Greece and China had many similarities, which centered on who should rule. For instance, both civilizations had a portion of their beliefs of good government centered on the personal characteristics of the individual. From the works of Sparta, we can see that they focused more on personal abilities of an individual and whether he showed enough qualification to lead them. According to the Spartan Constitution, a person in Sparta would look to another with strength with obedience and respect; as a result, the more strength and respect you can command, the better chance you have to lead (Reader 73). The Chinese can also be shown to center their views in this way by observing the Analects of Confucius which explain to us that the most moral individuals or in other words, the most humane and wisest, are the people who should be allowed to rule. For example, according to the Analects, Confucius says that ru...
... middle of paper ...
...nt even though they had similar beliefs in how one should rule.
Although similar to each other in some ways, ancient Greece and China had many dissimilar viewpoints about good government; these viewpoints can be broken down and analyzed to see how Greece’s views of good government were more focused on society while China’s views were more focused on spirituality and morality. Ancient China and Greece have been two of the most important and influential societies in recorded history based on what they have given us. However, their work in government has been most important because it has shaped the outcomes of societies around the world. We have only scratched the surface of something extremely interesting in this work; only by further developing our knowledge about these topics can we hope to develop new ways to cope with issues facing our world today.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- One of the trending topics nowadays is the cooperation with the current leader of Asia and one of the future world powers, China. Europe and China has signed many agreements in the last few years, concerning, culture, tourism and commerce. China’s undertakes over 1360 cultural exchanges a year. In recent years, it has also hosted many personalities of different countries (Vietnam, Venezuela and Brazil to study the Chinese model of economic development).Initiatives have been taken to meet these goals and enhance the global appeal of the Chinese culture.... [tags: exports, tourism, agreements]
1363 words (3.9 pages)
- Classical education is arguably one of the most influential educations in American history. Not only does it allow the student to study great literature of Ancient Greek and Roman writers, but allows them to develop both written and spoken language while learning of great men and their achievements. Without the knowledge of the past, it is impossible to look forward toward the future. To be considered an educated person in today’s society, it is imperative that one possesses an understanding of ancient Greek and Roman civilization.... [tags: Ancient Greece]
1598 words (4.6 pages)
- Introduction China is one of the most populous countries of the world with over 1.3 billion people and covering a geographical area of about 9.6 million square kilometres. It lies on the eastern end of the large Asia continent and enjoys a remarkably long coastline. It has a large economy, given the large population and a wide array of natural resources especially mineral resources which are the backbone of its economy. With a well cultivated constitution that was put in place by the largest political party, the Communist Party of China (CPC), China has reforms underway aimed at closing the otherwise wide gap between the rich and the poor.... [tags: China]
1288 words (3.7 pages)
- Has anyone ever stopped and observed that almost every one of history’s monumental societies aren’t around or at their full potential right now. Now, most of theses unique cultures only survive in the internet and books around the Earth. There can be multiple ways that each single society spirals into just a section of a different country or culture. But, there are only a few that can shape the entire downfall of the world’s greatest empires. Political corruption can provide less funds to the public and leave a society unsteady, and more unprepared for an incursion.... [tags: civil war, civilations, government]
1559 words (4.5 pages)
- The international community has already begun the application of the e-government system especially in some of the world's most respected institutions and has supported this concept. The United Nations has already issued their position on the idea of e-government as seen in the Human Development Report of 2001, stating that the institution will try its best to create technologies that would help in human development. The report has argued that using the ICT would enable the United Nations to establish the importance of having technology work hand in hand with development.... [tags: Government]
1141 words (3.3 pages)
- Analysis Deng Xiaoping During the year of 1978, China was in a horrible position. Chinese governments stop the improvement step and stay in the same position several years. This problem leads to Chinese governments had to face the choose one of the three pads situation. The first pad was keep walk the same pad and continues follow Mao’s Two Whatevers; the second pad was comprehensive Westernization and begin Capitalism; the third pad was emancipated people’s mind and build a modern and powerful socialist country by people in China.... [tags: Deng Xiaoping, People's Republic of China]
734 words (2.1 pages)
- Analysis of the US-China Trade The U.S. trade deficit has risen more or less steadily since 1992. In the second quarter of 2004, the trade deficit relative to GDP surpassed the 5 percent mark for the first time. Many economists already considered trade deficits above 4 percent of GDP dangerously high. The fear is that continued growth in this external imbalance of the U.S. economy will ultimately spook overseas investors. http://www.americanprogress.org/issues/2004/09/b193700.html The United States and China share the most imbalanced bilateral trade relationship in the world.... [tags: Trade Deficit Economics Analysis China]
1570 words (4.5 pages)
- Financial Analysis of Oracle Corp INTRODUCTION Background and History Oracle Corporation is a technology company that supplies software for the use of information management. They develop, manufacture, market and distribute computer software that helps other corporations manage their data so they can better grow and prosper. In 1977, Larry Ellison, Bob Miner, and Ed Oates founded System Development Laboratories. After being inspired by a research paper written in 1970 by an IBM researcher titled “A Relational Model of Data for Large Shared Data Banks” they decided to build a new type of database called a relational database system.... [tags: essays papers]
2599 words (7.4 pages)
- Greece Greece was founded in 3000 B.C. Greece is located in Southern Europe, bordering the Aegean Sea, Ionian Sea, and the Mediterranean Sea, between Turkey and Albania. Greece’s area can be compared to the size of the state of Alabama. Between 3500 and 3000 B.C., society was becoming more complex. Villages built during this time were becoming larger. However, the population increased at a slow rate. During the second millennium B.C. two Greek civilizations evolved - the Minoan in Crete and the Mycenaean on the mainland.... [tags: Ancient Greece Essays]
1681 words (4.8 pages)
- Greece Greece…most people think that Greece is just a vacation paradise, but to its inhabitants, they might not think the same because how hard it is to live there. Greece, located between 41.8 ° N and 35 °N, 19.8 ° E and 28.2 ° E, is the country I am going to inform you about. The country of Greece has no other name besides just “Greece.” There are some different technical names that Greece can be associated with. The conventional long form that you can call Greece is the “Hellenic Republic,” while the short form is “Greece.” The long form in Greek is “Elliniki Dhimokratia” and the short form is “Ellas.” The former country name is “Kingdom of Greece.” Greece’s capital is the largest and... [tags: Greece History Geography Greek Essays]
1457 words (4.2 pages)
- Foundationa Reading For Our Youngest Learners
- Hearing Impairment and Learning Disability
- New Approach: No Managers or Job Titles
- Explore How Stylistic Choices are used to Convey Key themes in the Films
- Bronchitis Treatments & Remedies for Acute and Chronic Bronchitis
- Insight Into How the German Culture Is