A lot of people think since Mars is much farther than the Moon that is would take a bigger spaceship to get there but this is not true. Researchers say that Mars can be reached with a small spaceship, like the one that took astronauts to the Moon, which would be launched directly to Mars (Zubrin). “According to Mars One’s mission plan, it will begin sending up unmanned craft by 2018, to establish a base and communications center, followed in 2022 by unmanned craft with settler supplies and also robots to begin assembling water and oxygen processing equipment” (Jordan). This process will then be repeated once the first crew reaches the Red Planet in 2025 (Jordan). The Mars One program believes it will need around $6 billion to send the four inhabitants to start the Mars colony and $4 billion to launch each of the following crews (Moskowirz). The timing of the launch needs to be at a time when Earth and Mars are an optimal distance to one another, however this only happens every 26 months and since Mars is much farther than the Moon, the journey would take around 8 months (Stoltz). The main thing that will make this a success is following a “travel light and live off the land” strategy (Zubrin). The plan to approach Mars like this is called “Mars...
... middle of paper ...
...f one day someone could create something that allowed people to talk to each other from Earth and Mars. Even though this seems out of reach I believe that with all the advanced in technology the future hold it will be possible.
Gutierrez-Mazzotti, Claudia. "UCSB Science Line sqtest." Scienceline.ucsb.edu, 2014. Web. 28 Mar 2014.
Jordan, Bryant. "U.S. Troops Sign Up to Become Mars’ First Settlers." Defense Tech, 2014. Web. 28 Mar 2014.
Moskowitz, Clara. "Want to Live on Mars? Private Martian Colony Project Seeks Astronauts." Space.com, 2014. Web. 28 Mar 2014.
Thompson, Ann. "Would you go to Mars?." Wvxu.org, 2014. Web. 28 Mar 2014.
"Explore the planet Mars with realistic Mars habitats, rockets, ground cars and robots."Exploremarsnow.org, 2014. Web. 28 Mar 2014.
Zubrin, Robert. "The Promise of Mars, by Robert Zubrin." Nss.org, 2014. Web. 28 Mar 2014.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Crew mission to mars Science and Engineering A crewed mission to Mars would be the pinnacle of one of the breathtaking engineering endeavors of mankind in its entire history. This would require technological capability, engineering ingenious, and organizational infrastructure of the kind that must be refined through decades of drudgery and experience in operating space systems. Crewed missions to Mars would require to tackle unique challenges in logistics, operations, resources and environments at scales that have not been encountered before.... [tags: International Space Station, Human spaceflight]
1348 words (3.9 pages)
- Mars Buzz Aldrin once said, “By refocusing our space program on Mars for America’s future, we can restore the sense of wonder and adventure in space exploration that we knew in the summer of 1969. We won the moon race; now it’s time for us to live and work on Mars, first on its moons and then on its surface.” The possibilities and questions about if life on Mars, the red planet in the solar system, have been around for years. With new research, this possibility is becoming a more of a reality everyday.... [tags: Mars, Water, Colonization of Mars, Life]
1812 words (5.2 pages)
- For decades, humans have wanted to see more of the planet we call Mars, the red planet. There have been many successful attempts to get a glimpse of the interesting planet, and scientists are still working on a better solution to get there. The first rover to explore Mars was "Mariner 4", which arrived on November 28, 1964. It was a spacecraft designated to orbit the planet of Mars, but not to land. It lasted for about 8 months, and was not able to survive much longer than that due to the conditions on and around Mars.... [tags: Mars Rover Design]
2782 words (7.9 pages)
- Today health care systems are expected to meet set standards and core measures to earn everything from accreditation and recognition to payment. Reports need to filled to accomplish this, as well as what is being done to improve areas that may not be meeting standards. One way this is done is by utilizing dashboards. The purpose of this paper is to analyze the data from a dashboard and develop a nursing plan for improvement of a low scoring area. Analysis of the Data The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) have recently begun requiring hospitals to report to the public how they are doing on patient care.... [tags: Health Care]
1319 words (3.8 pages)
- The notion to colonize Mars is believed to be a long shot but researchers believe it is possible. It’s crazy to think that one day there could be another planet like Earth. However, the researchers have been figuring out ways to do it. Mars is about 35 million miles away from the earth so one of the hardest parts of it all will be getting there. If life was constantly evolved on any of the other planets, Mars is the probable contender. Other than Earth, Mars is the planet with the most welcoming climate in the solar structure.... [tags: Mars, Earth, Planet, Sun]
1070 words (3.1 pages)
- Terraforming Mars is the process of purposely changing the known properties of Mars to satisfy safe human habitation. In order to do this, we would have to use a 1000-year timeline. A thousand year timeline is best because it would give humans the time needed to change the atmosphere of Mars, change the temperature of Mars, grow food, and more. In order for the terraforming process to work, humans must permanently live on Mars for. For humans to permanently live on Mars, a fuel source must be used.... [tags: mars, human habitation, co2 atmosphere]
1154 words (3.3 pages)
- As the world population grows at an astonishing rate, our mother earth is getting very crowded. Our natural resources are being overused and the land available for life is getting smaller and smaller. Farmers have to find ways to make what land they have usable and profitable. Farmers in general are a shrinking population. How does this relate to the general public. Without farmers we would not have food, without food we will all die. The world is realizing this problem and the best way to solve it is to find more land for habitat.... [tags: Environment Mars Planet Life Essays Papers]
973 words (2.8 pages)
- Mars: Is There Life Out There. Since 1976, when the Viking Landers took off toward the red planet, people have been wondering if there is life on Mars. There have been questions of pictures taken from Mars and skepticism about why some of the recent landings have failed. Scientists, up till now, have been doubtful about life on Mars. Everything changed on August 7, 1996, when NASA and President Clinton told the world that a very primitive life form had been found in a meteorite, from 1984. President Clinton had this to say about the matter: “This is a product of years of exploration and months of intensive study by the world’s most distinguished scientists.... [tags: essays research papers]
751 words (2.1 pages)
- Mars is the fourth planet from the sun at about 228 million-km (141 million miles) and the last terrestrial planet from the sun. The next five planets in order from the sun are gaseous. Mars follows closely behind Earth but is comparatively smaller, with about half the diameter of Earth and about one-tenth of Earth’s mass. Thus the force of gravity on Mars is about one-third of that on Earth. Though it is much smaller, Mars does have the same surface land area as Earth. Other than Earth, Mars posses the most highly varied and interesting known terrain in our solar system.... [tags: essays research papers]
1047 words (3 pages)
- Mars In today's world, there exist many problems that affect the way human beings live their life. Human beings struggle through life, with a dream of high standards, which they try to pursue, but can not obtain. This form of hopefulness is called Utopia which the dictionary defines as: "having impossibly ideal conditions especially social organization; a place of ideal perfection in laws, government, and social conditions." Every person has their own idea of an ideal community of perfection, but one that I believe could be and ideal community would be life on Mars.... [tags: essays papers]
1097 words (3.1 pages)