In 2005, Donald S. Whitney began as Professor of Biblical Spirituality and Associate Dean at The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary in Louisville, KY. Prior to this, He held a similar position at similar position Midwestern Baptist Theological Seminary in Kansas City, MO, for ten years. Whitney is the founder and president of The Center for Biblical Spirituality. Along with this book, Whitney has written a total of seven Christian books.
Summary of Contents
Whitney begins chapter one by describing discipline without direction as drudgery. He says that we must first understand what we shall become. The author notes that 1 Timothy 4:7: “Discipline yourself for the purpose of Godliness” NASB. He reminds the reader of the three primary catalysts God uses to change us. When Godliness is the goal of spiritual disciplines, they become a delight instead of drudgery.
In chapter two, Whitney talks about the intake of The Word. He says that we have to discipline ourselves to read the Bible. The author notes that Bible intake. He says that believers need to commit to at least one way of improving our intake of scripture. This is “a discipline to be cultivated (31).”
Chapter three goes into great detail talking meditating on The Word. The author says that meditation is commanded by God and is done by Godly people in scripture. Whitney also notes the importance of memorizing scripture. He describes the importance of applying God’s word as well. Whitney says, “The Bible promises the blessing of God on those who apply the Word God to their lives. (56)”
Whitney beings chapter four by discussing the discipline of prayer. The author explains that to be like Jesus, we must pray (66). He says that in scripture we can cl...
... middle of paper ...
... the author tried to break some of them apart instead of maybe grouping them together based on similarities. The thoughts he had regarding some of the ideas could have been better conveyed if they had been left together. However, because Whitney chose to break the disciplines apart the way he did, the reader would have benefited from each discipline being explained more fully so that there would be less repetition.
Whitney succeeded in writing very informative book that calls people towards godliness. The book is thoroughly saturated in scripture, and therefore, both convicts and encourages believers to pursue the spiritual discipline. It is both Biblical and practical help to draw the reader closer to the Lord. Overall, Whitney created a unique book that calls and convicts people to discipline themselves spiritually for the purpose of pursuing godliness.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Donald the Demagogue: Donald J. Trump, is known to many as the orange man who wags his finger down a long table of celebrities firing them left and right every Sunday night on NBC. To others he is known as the billionaire tycoon, who graces our headlines for remarkably insensitive or oddball remarks. All (not even possibly Mr. Trump himself), at least until now, viewed him as a possible candidate for the next President of the United States. But as polls indicate, and citizens across the country (both moderate and conservative) vote in favor of Trump, he may very well be sitting in the oval office come January 20th, 2017.... [tags: Donald Trump, Ivana Trump, Fred Trump]
1297 words (3.7 pages)
- Whitney Elizabeth Houston was born on August 9th, 1963, she sadly passed away February 11th, 2012. Whitney Houston ‘Queen Of Pop’ was born into a talented family the youngest of three, her mother Cissy was a successful backing singer her cousin Dionne Warwick a singing star and her godmother Aretha Franklin a soul legend. Whitney began her career singing in the gospel choir at her church, The New Hope Baptist Church in Newark, New Jersey. At the age of fifteen Whitney was singing backing vocals with her mother on Chaka Khan’s 1978 hit ‘I’m every Woman’.... [tags: whitney houston, pop queen, rehab]
648 words (1.9 pages)
- Political Essay Letting Donald Trump run our country would be like letting the Devil himself take over America. Trump was born and raised in Queens, New York. He was introduced to the business world at a very young age while working with his father on architectural developments in Queens, New York and Brooklyn, New York. His accomplishments include his TV show “The Apprentice”, a flourishing real estate business, and many successful architectural designs. On June 6th, 2015 Trump announced his candidacy for president seeking the nomination of the Republican Party.... [tags: Donald Trump, Ivana Trump, Mexico]
1064 words (3 pages)
