Android was developed in private by Google until it’s time for changes or an update, then the source code is publicized (Wilkipedia). This source code only runs without modification on certain devices, which is mainly the Nexus series (Wilkipedia). Adapted by OEMs to run on their hardware, the source code does not contain the often proprietary device drivers, which is needed for some hardware components (Wilkipedia). A graphic designer created the Android logo in 2007. Tasked with a project to create a universally identifiable icon, the design team had to create a specific inclusion of a robot in the final design (Wilkipedia).
Things such as easy multitasking, rich notifications, customizable home screens, resizable widgets, deep interactivity and adds powerful new ways of sharing and communicating. Android 4.0 is focused on bringing the power of Android to the surface to fo...
... middle of paper ...
Karch, M. (n.d). All about Android Ice Cream Sandwich-ICS. Retrieved from http://google.about.com/od/socialtoolsfromgoogle/g/All-About-Android-Ice-Cream-Sandwich-Ics.htm
Lehrbaum, R. (2013, March 4). Pros and Cons of using Android as an embedded OS. Retrieved from http://linuxgizmos.com/using-android-as-an-embedded-os/
Petric, D. (2011, December 23). Google Android OS 4.0 Review: Part 2. Retrieved from http://www.brighthand.com/default.asp?newsID=18474&p=2
Ralphael, JR. (2012, August 16). Android 4.0: The ultimate guide. Retrieved from http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9230152/Android_4.0_The_ultimate_guide_plus_cheat_sheet_
Wilkipedia. (n.d). Android (operating system). Retrieved from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_(operating_system)
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Apple vs Android When searching for the latest device you have a choice between apple, and android. These two are similar but very different. Infact these both have two different operating systems. For instance Apple uses IOS 9, apple phones can use this software. On android the software 5.0 is used. All these phones run different programs, you need to make sure that is the right phone for you. There are many different features and styles of phones you can get. Also these all come at a price. This paper will talk about all these topics to make sure you have an idea on what device you would like to buy.... [tags: IPhone, App Store, IPhone OS, IPod Touch]
1209 words (3.5 pages)
- The Android software stack is using hierarchical structure. As shown in Figure 10, the Android software stack is basically divided into 5 layers, which include Application Layer, Application Framework, Libraries, Android Runtime and Linux Kernel . Basically, the Linux OS and a set of C/C++ libraries are exposed through an application framework to service as well as to manage the Android runtime and applications . i. Linux Kernel Linux kernel is sitting at the bottom of Android software stack.... [tags: Technology, Mobile Application]
1197 words (3.4 pages)
- In an influential 2011 article, “Android: Changing the Mobile Landscape,” Margaret Butler, founder and CEO of a company that creates mobile applications, convinces readers that Androids rapid development through recent years making Android a huge success, winning hearts of both consumers and mobile application developers . In November 2007, an open platform for all kinds of mobile devices were introduced . This development is led by multiple companies under the umbrella of the Open Handset Alliance, which is a global alliance between technology and mobile industry leaders with an aim of developing and fostering a breed of innovation for mobile devices allowing a better user experience... [tags: IPhone, Mobile phone, App Store, Smartphone]
996 words (2.8 pages)
- SQLite in Android Applications If we look at the architecture of Android we come to know that SQLite is present in the libraries section as the resident or embedded Relational DBMS, which can be used in applications in which content provider is involved (Holla & Katti, 2012). Architecture of android application is given in the figure 1. It is important to store, use and modify data by using SQLite in the system because Android provides the facility of this database to the people so that they can access the information that are presents in the contact list or mainly in its main RDBMS.... [tags: SQL, Database, Database management system]
1708 words (4.9 pages)
- Have you ever wanted a phone that is personalized for you. Android was released in 2008, a year after iPhone. In 21015, there are 2.5 billion Android users worldwide, compared to roughly one billion iPhone users. The Android is better than iPhone because of customization, variety, and design. Firstly, Android is vastly customizable. One can customize anything from the text messages background, ringtone just the way you want it to the actual launcher of your phone. A home screen launcher is essentially the way you navigate through your phone and the appearance of the navigation.... [tags: IPhone, Mobile phone, App Store, Smartphone]
1020 words (2.9 pages)
- INTRODUCTION Thomas Edison once said, "To have a great idea, have a lot of them". The same mantra seems to be resonating within Google as they are always coming out of visionary and innovative ventures. Diversifying from their search engine, Google is now venturing to Self-Driven Cars and space balloons that act as internet routers for hard to reach. One of their revolutionary ventures at the time is a smartphone operating system (OS), the Android. With this, the report shall investigate the role of corporate venturing in keeping Google relevant in today’s volatile business environment, focusing on the Android OS venture.... [tags: Technological Advancements, Communication]
1348 words (3.9 pages)
- Android Incorporation, which was founded by Andy Rubin, Rich Miner, Nick Sears and Chris White in the year 2003, is acquired by Google in the year of 2005 . Android Incorporation is based in Palo Alto, California. After acquisition, it is operated as a subsidiary of Google and the founders (Andy Rubin, Rich Miner and Chris White) continue staying with the company . Andy Rubin has become the leader of the Android project at Google. The Open Handset Alliance (OHA) which comprised of chip makers, handset manufacturers (Samsung, Motorola, LG and so on), software developers, and service providers (T-Mobile) was formed by Google in November 2007 , .... [tags: Technology, Google ]
1539 words (4.4 pages)
- When it comes to mobile technology, things transform rather fast, and a perfect example is Google’s Android operating system (Ralphael, 2102). Android has evolved from a rough and limited beginner to a polished yet slick platform that is now dominating the smartphone market (Ralphael, 2102). Android powers more than a billion phones and tablets around the world. It’s customizable yet easy to use and since it’s created by Google, it seamlessly works with all the favorite Google apps. Android 4.0 is called “Ice Cream Sandwich”, which builds on things people love the most about Android.... [tags: technology, google, mobile]
1746 words (5 pages)
- ... All these things made Android different from any other operating system in many aspects like its performance, security, and usability. In 2003, Android was founded in California, U.S. by Andy Rubin, Nick sears, Rich miner, and Chris White. Later on, Android was bought in 2005 by Google who started working on it, and released a number of versions and updates in the original version (Deleon, 2013). The first version Android 1.0 was released in Sep 2008. After that, they started to name their versions after desserts since April 2009, and they were released in alphabetically order: • Cupcake (1.5) in April 2009 • Doughnut (1.6) in Sep 2009 • Eclair (2.0–2.1) in Oct 2009 • Froyo (2.2–2.2.... [tags: mobile devices, apps, smartphones]
796 words (2.3 pages)
- Two operating systems currently dominate the smartphone market, Apple and Android. It all started six years ago when Google launched its android system. However, its approach was much different. Google had made just the software, not the device, giving the software free to phone makers to alter and adjust in anyway they pleased to fit their over 70 different phones. Google believed that by offering it free, in the long run would create more internet friendly phones and more ad views for Google. I think that this strategy was successful due to the fact that Android is the world’s most popular operating system loved by many smartphone users.... [tags: smartphones, Google, operating system]
994 words (2.8 pages)