Throughout Chinua Achebe’s Anthills of the Savannah, there are several thematic elements used to express the corruption of the government in post-colonial Nigeria. Nigeria has been culturally changed due to colonial British rule. Colonial Britain has changed the way Nigerians govern, which has resulted in many coups throughout the timeline of Nigeria. The way and life now for Nigerians is very different than it would be without interference from outsiders. Anthills of the Savannah demonstrates the hardships that the people of Nigeria faced due to colonial British rule and corruption of their own government by using symbolism, foreshadowing, and, motifs throughout the novel.
Nigeria contains more historic cultures and empires than any other country in Africa. People were first known to inhabit Nigeria as early as 5 B.C. They first constructed a kingdom in the center of Nigeria, which is named Jos Plateau. This was the first of many widespread kingdoms of that region, but two centuries later it would extend to Bornu, which is located on the western region of Nigeria (Gascoigne 1). Nigeria was made up of mostly kingdoms until British colonized in the 1800’s. The Soko Jotojhad and Yotruba wars encouraged slave trade at the time the British were trying to abolish the slave trade. Slaves were normally traded for European goods such as guns and gun powder. At this time, the British encouraged trading palm oil over trading slaves. Many of the slaves that were exported to Britain were intercepted by naval ships and shipped to Sierra Leone to collect palm oil. Some Nigerians began to migrate back from Sierra Leone in search of their homes and trade. British missionaries were invited to follow the slaves back, and in the 1840’s they wer...
... middle of paper ...
...elf-Dependent Government: Post-Colonial Nigeria in the Era of
Globalization." HubPages. HubPages, 2014. Web. 13 Mar. 2014.
Infoplease. "Nigeria." Infoplease. Pearson Education, 2000-2014. Web. 13 Mar. 2014.
Jones, Jim. "AFRICAN HISTORY TIMELINE: Independent Nigeria." AFRICAN HISTORY
TIMELINE: Independent Nigeria. West Chester University, 1998. Web. 13 Mar. 2014.
Literature of Developing Nations for Students. "Anthills of the Savannah." BookRags. Ed.
Literature of Developing Nations for Students. BookRags, 2000-2007. Web. 13 Mar. 2014.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Voice in Things Fall Apart and Anthills of the Savannah In "Under Western Eyes: Feminist Scholarship and Colonial Discourse," Chandra Talpade Mohanty suggests a fundamental flaw in most western feminist analysis: the presupposition that women, "across classes and cultures, are somehow socially constituted as a homogenous group identifiable prior to the process of analysis." It is a flaw in thinking that results in "the assumption of women as an always-already constituted group, one which has been labelled 'powerless,' 'exploited,' 'sexually harassed,'etc., by feminist scientific, economic, legal and sociological discourse." For Mohanty, such erroneous thinking results in femini... [tags: comparison compare contrast essays]
2036 words (5.8 pages)
- Since its establishment, the United States has been an actively dynamic nation that has adapted to develop and protect the participant of its economy. In America’s history, two categories of economic governing bodies have taken the stage, democratic institutions and market-capitalist institutions. During each of America’s many past economic regimes, one of the two categories of economic governance classifications took dominance and looked to the shortcomings of the preceding regimes reacting to create, or diminish institutions.... [tags: community programs and control]
3088 words (8.8 pages)
- Explain the pathophysiology of acute renal failure. Include prerenal intrarenal and postrenal causes. According to the Mayo Clinic Staff (2012), acute kidney renal failure occurs abruptly when your kidneys lose their filtering abilities and cannot filter waste products from your blood. This is also known as acute renal failure or acute kidney injury. When this happens, high levels of waste may become accumulated in your blood and will alter your bloods chemical make up causing them to get out of balance.... [tags: Acute Renal Failure]
556 words (1.6 pages)
- When a market fails to generate public goods or unintentionally create externalities or give chance for the upsurge of monopolies or alienates parties by asymmetrical information or produces unwanted revenue distributions, the market tends to fail and it is called Market Failure. According to Wolf (1988), markets have frequent inadequacies and flop frequently, therefore providing the principle justification for public policy intervention. There are various kinds of market failure as described by Wolf (1988).... [tags: Economics, Externality, Market failure]
2420 words (6.9 pages)
- In Foucault’s idea, the art of governing is to bring economic considerations into political practice; to govern a country is equivalent to handle the economy of the entire country, aimed at promoting the economic development of the country and the welfare of people. Application of governmentality also exists in current education system; a series of management strategies is applied for controlling the education of students, this is not only simply from the government authority, but based on the globalized competition in education.... [tags: Foucault, economy]
2454 words (7 pages)
- ... Failure helps kids become stronger in real life problems. In the article Why we Need to let Children Fail the author states, Letting kids learn from their faults helps form resilience in children and is important in raising a, happy, confident, and successful adult in the end (Why We Need to Let Children Fail). Parents and coaches allow kids to develop important social and emotional skills when kids are get the opportunity to struggle and sometimes fail. Kids don 't know or appreciate how strong they truly are until they fail or cope with a loss.... [tags: Failure, Success]
771 words (2.2 pages)
- The pathophysiology of acute renal failure is divided in 3 different causes. Out of the 3 causes of acute renal failure pre renal is the most common. It may result in hypoperfusion and ischemia. Pre renal is caused by a sudden drop in blood pressure or renal interruption of blood flow from the kidneys from sudden severe injury or illness. Intrarenal is caused by direct damage to the kidneys either by inflammation, toxins, drugs, infection or reduced blood supply. Postrenal is a sudden obstruction of urine flow due to an enlarged prostate, kidney stones or bladder tumor or injury.... [tags: Pathophysiology of Acute Renal Failure]
884 words (2.5 pages)
- Savannah had been working on that bookshelf for months now, lovingly carving it, sanding it to perfection with dried cat tails, and she’d had blood moss sitting in shadow oil for a week to make sure it’d be the perfect deep-red varnish. She’d even gone so far as to grind black pearls into a powder much finer than sand to add to the mix to make it shimmer in sunlight. She flinched as the carrier piggle shot through the open window of her crafting room, narrowly avoiding the giant bookcase she’d been working on and slamming into the wall on the far side of the room.... [tags: Creative Writing Essay]
1612 words (4.6 pages)
- Savannah and Chloe Have you ever watched a friendship fall apart. It’s an interesting thing to experience. What’s truly amazing is that there are obvious signs, but few people recognize them in time to stop it. This is what happened to me. This is the friendship that I watched slide through the cracks. This is my story. Savannah and I had been friends since the second grade. We lived next door to each other. We were in the choir together. We walked home from school together. We were inseparable.... [tags: Personal Narrative Friendship Essays]
2446 words (7 pages)
- As I walked into the hot, sticky gym to say goodbye on the last day of the summer at Camp Glenn Taylor, the air seemed to be trying to smother me. Outside, the rain was bouncing off the sidewalks, keeping the campers inside that day. The kids didn't notice me at first. They were too busy chasing each other around the gym with the frenzy of being trapped indoors for a day. Then, someone spotted me, and I was suddenly swarmed by hugs coming from all directions. Wriggling through the arms of the other campers was Savannah.... [tags: Personal Narrative, Descriptive, Description]
1246 words (3.6 pages)