The 2007 film Across the Universe take place in the late sixties depicted how American society was affected by the Vietnam War. The film involves music by the Beatles which also portrays the revolutionary feeling of the time period. The movie follows a group of twenty something’s each affected differently by the changing times. The film portrays the Detroit riots, the draft for the Vietnam War- fifth avenue Vietnam peace parade and the assassination of Martin Luther King Jr.
In the film it depicts the 1967 Detroit riots which broke out July of that summer due to racial tensions in the African American community. The riot lasted for five days with reports of notoriously brutal police force. In the film they show the city burning, people running for their lives and a little boy singing in the midst of all the chaos. By the Sunday of the riot the crowds began to fight back the police brutality and the city broke out in utter chaos with break-ins as well as the city burning. The governor was forced to call in the National Guard to attempt to regain control over the city, this only add...
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Movies have been an expressive way to showcase history, society, and art for many years. There are many different important aspects that go into creating a movie. These elements work together to create an entertaining piece of work that can connect to an audience. An important element of movies that help shape the meaning of a film is the soundtrack. The soundtrack is a selection of recorded music that can be synchronized to the film. There are five main types of soundtrack recording which include Musical film, Film scores, Pop albums, videogame sounds, and albums with dialogue and music.... [tags: Film score, Film, Soundtrack, James Newton Howard]
1059 words (3 pages)
- If I were conducting this interview this is the format I would follow and the questions I would ask this character. Hi Star Lord, also known as, Peter Quill, it is very nice to meet you. Your role in the adventurous fantasy action filled movie, Guardians of the Galaxy, is the “interstellar adventurer” (IMDb.com, Inc., 2016). You were abducted from Earth when you were very young, and now has to live within the Galaxy, which is a completely different lifestyle than what you did start to grow up with.... [tags: Culture, The Culture, Universe, Annihilation]
749 words (2.1 pages)
- Across The Universe is a story that takes you into the lives of the true flower children during the 1960s. Lucy (Evan Rachel Wood), Jude (Jim Sturgess), and Max (Joe Anderson), are on a journey to achieve peace, love, and happiness. Lucy and Max are siblings whose family is very wealthy. Lucy loses her first true love to the War in Vietnam and begins to spiral into depression. Her brother, Max, drops out of college against his family’s wish, and he and Lucy run away to New York City to escape their high class life.... [tags: Film, Movie]
1116 words (3.2 pages)
- Conceptions of truth and absolutes are difficult terrains to navigate, complicated by notions of relativity and perspective. In his autobiography “The Kid Stays in the Picture,” film producer Robert Evans writes, “There are three sides to every story: your side, my side, and the truth. And no one is lying.” The underlying presumption of statements such as this one may point to one possible reason for the allure of the unreliable narrator as a literary device. Such narrators provoke the discerning reader into questioning the very nature of the narrator and what might make one distinctly unreliable.... [tags: Fiction, Narrative, Novel, Lolita]
1673 words (4.8 pages)
- Heraclitus’ explanation of the universe was constant flux and opposition that explained everything that happened in nature. He uses a river as an example to explain that the water running is in opposition against the earth but this opposition creates the river, and even though the water in the river is never the same, it’s still a river. He also uses this observation in nature to justify the existence of strife and war because the need for justice and structure is created in accordance to that chaos.... [tags: Universe, Nature, Scientific method, Reality]
703 words (2 pages)
- Throughout the history, humankind have inherited and shared a universal pattern which induces a perception of categories known as archetypes. Humans have remained perplexed by the existence of the whole and often raised question like who created the universe. Or how was the universe originated. However, humans have virtually considered the creation of the universe by a creator god. Carl Jung, a Swiss physician describes this inborn proneness to have parallel thinking about certain categories among humans as an archetype.... [tags: God, Religion, Universe, Carl Jung]
861 words (2.5 pages)
- The movie industry is so important to our lively hoods. We dress up and go to premieres as if it was the most significant event that is the universe will ever hold. For 2 hours we snack on buttered popcorn and the sweet sour candy, and we live in a fantasy world. The emotions that run through our body feel realer than ever. It makes us connect. I cannot lie, but I simply can’t wait for the new Star Wars premiere. I will be buying my tickets as soon as possible. This movie has crossed into multiple generations and is a story line that everyone knows.... [tags: Film, Narrative, Movie theater, Entertainment]
727 words (2.1 pages)
- Analysis of Walking Across Egypt by Clyde Edgerton Mattie Rigsbee is the main character in Clyde Edgerton's southern style novel, Walking Across Egypt. Mattie is a seventy-eight year old widow with two middle-aged children. Living alone in a small house, she makes sure that everything is taken care of. She cooks, cleans, mows the lawn, and takes up numerous responsibilities with the church. She is a very caring person with many friends and a family that loves her dearly. At the time this novel takes place, Mattie is at a turning point in her life.... [tags: Clyde Edgerton Walking Across Egypt Essays]
944 words (2.7 pages)
- Movie Analysis of Friday Night Lights and V for Vendetta Every weekend moviegoers flock to the theatres and video stores alike to catch a ride on one of society's most entertaining elements. Action films are a rush to some enthusiasts such as myself. It doesn't take long before we find ourselves on the edge of our seats frantically munching popcorn as our mind is flooded with stimuli. The box office as well as the population were shaken to the core with the releases of two new hit action movies, Friday Night Lights and V for Vendetta.... [tags: Movie Film Analysis]
1440 words (4.1 pages)
- The Universe Luminosity is the amount of light that is radiated from a star. White light is the composition of all colors. In elements, the energy discharge can be displayed as light. Just by looking at the colors that are discharged, one may precisely identify the element. In understanding the universe, the Doppler effect is one of the most important tools. The Doppler effect is a shift in frequency due to a moving source. Skipping a rock on water would be an example of this effect. The circles would be off center because the rock is a moving source.... [tags: Papers]
2520 words (7.2 pages)