Carl’s mom had pulled out a dozen white, water stained boxes from under the basement stairs. In the boxes were an assortment of colorful, bright orbs you could see your own misshapen face in. Carl sat down on the couch in front of his tree. He was breathing heavy, sweating, and his heart was pumped, and pulsated in his head. Swinging his feet to the music, unable to sit still he looked at his mom as she opened the first box of ornaments.
“Let me, let me.” Carl jumped up and grabbed the first one his mom pulled out.
Carl dropped the ornament, it hit the worn carpet, but did not shatter. He looked over at his father. Nothing, his father sat in the recliner and just smiled at Carl. Their eyes locked, and for the first time, he saw his father. His father’s face was misshapen as if Carl was looking at it in the reflection of a shiny Christmas ornament. Carl did not look away. Carl’s heart slowed, his breath become steady.
“Carl, Carl, are you going to put that on the tree?”
Carl looked up at his mom and said, “Where?”
“Anywhere dear. It’s your ornament.”
Carl looked at in his hand. It wasn’t like the other ornaments. This one was round and shiny, but it had, made from glitter, his name on it, Carl. He walked over to the tree, and placed his own ornament on the lowest branch.
Two o’clock in the m...
... middle of paper ...
...not snow last night, but I bet there is still some good packed snow over by Lake Logan Mill.” Carl looked up at his dad and smiled.
“Yeah, there sure is. I was walking up on the hill, fell and slide down on my ass,” Mike said.
Mother looked at him, “Really Mikey. After breakfast you both go out and play.” Mother got up and went on into the kitchen.
Carl had a rope tied around his waist and the other end to the sled. He pulled the sled along the street and then off onto a side path that went straight up the large hill that overlooked Lake Logan Mill. Mikey was in front to guide the way. Once at the top Mike turned back toward Carl. Carl was a few feet behind him his breath was heavy. Carl looked up, smiled, and then fell flat on his face. He was planted straight down in the snow. Mikey turned him over and Carl looked up at his brother and said,
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Elie Wiesel asserts that the world community has a responsibility to interfere then acts such as genocide occurs. He asserts that “silence encourages the tormentor” and “indifference, the most insidious danger of all”. This is supported by his book “Night and works by other authors, such as Refugee Blues aby W. H. Auden and A Secret Life by Thomas Harding. They all mentioned how injustice affects the victim, The price of speaking out or acting against injustice, and the price of silence and inaction in the face of injustice.... [tags: Elie Wiesel, The Holocaust]
1004 words (2.9 pages)
- Character Change in Night The book, Night, by Eliezer (Elie) Wiesel, entails the story of his childhood in Nazi concentration camps all around Europe. Around the middle of the 20th century in the early 1940s, Adolf Hitler and his Nazi army traveled around Europe in an effort to exterminate the Jewish population. As they went to through different countries in order to enforce this policy, Nazi officers sent every Jewish person they found to a concentration camp. Often called death camps, the main purpose was to dispose of people through intense work hours and terrible living conditions.... [tags: Auschwitz concentration camp, Adolf Hitler]
1208 words (3.5 pages)
- Hopping and swinging, Carl danced with his two favorite people in the world. Around and around, holding on to his brother’s hand with his left and his mother’s hand with his right, Carl’s face was lit up, and red with excitement. The only thing that made the night better was the Christmas tree his father had brought home. It was the first Christmas Carl could remember where he had his own tree, inside his own house. Carl’s mom had pulled out a dozen white, water stained boxes from under the basement stairs.... [tags: Christmas tree, Christmas, Christmas ornament]
953 words (2.7 pages)
- (Kate was looking forward to her date with Sonny at 6:30pm. He gave her his home address so she knew where to go. Kate had asked him earlier what his dish was going to be. He asked her what she liked eating. She mentioned at a fancy place like Olive Garden, she eats Shrimp Fettuccini Alfredo. He couldn 't help but be impressed as he enjoyed that, too. He promised her that is what he would make her. He asked her to be at his place by 6:30pm, which she agreed to) (Both wondered privately what it 'd be like to kiss the other...what the kiss would taste like.... [tags: Debut albums, 2005 singles, English-language films]
