“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” (Johnson). According to Mohandas Gandhi, the United States will never be a great nation unless they start treating animals the way that we want to be treated. The U.S. treats their animals like disposable laboratory equipment, because during experiments animals are tortured, killed, and tossed in the trash. Animal testing must be stopped because of the wasted money, cruelty to the animals, and the unreliable results.
The U.S wastes billions of dollars every year on animal testing. Over a trillion dollars is spent on healthcare in the U.S. every year, forty percent of that is used purely for animal testing. A lot of institutes do not have enough money that they need to stay open, because they use to much of the trillion dollars to go towards animal experimentation. This makes their patients suffer; some places include community mental health clinics, prenatal care programs, trauma units, alcohol treatment centers, and drug treatment centers (“Bad Science”). This trillion dollars is funded by U.S. citizens by their taxes, donations to charities, the purchase of lottery tickets, and buying everyday things. Some of the charities that fund animal testing are American Cancer Society, March of Dimes, and many others, they use people’s donations to put towards animal testing (“Medical Testing”).
There is a single reason that animal testing is still around, money. The people that are testing on animals are making a ton of money from it, it is a multi-billion dollar corporation. When an experimenter tests on an animal, he receives money. The center where the experimenter works at, receives a percentage of that money and uses...
... middle of paper ...
... Only a couple percent of animals are actually protected under those circumstances and go through this torture that was listed above. For mice, rats, birds, and any cold-blooded animal, experimenters can do whatever they please to these animals, because they are not protected under any laws (“Bad Science”). These laws do nothing to protect helpless animals, and these terrible experiments need to come to an end.
Animal testing wastes money, is cruel to animals, and has unreliable results, it needs to be stopped. Billions of dollars are wasted everyday on animal testing, millions of animals are killed every day from animal testing, and from all those animals killed everyday, experimenters still only get a small percentage of these cures to work on humans. As Gandhi once said, our nation will never be great until we treat our animals the way that we want to be treated.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Should animal testing be banned. Now，animal testing is still a controversial subject, and the scientists are facing an increasing problem, which more and more people appeal to stop animal testing. The original purpose of animal testing was inventing drugs for human diseases. For example, Scutti (2013) states that 98 of Nobel Prizes awarded for Physiology or Medicine, 75 were directly dependent on research from animals. The four non-animal experiment prize winners were also relied on the data, which obtained from other animal research groups.... [tags: Animal testing, Animal rights, Medicine]
1269 words (3.6 pages)
- Animals are used in research to develop new medicines and for scientists to test the safety of the medicines. This animal testing is called vivisection. Research is being carried out at universities, medical schools and even in primary and elementary schools as well as in commercial facilities which provide animal experiments to industry. (UK Parliament) In addition, animals are also used in cosmetic testing, toxicology tests, “defense research” and “xenotransplantation”. All around the world, a huge amount of animals are sentenced to life in a laboratory cage and they are obliged to feel loneliness and pain.... [tags: Against Animal Testing]
1000 words (2.9 pages)
- I. Introduction to controversy and arguments from both sides One major topic that has been in question and is now currently being debated is the question whether or not animal testing should be banned. From source #2 “An estimated 26 million animals are used every year in the United States for scientific and commercial testing.  Animals are used to develop medical treatments, determine the toxicity of medications, check the safety of products destined for human use, and other biomedical, commercial, and health care uses.... [tags: Animal testing, Human, Animal rights, Mammal]
1178 words (3.4 pages)
- Animals are used as a part of experimentations in order to accomplish new openings. A few individuals think that it is satisfactory, while others contend that it is not moral to sacrifice animals for science. Estimated, that fifty to one hundred million of animals are used for tests in the world. Despite the significance of experiments, the quantity of animals and purpose of research are not under any control. Animals testing should be banned under a few circumstances; we can enhance the situation by using alternative ways such as replacement, reduction, and refinement according to International Society for Applied Ethology.... [tags: Animal testing, Animal rights]
1116 words (3.2 pages)
- The Humane Society has stated that many animals undergo immensely painful tests, such as: the deprivation of necessities, forced feeding, the infliction of burns and chemicals, physical restraint, neck breaking, and decapitation (Animal Testing). Animal experiments have been used for centuries to test personal products, cleaning tools, food, chemicals, and drugs (Animal Experimentation Driscoll and Finley). Contrary to popular belief, many of today’s experiments are unsupervised, leaving the animals subjected to torturous, cruel, and useless studies (Animal Testing).... [tags: Animal testing, Animal rights]
1741 words (5 pages)
- ... Pain relievers are not used when they are being killed which means they feel all of the pain. No living creature deserves to be treated as inhumanely as these creatures are treated. Because cosmetic testing is most commonly done on animals, people think it is the only way to have new products safely tested. There are many alternatives to testing on animals. One alternative is growing cells in a lab. “Almost every type of human and animal cell can be grown in the laboratory. Scientists have even managed to coax cells to grow into 3D structures, such as miniature human organs, which can provide a more realistic way to test new therapies.” (crueltyfreeinternational.org, p.1).... [tags: Animal testing, Testing cosmetics on animals]
1087 words (3.1 pages)
- Its’ another morning and the room is white. There are bars all around and the smell of cleaner is everywhere. Soon I see a person holding a tube of something. The person is coming towards me. Suddenly I’m out of the bars and sitting on a table. The person held me down and put the tube against me. It burns. I want to run but cant. My heart rate goes up and I start to tremble. This will be done several times a day with several different tubes. Law requires I get pain medication but it is minimal and wears off quickly.... [tags: Animal Rights ]
852 words (2.4 pages)
- Animal testing for human safety is inhumane and must be banned. Beloved house pets such as rodents, rabbits and even dogs are being tested on all over the world. These powerless and voiceless animals are intentionally given dreadful diseases to find cures while scientists could be finding alternative ways of testing instead of using our furry friends. Furthermore, the tests are not precise because there have been products found to cause cancer in animals but also cures human ailments. Why are humans authorised to conduct such inhumane things, who gave humans the power of heartlessly torturing feeble animals.... [tags: Negative Effects of Animal Testing]
663 words (1.9 pages)
- Did you know that the shampoo you use was probably forced down the throat of a rabbit, cat, or maybe even a dog. Each year, millions of animals are used to test how safe and effective products, such as cosmetics, are. They are genetically modified, force-fed harmful chemicals, blinded, scalded, and maimed. How could one not object to this awful cruelty. Animal testing should be banned because it is cruel, unnecessary, inaccurate, and expensive. The very first reason why animal testing should be banned is elementary: it is cruel and unnecessary.... [tags: Animal Rights]
538 words (1.5 pages)
- Ricky Gervais, an English comedian and actor, once said, "Dear intelligent people of the world, don't get shampoo in your eyes. It really stings. There. Done. Now f***ing stop torturing animals." (Gervais). Although people may receive Mr. Gervais’ words as harsh, his message contains truth, that people need to stop testing on animals. Animals need to stop being the center of laboratory and farm experiments, or at least given more rights to protect their general welfare and life. Scientists started using animals in testing in 1851 as a part of learning in the classroom at universities (ProQuest).... [tags: Animal Testing Essays]
3099 words (8.9 pages)