Angels are messengers of God in the Hebrew Bible (translating מלאך), the New Testament and the Quran. The term "angel" has also been expanded to various notions of "spiritual beings" found in many other religious traditions. (Wikimedia Foundation, Inc)These particular beings are said to serve, worship, and praise the almighty God, reveal God’s will to men, guide mankind towards the right path, protect his people during their lives on earth, and assist him in answering the prayers of his people.
The myths and legends of angels differ with each particular religion you look at but all base themselves around the same general ideas. Zoroastrianism led to Judaism. This religion divided the world into three parts. There was Hell which became the home of the devil and his followers, then Earth which was the residence of flesh and blood humankind. Next in the chain comes Heaven in which the angels and God reside, and the specific role of the angels is to serve God and do his will. They are supposed to punish wickedness and reward good deeds. Christianity follows the same general three tier universe; however, they see angels as purely messengers of God. They are created to bring forth his word to his children and accordingly bring strength an...
... middle of paper ...
... partiality, and to do nothing out of favorism. (Bible)
Anderson, Joan Wester. "The Mysterious Diver That Saved Her." Guideposts 28 June 2010.
Barker, Dan. Godless: How an Evangelical Preacher Became One of America's Leading Atheists. Berkeley: Ulysses Press, 2008.
"Bible." New International Version Bible. n.d. 1 Timothy 5: 21.
Boulanger, Lynda. Touched By Angels. 2010. 15 July 2010
Fechter, Kate. "Understanding atheism and agnosticism." Washburn Review 7 April 2010.
Flemming, Alexandra Rockey and Richard Jerome. "An African Boy's Healing Year." People 28 September 2008: 98.
Stonger, Jon. "What if an Atheist Saw an Angel?" Heretical Ideas 9 June 2009.
Wikimedia Foundation, Inc. Angel - Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. 15 July 2010. 15 July 2010
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Many things may come to mind when you think of the word, angel. You probably think of winged beings who sit on clouds all day singing and playing lyres. If you had thought that, you are wrong, very wrong. Angels are warriors of God, abiding by His Laws and His Laws only. They are protectors of earth and its inhabitants and sometimes, the destroyers. An angel’s importance may not be widely known, but their job for us will never be forgotten. Angels are pure spirits that were created by God. The English word, angel, comes from a Greek translation, angelos, meaning messenger.... [tags: church, old testament]
1335 words (3.8 pages)
- From the beginning of time, angels have played a significant role in Christianity and other western religions. Although, they are often seen as the supporting players in the scripture, they are an essential character to the nature of the stories mentioned in these scriptures. Therefore angels still play a significant role in Christianity and portray the character of a multifaceted and multidimensional divine being around the world (Patella 59). This development of the role of angels in the Christian Tradition doesn’t only have an impact through the stories read in the scriptures or from the portrayal of Angels in Christmas decoration or Christian movies, but they also serve an important purp... [tags: God, Christian tradition, Bible, Jesus, religion]
2570 words (7.3 pages)
- For centuries the subject and study of spiritual beings has been a hotbed for discussion and debate. Various religions and cultures fear and worship both benevolent and malevolent forces respectively. My intent over the course of this paper, however, is to clearly and succinctly outline the different classes of angels as created by the one true God, the role they play not only in the Word, but also in the lives of believers today, and the various reasons angels and the knowledge of angles is important to the believer.... [tags: satan, benevolent and malevolent forces ]
1068 words (3.1 pages)
- There is a certain mystery that lies within the meaning of angels. It is known that angels are among us. They are carriers of the messages from God (Gasparri 14). However, little is known about what and who angels are, why they are present, and even what they look like. They everything that human want to be and more (Stevenson 1). Angels go above and beyond the limitations of humans to give hints of what life is like in heaven or even hell. What are Angels. There are three creatures created by God.... [tags: essays research papers]
608 words (1.7 pages)
- A poll that was published in TIME magazine showed that 69 percent of people believe in Angels, 46 percent of which believe they have a personal guardian angel. Descriptions of these angels include a wide range of appearances. Some are only lights or a hovering golden halo; while others describe their angel as human, half human, or even animal. Angels are said to descend upon those who are in need of salvation (from evil or hell), or who need direction in life, in pain or suffering physically or emotionally, or to those who need simple things such as directions or a winning lottery ticket.... [tags: essays research papers]
666 words (1.9 pages)
- Angels Angels are defined as a typically benevolent celestial being that acts as an intermediary between heaven and earth and one who manifests goodness, purity, and selflessness (Angels). They are seen as good and helpful beings and have been known for giving human beings messages or signs from God. They have many virtuous characteristics to them and components that make them so interesting. These components include their origin, their reputation of always being good, their overall appearance, the several main and influential angels, and the rankings of different angels.... [tags: Religion]
966 words (2.8 pages)
- ANGELS God’s holy angels carry out a variety of tasks and deeds, as well as the angels of Satan. They carry out what the will of heaven is on earth when god Himself wants. Sometimes they appear as normal humans and sometimes with all the radiance of heaven shining upon them, and making known that a part of heaven is on earth. What I am going to try to explain is that I don’t think that angels have a role. I think that any angel does whatever heaven’s will wants it to do, when it wants it.... [tags: essays research papers]
1191 words (3.4 pages)
- Angels An angel is a pure spirit created by God. The Old Testament theology included the belief in angels: the name applied to certain spiritual beings or intelligences of heavenly residence, employed by God as the ministers of His will. HISTORY Are Angels ambassadors sent from God to guide us, protect us or bring messages from heaven. The word angel comes from the Greek word "angelos" which means messenger. The Bible says that God has appointed many angels to those who love God and call to Him, "Psalms 91:11 For He shall give His angels charge over you, To keep you in all your ways." The bible refers to different types of angels, with varying duties such as ugides, protectors, messengers... [tags: Spirituality Religion Christianity Essays]
5536 words (15.8 pages)
- 4 personality types taught by Angels Every person’s road to a success is different because every person has different personality, nature, ability, and sensibility. Therefore; although the law of success could be universalized, it is necessary to consider the law of success accordingly to different personality types. However, many authors of “how to succeed” books write about law of success basing only on their personality types. If a person has same personality type as author of “how to succeed” book, he or she may like and agree with the author’s approach to success.... [tags: Angels]
763 words (2.2 pages)
- INTRODUCTION God sent the angel Gabriel to Nazareth, a town in Galilee, to a virgin pledged to be married to a man named Joseph, a descendent of David. The virgin's name was Mary." --Luke 1:26-27, NIV Today we will look at some of the aspects of the Christian doctrine of Angels and their continued role in Christianity and humanity in general. We will discuss the origin of Angels and likewise Demons, their role in both the New and Old Testament and lastly we will discuss the activity of angels in spiritual warfare.... [tags: Spirituality, Angels, Demons]
1069 words (3.1 pages)