The story starts with Katya’s unnamed American suitor asking about her childhood and her encounters of Communism. He acts as if he is interested in her past, but is really just looking for a story to pass the time and to cut the tension in the room. When she starts telling her story not of Communism, but of her first sexual encounter her lover becomes impassioned. He gets the feeling that she is unintentionally delaying to tell her story. Throughout her telling the story, her admirer tries to unclasp her bra while idling listening. It is easy to tell that he is not interested in this story from this point. He just wants to try to distract her so he can have sex with her again. On her walk home she realizes that her lover was not interested in her past. She feels shameful for the way she had to lie to make the story sound better than what it really was. What she really wanted was for someone to listen to her real stories.
One of those stories was her experience with her first sexual encounter. However, the way she tells it is with less affection and tone then the way it actually happens. The experience was
short and brief. It was just a simple exchanging of looks and other body parts between her and a boy who napped next to her. Once her mother finds out she goes berserk. Katya’s mother lectures her to the point where the mother ends up locking herself into ...
... middle of paper ...
...she runs home crying. When Katya gets home she throws all of her clothes away. Again Katya feels no longer beautiful but worthless in the fact that she was being used as a battling ram.
Finally, Katya’s story ends with the same way that it begins. With Katya dissatisfied with her situation and feeling alone. Her American lover never cared for her past but only wanted to her an entertaining time wasting story. Her first sexual encounter ends with her mother locking herself in the bathroom wallowing in her own self-pity instead of focusing on how to deal with Katya. Her mother needs to try to help support Katya instead of thinking about how this is going to hurt herself. Then when she finally feels beautiful and begins to show signs of having some self-confidence and feeling beautiful, she is not looked upon as gorgeous but instead as a tool.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- In Lara Vapnyar’s short story, “Puffed Rice and Meatballs”, her character Katya shares stories from her childhood all relating to an indistinct theme. In the story, it portrays a feeling of unimportance and being ignored. Her stories starting from her lover asking about the horrors of communism, to a memory of a preschool nap, to a memory of standing in line waiting for puffed rice. Katya feels the emotional distress that unimportance and being ignored has brought into her life. The story starts out by Katya’s lover asking about the horrors of communism, and she realizes that he is not interested in her past but just trying to make small conversation to pass the time.... [tags: lara vapnyar, ignored, sex encounter]
558 words (1.6 pages)
- This study is about the preferences on rice varieties. We want to know what most of the household women/men prefer, is it the brand, price, or quantity for choosing from a rich variety. This study is about the preferences on rice variety in terms of: outlet selection, purchasing frequency, preferred size packages, preferred rice attributes, purchase decision criteria of most people who purchase rice products. Consumers have their own preference, but we want to focus on housewives/career women/men since they are business oriented and they know more in choosing the right products.... [tags: rice, rice grain, bred, rice plants]
2310 words (6.6 pages)
- 3 Steps to The Perfect Microwave Brown Rice Many people find that making small changes in their daily lives towards a healthier lifestyle is the easiest way to go; but all small changes aren’t so easy. For instance, have you taken the time lately to cook brown rice. Switching out brown rice for white rice is a step in the right direction, that is if you have the time to cook it. Brown rice can take as long as an hour to cook in traditional stove top methods; but what if I told you there was an easier way.... [tags: Water, Cooking, Boiling, Rice]
941 words (2.7 pages)
- ... Usually the extraction procedures are time-consuming, labour-intensive and costly. Current methods for the extraction of imidazolinone herbicides are mainly from soil and water media (Furlong et al., 2000, Bresnahan et al 2002, Ramezeni 2007). Recently, Chen et al (2009) and Rezaei et al (2011) have successfully develop extraction methods for the determination of some organochlorinated pesticides in fish samples. Solid phase extraction technique with various sorbents have been proven successful to determine the related imazapyr, imazethapyr and imazaquin in water and soil media only (Mohammadkazem R., 2007).... [tags: rice production, malysia, control of weeds]
1189 words (3.4 pages)
- In this article, the question of defining our national interest in regards to primarily national security but also economy and foreign diplomacy is put to the test. Former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice dissects and explains the Bush Administration’s approach to understanding and operating in the dangerous and ever-expanding world we live in. The article begins by explaining the importance of securing and maintaining positive and productive relationships with our global competitors. Rice explains the Bush administration’s approach to these tasks is seen as a necessity for American values and interests rather than the global interest.... [tags: United States, Barack Obama, Condoleezza Rice]
993 words (2.8 pages)
- Memnoch the Devil by Anne Rice Killing, kidnapping and battles, all parts of Memnoch the Devil by Anne Rice. The main character, Lestat, is a well-known and flamboyant vampire. In Memnoch the Devil, Lestat is faced with a grim reality, causing his world to collapse around him. He learns throughout this book, about the world, and the divine forces that encircle the world’s existence. This book illustrates how Lestat’s morals, ignorance and understanding are greatly affected by outside forces. In the beginning of the book, Lestat, the quick and cunning vampire referred to as “the Brat Prince” by his followers stalks a wealthy artifact smuggler.... [tags: Anne Rice's Memnoch the Devil]
662 words (1.9 pages)
- Till today rice, wheat, and corn, do not form the staple food for the vast majority of Papua New Guineans. Their carbohydrate needs are still fulfilled by sweet potato, taro, yams, sago and bananas. Agriculture began in Papua New Guinea (PNG) about 10,000 years ago as shown by archaeological research where starch was found on stone tools excavated in Kuk in western highlands. It suggested that taro was cultivated in Kuk at that time. A number of staple food crops such as banana, sago, taro, greater yam, highland and lowland pitpits etc.... [tags: rice, food crops, new guinea farmers]
1873 words (5.4 pages)
- Chinese Rice Farming Works Cited Not Included An ancient Chinese proverb reads, “Without rice, even the cleverest housewife cannot cook.” In a comical manner, this proverb illustrates an important point - rice serves an essential function to the people of China. As the pivotal mediator between the Chinese people and the rice they consume, the weather, climate, and environment has played an integral role in rice’s production and utility, as well as the importance it plays within the culture. Ironically, something so integral to Chinese society may not indeed be sustainable for the future.... [tags: China Agriculture Rice Essays Papers]
1121 words (3.2 pages)
- Flint Lockwood is the main character of cartoon movie adaptation of the book, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs. Flint is a young adult inventor who develops a scientific machine that is able to generate food with just a few commands typed into the computers software. However as a result of Flint’s recurrent miscalculations, this revolutionary machines is projected into the atmosphere over the island of Swallow Falls where Flint lives. At first this machine makes Flint famous and places Swallow Falls on the map.... [tags: Behaviorism, Classical conditioning]
1211 words (3.5 pages)
- Rice "…Finally, because South Carolina, from her climate, situation, and peculiar institutions, is, and must ever continue to be, wholly dependent on agriculture and commerce, not only for prosperity , but for her existence as a state…" (Boller, pg.110) -John C Calhoun: South Carolina explosion and Protest (1828) ᠋... [tags: Papers]
1027 words (2.9 pages)