteemed university is a step towards attaining my goal to build a successful career in the I.T. industry by pursuing a master’s degree in computer science which will greatly help me to enhance my existing knowledge about computers and also to develop my overall personality with the must-haves of an I.T. professional. The fascinating world of computers was first introduced to me at the tender age of 10 years, in my fourth grade. We had a practical lab session every week in school in which we were taught about the basic peripherals and working of the computer.... [tags: career choices]
879 words (2.5 pages)
- My research topic is the controversy behind stem cellular biology. This topic is a very modern topic and it has garnered quite the negative persona by the masses. This negative connotation behind stem cellular biology is the reason I chose this topic. Rather than just following the herd and claiming stem cell is a dangerous science I would rather attempt to fully understand the science and form my own beliefs on this controversial topic. The research process has proven to be quite the learning experience in choosing reliable sources.... [tags: biasses, science, embryotic]
2138 words (6.1 pages)
- Biology is the science of living systems. It is inherently interdisciplinary, requiring knowledge of the physical sciences and mathematics, although specialities may be oriented toward a group of organisms or a level of organization. BOTANY is concerned with plant life, ZOOLOGY with animal life, algology with ALGAE, MYCOLOGY with fungi, MICROBIOLOGY with microorganisms such as protozoa and bacteria, CYTOLOGY with CELLS, and so on. All biological specialties, however, are concerned with life and its characteristics.... [tags: Biology]
2806 words (8 pages)