1584 words (4.5 pages)
- ● ◊ ● ◊ ● ◊ ● ◊ ● ◊ ● ◊ ● ◊ ● Five hours later I 've got the perfect tan to set off the rest of spring break as I stand waiting by the window in the living room. The bonfire would be starting in about an hour and I was waiting on Mason and Leighton before heading down to help set up. As I watch the sun over the trees I see Mason walk down the stairs into the living room. "You look great." I shrug, glancing down at my outfit. It consisted of high-waisted denim shorts, a Jack Daniels tank top, a red and black buffalo checked shirt, and a pair of vans.... [tags: 2007 singles, 2005 singles, Debut albums]
1771 words (5.1 pages)
- The night grew quiet as the streets of Williamsburg, Virginia filled with nothing. Nothing but the wind and the sudden rustle of bags grinding the floor,11:29pm... “Can we leave now?!” Hale exclaimed. She wore a white dress with some red bow tied to her brown hair, it sustained her “10 year old girl” ponytail into place.Her eyes have a syrup color to it. My dad says she looks like my mother, I last saw my mother about 2 years ago when she passed away, my dad always says that with the departure of my mother another came to be, my sister Hale, then he smiles and rubs his eyes.... [tags: Man, Boy, Mother, BOY]
915 words (2.6 pages)
- Ms. Emily was correct. There were two spirits here, one good and the other evil. She suspected the good one is Sean, but who is the evil one. She returned her concentration to Denise. “The spirit who occupies this space stays in the darkness. It is darkness. The spirit who resides here is proud. I sense they lived a privileged life. What I hear is revenge. It wants to exact justice for a personal slight.” Denise said this spirit was proud and felt entitled. That could fit the description of Lacey’s husband or Lacey herself.... [tags: 2008 singles, 2005 singles, 2009 singles, Want]
1764 words (5 pages)
- Tillie 2:28 am. I’ve always had strong faith. It’s something that I’ve always heard, but I forgot all of the scripture that I learned and pleaded. Bring him back. Live. Live. God, please let him breathe. Bring him back. Just let him stay with me. They said that he wouldn’t survive the night. The doctor’s at Grady Hospital had said that the weeks before that after he was hit by a car while riding his motorcycle leaving him in critical condition. “He’s survived this long. So, we will see,” I hung up the phone, rolled over, and stared at the popcorn ceiling.... [tags: 2005 singles, 2008 singles, Want, Debut albums]
1914 words (5.5 pages)
- Fíli turned his back on Dale and returned to Erebor that very night. Kíli was to tell Thorin and anyone who enquired that his brother’s old injury was troubling him. Since they were to be leaving Dale the very next morning Fíli’s absence would surely go unnoticed… at least, by most. Kíli watched dismally from atop the rebuilt stone battlements as the lone ram and its traveller slowly trekked their way along the moonlit path between Dale and the Erebor. "What are you thinking?" Tauriel asked softly as she stepped up beside him, as swift and silent as the night breeze.... [tags: Debut albums, 2004 albums, Marriage]
1666 words (4.8 pages)
- Elie Wiesel's Night "It's over. God is no longer with us." Ang "It's over. God is no longer with us." ang isa sa mga mabigat na binitawang salita ng isa sa mga "rabbi" na kasama ni Wiesel sa "concentration camp" noong nakaraang ikalawang digmaang daig-dig. Ang librong Night ay tungkol sa karanasan ng hudyo na si Elie Wiesel sa kamay ng mga Nazi. Bata pa lamang siya noong dinala siya kasama ang kanyang pamilya sa Auschwitz. Dito na nagsimula ang isang napakahabang pagbabago na naranasan ni Wiesel.... [tags: Book Analysis Wiesel Night]
1360 words (3.9 pages)
- Persuasive Speech - Original Writing
- The Civil War And The United States
- The Drug That Physicians Prescribe Help Children And Adults With Hyperactivity And Attention Problems
- Analysis Of The Poem ' Kitchenette Folk ' By Gwendolyn Brooks
- Study Cellular Communication And Behavior Of Organized Cellular 3d Microenvironments
- Free, Home Of The Brave