On December Fourteen 2012 Adam Lanza allegedly drove to Sandy Hook Elementary, his old elementary school, and shot and killed twenty-six students and faculty, then turned the gun on himself before apprehension by police. The shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary was a tragic event, it’s hard not to sympathize with the families of those killed. There is a movement, however, that claims the shooting was fake (Spaeth). IT’s believed the shooting was staged in order to pave the way for stricter gun control (Salazar). Conspiracy theorists, calling themselves Truthers, have provided evidence to support their claims numerous times in attempts to convince the general population.
Truthers start by pointing out the FBI Crime Report in particular where the report shows the number of murders in Newtown, Connecticut was zero for 2012 (Salazar). They defend this further by presenting the same report for the town of Aurora, Colorado, the location of the shooting at the premier of The Dark Knight Rises, which resulted in twenty nine fatalities as is noted in the FBI report (Salazar). They ask why the FBI would say there were no murders in the Newtown shooting and clearly show the fatality’s in the Aurora shooting (Salazar). They say the state government falsified the shooting but the FBI wasn’t willing to commit to the act.
The conspiracy also involves Emilie Parker, one of the victims. The claim is that she, postmortem, appeared in pictures with President Obama during his visit to Newtown (Ross). She is seen in Figure A with her family. Figure B shows her clearly alive, in the same dress as she is wearing in Figure B, with the President. They claim this is concrete evidence of her being alive and well (Rosso).
... middle of paper ...
...t up when some information was reported to the press. Therefore many news agencies falsely reported the weapons used. Ironically, the New York Times misinterpreted the original public briefing and reported correctly that the killings were done with the rifle (Mikkelson) (Stuart).
The SSA misreporting of Lanzas death may not have been their fault at all. The SSA relies completely on the reports sent to them. The person who filled out the reports, or anyone who may have seen them afterwards could have made the mistake and the SSA produces its information based on the false report (Stuart).
The Truthers have been beaten back by the evidence of the opposing forces, but they remain bent on proving the shooting as a fake. The government, victims’ families, and various supporters all try to pave their version of the truth, only to be constantly undermined by the Turthers.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Sandy Hook Shooting Conspiracies On December Fourteen 2012 Adam Lanza allegedly drove to Sandy Hook Elementary, his old elementary school, and shot and killed twenty-six students and faculty, then turned the gun on himself before apprehension by police. The shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary was a tragic event, it’s hard not to sympathize with the families of those killed. There is a movement, however, that claims the shooting was fake (Spaeth). IT’s believed the shooting was staged in order to pave the way for stricter gun control (Salazar).... [tags: Police, Federal Bureau of Investigation]
1294 words (3.7 pages)
- ... With the combination of college and homeschooling by his mother, Nancy Lanza, Adam earned a GED. Throughout school, Lanza was known for his intelligence, but he seemed nervous to many. Teachers and other students took notice to the amount of friends he had. Lanza had no true friends throughout most of his life. Which lead to him being a homebody and resorting to other hobbies to get him by. Such as, spending time with his mother who was a gun enthusiast and took her sons shooting at ranges quite frequently.... [tags: school shootings]
1441 words (4.1 pages)
- Have you ever thought of questioning the Sandy Hook shooting. Well if you haven’t now is the time to do so. When people think of Sandy Hook, they think what kind of person would go shoot up a school and kill many children. Some individuals believe that it happened and some believe that the government was involved and had planned it all. People shouldn’t feel that way because it’s not a true tragedy. Why should the government make a big scene for nothing, there was not a point in making other schools in America feel threatened.... [tags: conspiracy theories, violence]
877 words (2.5 pages)
- On December 14th, 2012 at 9:35 A.M., at Sandy Hook Elementary School, there was reportedly a mass shooting that killed 20 children between the ages of six and seven as well as six adult staff members. Now even though tragedies like this one sadly happen quite often in America, I believe that the government stages some of them. The reason why the government would stage such an event is to distract the public from other issues that the government is having at that time. The reason why the government staged this particular shooting is so that they can push to have greater gun control and promote more anti-gun laws.... [tags: Firearm, Rifle, Sandy Hook, Weapon]
1504 words (4.3 pages)
- Nothing is more horrible then the atrocities that took place on December 14th 2012 in Sandy Hook Connecticut, when students at the Sandy Hook Elementary school were gunned down by twenty years old Adam Lanza. who suffered from an obsessive compulsive behavior, and had an odd fascination with mass shootings, when he entered the school carrying more than thirty pounds of ammunition and Lanza had three guns, one was a semi-automatic bushmaster rifle, and two pistols, Lanza then killed twenty first- grader students, and six adults, his mother being one of them, all in eleven minuets.... [tags: biased news, shooting, elementary]
937 words (2.7 pages)
- The deadliest school shooting to have ever happened in the United States at a high school or grade school, happened less than two years ago. On December 14th, 2012, Adam Lanza, who was twenty years old at the time, shot his mother, Nancy Lanza, four times and then brought firearms to his former grade school Sandy Hook Elementary, and fatally shot twenty children and six adults. Then the shooter put his own gun to his head and fatally shot himself. All of the children were between the ages of six and seven years old, and all six adults who were shot and killed were females who worked at the school.... [tags: United States, Mass Shotings, Gun Control ]
1244 words (3.6 pages)
- On December 14th 2012, just 11 days before Christmas, an awful tragedy happened in Newtown, Connecticut. Twenty-six people were shot at the Sandy Hook Elementary School. This awful event left a lot of unanswered questions and rumors about that day. The reason for that is because the shooter killed himself after shooting twenty young children and six adults. This tragedy open the eyes of everyone; made you want to hug your loves one just a little tighter, appreciate what you still have and never take a day for granted.... [tags: tragedy,violence, checks, gun sales]
2011 words (5.7 pages)
- Sandy Hook Candlelight Vigil This picture was featured on a CBS Pittsburgh news website. Its audience are the people that were affected by the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting and also people who are looking for information as to what happened on this day. It was taken on December 17, 2012, by Mario Tama/Getty Images. The purpose of this website it to show that the teachers worked hard to protect the children in their school, but the killing of innocent people could not have been prevented because of lack of security and resources to stop the shooter.... [tags: Photography, Emotion, Light, Vigil]
1402 words (4 pages)
- Guns often have a huge misconception when viewed by the general public. Big, loud, and unnecessary are often thoughts that go through peoples heads as they think of guns. The idea for this paper is to attempt to change what perception about guns that the reader might have. Whether it leads to the reader liking guns, disliking guns, or even just being indifferent about how guns are used. Americans need to understand that guns do not kill people, people kill people; examples of this are found in the Aurora Movie Theatre massacre, the Sandy Hook shooting, and San Bernardino shooting.... [tags: Firearm, Gun, Handgun, Weapon]
1239 words (3.5 pages)
- On April 8, 2013, President Barack Obama spoke at the University of Hartford on behalf of those who died in the tragic shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown Connecticut. President Obama addressed the people of the state of Connecticut and on a federal level. The broadcasting networks provided live coverage of President Obama’s speech, and a national audience listened as the president’s addressing the issues and the next steps forward for the country. The impact of this tragedy and previous massive shootings and Obama’s explanation have been a subject of a controversial debate.... [tags: Sandy Hook Shooting, NRA]
1786 words (5.1 pages)