Animals have been used in scientific experiments for a long time to be able to understand and define how human body works and to cure certain diseases. However, most of the people are in disagreement to use animals in scientific experiments. They suggest using humans as test subjects with the drug trials. The first reason why humans should be used for drugs trials is that animals are living creatures that have rights to reject although they cannot speak in the human language. Moreover, they suffer and there are even people who try to animate their feelings by crying and trying to be like animals. Since people choose to and to be volunteered to be experimented on, it is not ethical to use animals instead. The first reason is animal rights, which are protected by humans. Some people are protectors of animal rights, they are the ones who love animals and might think that animals have the same rights as people (Gelpi, 1991). They don’t want animals to be forced into something that they probably wouldn’t be willing to do. The second reason is that even if the tests for drugs on the animals are successful, the drugs are not introduced into the market before being tested on humans (“Human Experiments,” n.d.). So, it is unnecessary to use animals in the first place because eventually drug companies need to find people to test their drugs. The third reason is that there are many diseases that waiting to be cured and many animals are wasted for the sake of creating appropriate drugs for those diseases. For instance since the 1980s many mice, rabbits and monkeys have been injected AIDS virus to find a solution to the disease but none of them developed the human AIDS syndrome (Anderegg, 2006). Instead people can ch...
... middle of paper ...
...atives to Laboratory Animals, 36 (3), 327.
The Humane Care and Treatment of Laboratory Animals. (1999). [e-book] Washington, DC: National Association for Biomedical Research. p. 2. http://web.archive.org/web/20080308163109/http://www.nabr.org/pdf/orange.pdf [Accessed: 10 Dec 2013].
The Nuffield Council on Bioethics. (n.d.). Animal research - What animals are used in research? [online] Retrieved from: http://www.nuffieldbioethics.org/animal-research/animal-research-what-animals-are-used-research [Accessed: 22 Nov 2013].
The Pharmaceutical Racket. (n.d.) [online] Retrieved from: http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/sociopolitica/esp_sociopol_brotherhood05.htm [Accessed: 12 Dec 2013].
Vijay, H. (2013). Look before you use!. [online] Retrieved from: http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp-features/tp-metroplus/look-before-you-use/article4942306.ece [Accessed: 6 Jan 2014].
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- When a dog is involved in an arranged fight they are one of two things, a fighter, or bait (Anti-cruelty). A dog fight is only over when one dog simply gives up, or dies, but almost always when one dies. Fights can last for hours at a time with the animals never slowing down. These animals are “trained” intensely for weeks before their first fight, and the “training” continues as their fights do. They are tortured in many different ways to gain a larger pain tolerance. Some dog fighters feed their dogs gun powder to fuel their anger before a fight.... [tags: animal testing, dog fights, pet abuse]
1127 words (3.2 pages)
- Animal testing : Why are animals being tortured. An English philosopher Jeremy Bentham once stated his question about animals “Can they reason?Can they talk. most importantly, Can they suffer?”(Peter Singer) Are animals born to be experimented . In fact,95% of animals are not protected by Federal Animal Welfare act[AWA] in experiments(The Hastings Center). Some people think animal testing is unjust because of how they treat animals and use animals. which is just cruel and inhumane. I mean why are scientists using animals when we can use humans for more reliable information.... [tags: Animal Testing Essays]
884 words (2.5 pages)
- Animal testing for human safety is inhumane and must be banned. Beloved house pets such as rodents, rabbits and even dogs are being tested on all over the world. These powerless and voiceless animals are intentionally given dreadful diseases to find cures while scientists could be finding alternative ways of testing instead of using our furry friends. Furthermore, the tests are not precise because there have been products found to cause cancer in animals but also cures human ailments. Why are humans authorised to conduct such inhumane things, who gave humans the power of heartlessly torturing feeble animals.... [tags: Negative Effects of Animal Testing]
663 words (1.9 pages)
- Ricky Gervais, an English comedian and actor, once said, "Dear intelligent people of the world, don't get shampoo in your eyes. It really stings. There. Done. Now f***ing stop torturing animals." (Gervais). Although people may receive Mr. Gervais’ words as harsh, his message contains truth, that people need to stop testing on animals. Animals need to stop being the center of laboratory and farm experiments, or at least given more rights to protect their general welfare and life. Scientists started using animals in testing in 1851 as a part of learning in the classroom at universities (ProQuest).... [tags: Animal Testing Essays]
3099 words (8.9 pages)
- At this moment, millions of animals know cold cages in laboratories as home, but why. Some of these animals are subjects for medical research purposes, while others are used out of pure curiosity and to test different products. Majority of these animals are used in painful experiments and are left in agony. While many of them die, a few animals survive, but these unfortunate ones wish they could be put out of their misery as well. Although scientists have resources they could use to lower the pain each animal endures and even alternatives of their test subjects, millions of innocent creatures are still suffering.... [tags: Animal Testing Essays]
1354 words (3.9 pages)
- Animal testing for human safety is inhumane and must be banned. Beloved house pets such as rodents, rabbits and even dogs are being tested on all over the world. These powerless and voiceless animals are intentionally given dreadful diseases to find cures while scientists could be finding alternative ways of testing instead of using our furry friends. Furthermore, the tests are not precise because there have been products found to cause cancer in animals but also cures human ailments. Why are humans authorised to conduct such inhumane things, who gave humans the power of heartlessly torturing feeble animals.... [tags: Animal Testing Essays]
648 words (1.9 pages)
- The common belief is that animal testing has accelerated science and medicine a great deal, but the truth is simple: animal experimentation has not cured a single disease. People have been misled into believing that animal experimentation is responsible for many “miracle cures” and “medical breakthroughs” for decades. The reason is very straightforward: animals differ from humans greatly—too much to be able to have accurate results from experiments. The only progress with infectious disease made in the 20th century was made through improved nutrition, hygiene, and public sanitation.... [tags: Animal Testing]
737 words (2.1 pages)
- Cosmetic and drug companies should stop animal testing. By animal testing, the companies not only violate the animals' rights (which is breaking the law), but their testing methods are hazardous which endanger the animal's life. Finally, the companies should stop animal testing because each year we lose hundreds of thousands of animals and could make a difference by stopping this cruelty. Stop the animal testing, and save a life. To start with, cosmetic and drug companies should stop animal testing their products.... [tags: essays research papers]
999 words (2.9 pages)
- The Irrelevance of Animal Testing The practice of animal experimentation began when religious leaders condemned the dissection of human corpses. Human experimentation and dissection is not opposed anymore but animal experimentation still continues. Almost all new products, from drugs to cosmetic products go through an animal experimentation phase, but they are not required to. Though it may seem to be a good option as opposed to human experimentation, it is not. Animal experimentation uses billions of taxpayer dollars every year, hardly has any scientific relevance, and animal experimentation causes a huge deal of pain, suffering and death to animals.... [tags: Animal Testing]
550 words (1.6 pages)
- When it comes to animals and their rights, there is a definite line between our needs and our taking advantage of those species that we consider inferior. As long as man has existed he has been carnivorous, and the same holds true for many other species of animals. Animals are a necessity to humans for survival, whether it be for food, clothing, etc. However, the unnecessary torture of animals through testing is not a necessity for human survival. When it comes to the needless torture of animals that we claim to benefit, the animals lives need to be taken into consideration.... [tags: Animal Testing]
1951 words (5.6 pages)