We Talk about When We Talk about the south. South has an intense culture as different type of
people are living here. These cultures are unique in their own way. The reading also talks about
the culture of the south is disappearing day by day. The cultures have been leaking little by little.
The festivals what we celebrate today may not be celebrated after 20-25 years. After each
successive time, something new is introduced and something old is disappearing. The culture
that is important today may not be important after some period. He further says in his reading
that his identity of southern is diminishing in each consecutive visit to his house. The way of
doing the things is a bit different than the last year. Each time we something new is introduced.
In the article “Column causes the Great Possum Predicament” Robert St. John experienced that a
people from the south people eat possum but he has never seen one eating possum even living in
the south for many years. He was surprised to know that some people in the south people eat
possum. South have a cultural diversity and is unique. In the south various people are living
having different aspect of south. People may eat different types of food in the south as we may
not know even after living in the south. A typical southerner may not know everything that
people do in the south despite living there. Yes, a southerner may not have full knowledge of
south. Every south people may have their own different culture. There are not any specific or
authentic culture on the name of south.
“The south for these Southerners is-as it was for the William Faulkner and Thomas Wolfe- a
place to love and a p...
... middle of paper ...
...ualities which a typical southerner has. If a
southerner is raised by a pure southerner and their generation have followed the original culture
and are still preserving it then they will know much about the south fully. They will have almost
full knowledge about the south. And their culture may resemble the typical south but it is very
As for me the south is a place of good people, strange cloud structure, trees a beautiful place full
rich in culture. But south is a place where different groups of people from different part of the
world live and their culture is totally different with each other. So, their culture may have been
introduced newly in the south and sometime later will be mixed with the south. And their future
generation will not know about the mixing of culture but will be taken as new culture. A typical
southerner may not know all about the south.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Sacred Rage in The Fifth Column In The Fifth Column, the hero, who has become finally indistinguishable from the false or publicity Hemingway, has here dosed himself with whiskey; a seductive and desirous woman, for whom he has the most admirable reasons for not taking any responsibility; sacred rage; the excitement of bombardment; and indulgence in that headiest of sports, for which he has now the same excellent reasons -- the bagging of human beings. You may be afraid, after reading The Fifth Column, that Hemingway will never sober up; but as you go on in the new volume in which it appears, which includes also his most recent short stories, you find that your apprehensions were unfoun... [tags: The Fifth Column Essays]
1599 words (4.6 pages)
- The Predicament with Amnesia Amnesia is a type of memory loss that one develops in certain situations. It does not mean, however, that one forgets their self-identity. It states that those who have amnesia only have the trouble of acquiring new memories or forming new memories. Some causes of amnesia are damage to the brain structures that form the limbic system, which is where your emotions and memories are controlled, those who have Alzheimer’s disease, seizures, strokes, tumors in the area of the brain that controls memory, and also alcohol abuse.... [tags: memory loss,retrograde amnesia,anterograde]
1095 words (3.1 pages)
- ... If we did not have these components separately we will be able to do the simplest things in our daily life. For example, gasoline and diesel are used to fuel engines in automobiles and higher vehicles. Purifying mixture For example if a mixture is of oil and dirt we could distill the mixture which leaves the dirt separately. For example, if we have dirt in oil that we got from distillation of crude oil from its component we can purify it and make uses of the oil. Desalinizing water In the gulf countries, industries distill ocean water into portable water because of the absence of lakes and natural resource of clean water.... [tags: uses in different industries]
1942 words (5.5 pages)
- The Ionic Column Throughout history, art has become the main source for entertainment, enlightenment, and acknowledgement. It entertains those who are bored in the everyday life. It enlightens those who seek another world and those who seek beauty with wild imaginations. It acknowleges those who seek development in nature and their own world. From the cave drawings of Paleolithic art in Lascaux , to the Ancient Egyptian pyramids, and to the classical Greek sculptures, art is a never ending cycle of productions and reproductions passed on from one generation to the next, and from one culture to the next.... [tags: Art Columns Architecture History Essays]
1988 words (5.7 pages)
- Introduction: The Australia Brushtail Possum (Trichosurus vulpecula Kerr) is an introduced pest to New Zealand. Devices are set up to detect the presence of possums in certain areas. This information is used to determine where possum control is necessary and how effective it has been. Other than trapping, the most common detection devices are wax tags, and chew-track cards. The latter of the two being a rectangular piece of core flute/corrugated plastic, into which a bait (usually peanut butter) is forced down the flutes and then nailed onto a tree.... [tags: Biology]
2763 words (7.9 pages)
- Chapter 11 The Skeptic: David Hume 3. What is Locke’s “Egocentric Predicament?'; The Egocentric Predicament is a problem associated with our ideas and how we perceive the world. Locke believes all knowledge come from personal ideas; these ideas are based upon our perception of the world. However, if we only see the world based on our own ideas how can there be any external or objective world. This begs questions similar to; can I really know an objective world exists.... [tags: essays research papers]
482 words (1.4 pages)
- The vertebral column is made up of 33 vertebrae that unite together to form a singular structure. The Vertebral column lies in the middle of the body, from the base of the skull to just below the hip bones. The vertebral column is split into five separate sections. The Cervical, made up of 7 vertebrae, Thoracic, 12 vertebrae, Lumber, 5, Sacrum, 5 fused vertebrae and the coccyx, 4 more fused vertebrae. Each individual vertebral are separated by interverbral discs are joined together by ligaments and muscles.... [tags: Anatomy ]
1871 words (5.3 pages)
- A pregnant woman patiently waits in an office for doctors to call her up. As she is called up, she feels very nervous and tense. She is told by the doctors to prop her legs on the bed as they get out their surgical devices. Several minutes later, she finds herself being operated for an abortion and sees her newborn being pulled out of her. Unfortunately, it is dead, lifeless, and decapitated. It is later discarded into an incinerator and the mother leaves casually to her home. This situation happens every day and it is seen as a common action like taking a walk.... [tags: Social Issues, Abortion]
1122 words (3.2 pages)
- The Greek Column A French champagne cognac with a Centaur trademark, called Remy Martin, is featured in several magazine advertisements resting on a column in various positions. The one being analyzed in this article shows the bottle of Remy Martin and a pair of glasses placed on top of a column so tall that it reaches above the clouds. It invites the viewer: "Want to come up for a drink sometime?" At the bottom right corner, the Centaur logo is repeated, along with a short description of its origin and a complimentary video offer.... [tags: Architecture Architectural Essays History]
1596 words (4.6 pages)
- In The Predicament Ije was faced with different predicament when her father died, she was sexually abused. Onenenyi who was ije's father paid more attention to ije than his other children, which lead to the other children not liking ije. Even the villagers use to praise ije in the presence of his father in order for the man to give them there demand. Ije's father had diabetes and when he was in the hospital, ije was always crying for his bad health. When her father died, people said all sort of things to her because she didn't cry during the funeral.... [tags: Book Reviews]
1390 words (4 pages)