- In Donald Barthelme’s novel Snow White, the main character Snow White contradicts the traits of a stereotypical 1960’s housewife. These traits, given to her by the author, differ from a typical 1960s housewife in appearance, demeanor, and priorities. The purpose of Barthelme’s presentation of Snow White in this manner is to expose the limitations of society’s gender roles rampant in the 1960s. In Barthelme’s novel Snow White, the protagonist, Snow White, is a 22 year old woman living with seven men.... [tags: Donald Barthelme]
975 words (2.8 pages)
- When it comes to the final presidential debate the finalist are a different type of people than the rest of this world. On the 26th of September 2016 at Hofstra University the first presidential debate was taken place and the moderator was Lester Holt. The two candidates were Hillary Clinton and Donald J. Trump. The debate was ninety minutes long and was distributed into six different sections which were each fifteen-minute-long and each candidate has two minutes to answers the question and then there will be a discussion.... [tags: Question, Answer, Donald Trump]
851 words (2.4 pages)
- Donald J. Trump, businessman and media mogul, has swept America off her feet and has taken her by storm. Since the announcement of his 2016 presidential campaign on June 16, 2015, nothing has stopped his rise to the top of the polls. He began his campaign with controversial statements, some so controversial they left many people wondering when he would finally say the wrong thing. His campaign also began with ridicule from many media outlets, establishment politicians, and celebrities. Later that year on December 8, satirical news organization The Onion published an article entitled ‘This Will Be The End Of Trump’s Campaign,’ Says Increasingly Nervous Man For Seventh Time This Year, hilariou... [tags: Donald Trump, Ivana Trump, The Apprentice]
1269 words (3.6 pages)
- Research Paper "Everything is uglier up close." Donald Trump is the front runner of the 2016 race for the Republican Nomination. Placing no consideration on the views of the ring wing conservatives, but rather just making a decision based off of how Donald Trump conducts himself, both in the present and past, Donald would not make America great again. Many situations and people look well off from a distance, yet most of the time the prettiest faces hide the worst secrets, the person who speaks the loudest is the most desperate to be heard, and someone who says they tell the truth are the most likely to lie.... [tags: Democracy, United States, Donald Trump, Voting]
2721 words (7.8 pages)
- The Journey of Donald Trump Billionaire real estate developer, Donald Trump has shown the world that he is one of the most respected and sometimes yet most hated person in the world. With these differing public views, as a person and a successful businessman, he has become one of the most followed persons across the world. Not a day goes by where he has not been googled on social media, and he is known for his tweets. Because he is so popular, multiple biographies and articles could be written about him.... [tags: Donald Trump, Ivana Trump]
1264 words (3.6 pages)
- In the midst of one of the most controversial presidential elections in history, both political parties are struggling to prove that their candidate is the best choice. Clinton and Trump’s disapproval ratings are very low, but one has to ask, is there really a lesser evil to choose from. While Clinton has had her own fair share of past discrepancies, Trump’s track record proves much more troublesome. Donald Trump has proven to be an untrustworthy presidential candidate because of his misogynistic actions, his racial bias, and his corrupt business history.... [tags: Donald Trump, Ivana Trump, Trump University]
1303 words (3.7 pages)
- The Publishing Career of Isabella Whitney The English Renaissance was a time of great literature. The world was changing and people were exploring their boundaries. In a time of such opportunity, women were often excluded. For instance, it was very difficult for women to receive education. Even if they did, it was extremely difficult for them to be accepted as writers and nearly impossible to have their work published. Only a small number of women writers succeeded in having their works published because of the many social barriers.... [tags: Author Writer Isabella Whitney Essays]
918 words (2.6 pages)
- Native American Mascots : Native Americans And A Glimpse Of Century Old Racism
- William Muir 's Police : Street Corner Politicians
- The Impact Of The Six Day War On The Peace Process Between Israel And The Palestinians
- My Service Learning At Alder Elementary School And The Second Place Would Be At The Oregon Food Bank
- Economic Developments Of China And South Korea
- Recruitment Process For Our Company